Close

Smile Ford explorer engine to a 1984 ford thunderbird

Hello everyone,
    I'm currently building my 1984 ford thunderbird, I took out the engine and transmission of it. I Rebuiled and resealed the aod transmission. But I have the engine out and saw that it had saw block damage. I was thinking to get a ford explorer with the gt40p heads and to used the aod out the 84. I believe I can still use the mechanical shift linkage for the manual valve but what tv cable could I use for the fuel injected explorer manifold with the 84 aod transmission? Also I also going for tubular k member and long exhaust headers. Which brand do you guys recommend for both items. I seen people that recommend to get 90 degree spark plugs and to wrap exhaust wrap. People also recommend change the cam and valve spring. I'm not really going for a race / track car, I just want a smooth cruise car. What other stuff sould i modify for this king of build. If any of you guys done this kind of build before, I will really appreciate your help, thank you guys in advance.

Cam and valve springs are a must. At minimum, run the stock Mustang HO cam.
    Jeremiah

1986 Mustang GT 5spd, 3.27's
    PimpXS ECU/Android Single DIN Touchscreen
    SN95 Cobra Brakes/SN95 Front LCA's/Axles/S197 Wheels
    1998 Explorer Engine/Stock HO Cam 281rwhp/326rwtq

Quote Originally Posted by Two86fiveoh's View Post
    Cam and valve springs are a must. At minimum, run the stock Mustang HO cam.
    Isn't the the mustang HO mustang a different firing order or is it the same as the explorer engine

Those have the same firing order. As stated, change the cam and valve springs. Alex's parts has a kit that many have used, as do a few other companies.

You can convert to cable AOD with parts from an '86-up AOD Mustang or other car from the era. Better yet, use a 4R70W with a controller box from Baumann.

For headers, watch the forum classifieds for a set of FRPP shorties. They pop up from time to time and will work well with the GT40p's. If you are running long tubes most people have no trouble with spark plug clearance.

Jonathan
    Last edited by slow84lx; 06-09-2019 at 09:06 PM.

Honestly, unless you are going carbed, you will be fighting the cfi system. Also the ford explorer intake isn't going to work with the cfi system and the h.o. cam will not work with the cfi system either.

Really I would go carbed or upgrade to an 86 up fuel injected intake.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar