Close

Thread: Rack&pinion

FEP Member

Default Rack&pinion

so far I’ve replaced inner tie rods that were worn out,lower ball joints,rag joint,two new kyb’s excel g struts,new front and rear eibach swAybars.i do need new tires and a alignment but I’ve been taking the car out lately and I’m still noticing wandering from the front.ive come to the conclusion ThT my rack needs to be replaced.when I replaced the inner tie rods,I removed the bellows and there was some nasty fluid sitting in there.i knew that wasn’t a good sign.im looking for nothing more than a remanufactered oem rack.the amount of miles this will see is low so I don’t want anything more than stock.so which one do I get? 2.5 turn? 3 turn? With sport suspension? Without sport suspension?this is for a stock 85 gt..thanks for any suggestions.

2.5 turn w/ sport suspension should be what you want. Cardone 22207 or equiv.
    Thomas

1985 Mustang GT - Build Thread
    347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

Outer tie rod ends?

If any car had factory performance/sport steering, it would be a 85 Mustang GT.
    Never know what rack is installed. Or if it was replaced with correct one.
    Check lock to lock turns in driveway.

Common interchange numbers
    22-207 rack or 6439, 15:1 2.5 turns
    Another is 64163, 2.25 turns, also listed as 2.5 turns
    22-203 or 6412, 3.0 turns, also listed by some as sport app.
    Last edited by gr79; 06-10-2019 at 09:20 PM.

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Outer tie rod ends?

If any car had factory performance/sport steering, it would be a 85 Mustang GT.
    Never know what rack is installed. Or if it was replaced with correct one.
    Check lock to lock turns in driveway.

Common interchange numbers
    22-207 rack or 6439, 15:1 2.5 turns
    Another is 64163, 2.25 turns, also listed as 2.5 turns
    22-203 or 6412, 3.0 turns, also listed by some as sport app.
    thanks fella's! i was getting confused with all the different options.this narrows it down.gr.i plan on replacing outer tie rods when i switch the rack.they seem to be fine, but hey what the hell,might as well change them out too.

If you are lowered get a Maximum Motorsports bumpsteer kit. That will give you new outer ends that have vastly less play than the OE setup and they stay that way a long time.

Lets you get away with 1/16 to 0 toe where stock says 1/8”. Gives you better turn-in on corners and more stability in the corners

If you are thinking about 5 lug now is the time. Use 94-95 SN95 spindles with low friction SN95 balljoints. Get the SN95 on fox kit from MM

FEP Member

my Silverado motor kicked the bucket. has zero compression in number 6 cylinder.120,000 miles..go figure.merry Christmas to me.to the tune of 8000 for a new motor..wtf! Any how.i had to pull the stang out a few days to get to work.then realized.i never could figure out what the hell is causing this.i did replace the rack with a Napa reman.did a maximum Motorsports welded steering shaft.plus new wheels and brand new tires..I’m thinking the rack is a piece of crap? Any thoughts?all the other other stuff I replaced is in post 1.I can’t figure it out.can a column cause this?
    https://flic.kr/p/2mRaGd8
    Last edited by kfxmatt; 12-16-2021 at 06:58 PM.

FEP Member

Hope this works..Flickr is brutal..
    https://youtube.com/shorts/DH6ajiH6dXA?feature=share

FEP Member

Anyone?

Do you have a tilt column ?

FWIW on my sons 80 cobra (with a 79 tilt column unknown miles) it slowly got very loosey goosey especially on the highway. The steering wheel seemed to have slop. I found that there is hex head screw that tightens up the joint where the wheel tilts on the column which made a huge difference.

Not sure if this fits your symptoms or if 85 has the same setup (it might be a fixed joint) but if you can move the steering wheel a fair bit without it transferring the motion to the steering shaft maybe its its worn or loose etc.

I assume that is your hand turning the steering wheel slightly? If that is the case, it could definitely be slop in the rack and pinion unit that is allowing that. I would have someone hold the steering shaft with a pair of pliers and see if you have the same movement. If not, then I would definitely consider the rack the issue. If you still have the same play with someone holding the steering shaft, then most likely something in the column is worn or loose.

The other possible issue could be bad rack bushings also, so check those before just replacing the entire rack assembly. Quality Poly bushings or solid bushings from Maximum Motorsport can fix that issue easily and at a reasonable price. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Member

It is my hand.i do have tilt column,and I did snug those two bolts up awhile back.i wouldn’t be happy if that reman Napa rack was bad..going to try and pull the plastic pieces off the column and see what I can find.i woukd say it’s either the rack or the column.i will try the pliers on the shaft trick too..thanks!

FEP Member

Could be rack bushings, I replaced all that a few years ago, I can't move my steering wheel nearly that much. I second the opinion of have someone move the steering wheel while you look over each component for movement. With what you are showing, it should be visible.

FEP Power Member

The wider tires in 85 did sometimes cause a bit of pull to one side at times. Check air pressures and try rotating the tires. Did the alignment guys actually align it or just check it? Hopefully you got a print out.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

FEP Member

I had a few minutes today to breakdown the column and do some inspection..didn’t take long to see that my tilt steering mechanism knuckle is in bad shape.what now? Find a good donor? Or can this be repaired easily? A quick internet search didn’t pull up a lot of used columns for sale..I’m sure they are worn out too..hmmm..

FEP Member

Turns out my neighbor has a 89 donor car for his 84 roof skin replacement.has a real tight tilt column in it.other than the blinker switch and steering wheel,anything stop this from swapping in my 85?

FEP Member

Anyone know if the columns are the same?

FEP Senior Member

about 25 years ago i needed to change my 1985 column. replaced it with an 87. the only trouble i remember was the 85 was sae nut that held the steering wheel and the 87 was metric. FYI the GT has a different PS pump to go with the sport r+p.

Columns are interchangeable from 79-89. The 79-mid 1983 use the spline steering wheel shaft. The mid 1983-89 use the D shaped shaft. The switch gear is all removeable and can be swapped from old to new. Depending on cruise/no cruise tilt/no tilt there can be differences under the steering wheel, but are still able to be swapped. Lock cylinder can be removed from old column and swapped to new column so no need to rekey or new keys. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Member

Thank you everyone for the help.i was able to switch out the columns today,and it solved my steering wheel play perfectly.wow.like a whole new car to drive!