Close

Default Hey 10-hole Lovers.....

…..LMR has added them to the mix! I'd suspect Turbines will be next. I don't know about you, but $549 seems like a fair deal if you need concours correct wheels and center caps. Probably $100-125ea to refinish a set?

https://lmr.com/item/WK-149573/musta...kit-15x7-79-93
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Imagine if you could them in a 9" and 10" widths.
    84 Cougar, 90 HO with 700DP, Edelbrock RPM intake, 1.7 RRs, shorty's and SS exh, T-5, KC clutch, Hurst pro billet, line loc, 8.8, 4.10s, suspension mods....blah, blah,blah.

71 Comet, 289, Liberty TL, 9", 6.00s, 11.9x @ 112.... blah, blah, blah.

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    …..LMR has added them to the mix! I'd suspect Turbines will be next. I don't know about you, but $549 seems like a fair deal if you need concours correct wheels and center caps. Probably $100-125ea to refinish a set?

https://lmr.com/item/WK-149573/musta...kit-15x7-79-93
    Jason, I'm not familiar with exact concours requirements but would a reproduction like this qualify as being "correct" for points instead of one searching for NOS replacements now? Like the TRX reproductions; do they meet "concours" or because they are different size they do not? OEM TRX rims still seem to be for sale and tires are still for sale by Coker IIRC. Asking for my info.

I saw those today. Would also be nice in a 5 lug version.
    1984 convertible 5.0 auto.

Quote Originally Posted by quickshift View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rich75043 View Post
    I saw those today. Would also be nice in a 5 lug version.
    Wouldn't that kind of defeat the whole "retro look" thing? Just my opinion of course.

And I don't know anything about the whole concours scene but I was under the impression everything had to be OEM not repop. Which is why certain NOS parts command sky high prices. But I could be wrong about that too. Wouldn't be the first time.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Anyone interested better jump on this first run of wheels quick because I do not believe there is in any way shape or form a sustainable market for these like the TRX or Pony. I doubt there will be a second run so make up your mind quick. EDIT: I waited to buy a set of the TRX wheels because I was not sure and had to wait for months. They were out of stock forever it seemed like. The reason being that LMR was waiting to see how much interest there was before committing to another run of wheels. So mine are from the second run. So I am telling you what I know to be the truth from LMR. Phone dials are like the 14 inch wagon wheel. They did not have love even when new. I was there. The Pony wheel did and the TRX did.....at least until you had to purchase a set of replacement tires anyway. The fact is people liked the way the TRX looked. At least the TRX wheel design has stood the test of time. The phone dials still just make me want to replace them every time I see them on anything. So boring.
    Last edited by homer302; 06-08-2019 at 06:59 PM.

I just read what I posted and I tickled myself. I wonder how many of you are thinking to yourself......What is a phone dial???? Well, I guess you had to be there. If you do a Google search for a "rotary phone", you will see why that wheel was instantly named a phone dial back in the '80s. God I'm old.

I've always liked the 10-holes... even back then. Whether you're a fan or not, one thing is for certain... just because they weren't popular back then doesn't mean they aren't now (and vice versa). It seems like these days, slamming them and putting big wheels on them (17-18", which is big compared to back then) is popular. I'm still partial to the 15-16", even though I just got a set of 17" 10th anniversary wheels for my pace car. I think a little of me is going to die when I bolt them on lol!

Quote Originally Posted by mmb617 View Post
    Wouldn't that kind of defeat the whole "retro look" thing? Just my opinion of course.

And I don't know anything about the whole concours scene but I was under the impression everything had to be OEM not repop. Which is why certain NOS parts command sky high prices. But I could be wrong about that too. Wouldn't be the first time.
    Not really being that the lugs are behind the center cap and not seen.
    1984 convertible 5.0 auto.

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by mmb617 View Post

Only Concours, Unrestored and Thoroughbred need original parts. Reproductions are permitted in some classes such as Concours but some points could be deducted if it could be noticed as not original. Some points are better than no points. It would be difficult to notice 5 lugs on a 10 hole. Odds are there will be a noticeable defect on repros.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

I already posted it in the other thread, but seeing as how this seems to be where all the cool kids are posting...

I am a little surprised to see the repopped, but the potential to take this to the next level and repop some center caps for the Mercury guys is a happy thought.

Name:  20190223_174454.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  84.9 KB

I have one set of 10 holes on the Zephyr and an extra set of 4 because they came on a parts car I had. I'm not big fan of how they look, but they work and they're easy enough to clean. What LMR needs to reproduce is some 16" x 8" mesh wheels in 4 lug and 5 lug.
    Matt
    1984 Thunderbird -- 1989 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake, Edelbrock 600 4bbl, 85 Mustang dizzy, Jegs o/r h pipe, Dynomax mufflers, Mustang AOD & shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Mustang front & rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 TC struts & shocks, and Mustang 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT hatch -- Explorer intake, GT40 heads with Trick Flow spring kit, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, 70mm MAF, 70mm throttle body, o/r H pipe, Dynomax mufflers, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 Deluxe handle, clutch quadrant & firewall adjuster, and 3.27s
    (86 Mercury Cougar 5.0, 89 Lincoln Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 80 Mercury Zephyr 4 door) sold

Regarding the Concours discussion....some of our judges can chime in here if they want to. I doubt most judges will pop a center cap off of a car to determine if the wheel is original or repop And if these things are built to exact spec, which it appears they are you aren't going to visually spy any differences like you can on the TRX with the extra outer lip to compensate for the 390mm vs 16".

Maybe in another 10-20 years when these things are getting charged $50 to be judged like the vintage Shelby's via SAAC? Now THAT is some SERIOUS and crazy judging there
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Kinda cool they are being reproduced. Funny, around here in St. Louis so many sets of those got junked as peeps in the 90's were replacing them with the "Pony" rims.
    I like the 10-holes on my 85 notch, I think they look great even if they are just sprayed with argent silver.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Exactly what I thought, I'm not a huge fan of the 10 hole but they would be much more appealing in a wider width, even a big/ littles combo where you could get a 4 and a 9.5 or 10.
    1984.5 G.T.350 had since 16y/o
    95 Cobra, Crystal White

FEP Senior Member

I love 10 holes...especially if they are wrapped in Gatorbacks. Hopefully they will sell well.

love to see them 5 lug, 17" or 18" and 9"-10.5" wide
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

FEP Power Member Jerry peachuer's Avatar

I was just quoted 125.00 per wheel to restore original 10 hole

I'm close to going through with it but appears the difference is minimal for new set and my car isn't concourse but I respect the men and women who do chase that purity of level on a build

Isn't there a design difference from 85-86 and 87- up on the d hole style? Visually difference?

Quote Originally Posted by noac View Post
    I love 10 holes...especially if they are wrapped in Gatorbacks. Hopefully they will sell well.
    Agreed! I wonder if they have the rough texture on the inside of the holes like the originals? Appears to be smooth from the pics.
    86 Mustang GT T Top 2A 20k miles
    95 Toyota FZJ80 Landcruiser triple locked expedition rig
    87 Saleen sold
    84 GT350 #1808 Sold
    86 GT Sold brother has it.

Quote Originally Posted by VEGAS4EYE View Post
    Agreed! I wonder if they have the rough texture on the inside of the holes like the originals? Appears to be smooth from the pics.
    My first thought when seeing the first picture was something is slightly off. I still have my original gatorbacks on my rims & would love to replace the set with these rims & repop gaterbacks. 33 year old tires make me nervous.
    Andy G.
    1986 Mustang GT vert, 2R, original owner, 5 spd, 19k miles
    1986 Mustang SVO, 1C, comp prep, 3rd owner, 48k miles
    1989 Ranger GT -SOLD-
    2004 T-Bird, triple black, SST

10 holes make great hose racks in the shop!
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

Redneck Riviera, Fort Walton Beach Florida

There are places will narrow them to 4" or widen them, I don't know what the widening limit is though. Have heard of people getting narrow enough to run a motorcycle tire on them, not something I would do, but whatever.
    1985 LTD LX, Mach1 brakes, 17" Mopar police car wheels. 302, T5, 4.10s
    1984 LTD station wagon, with 84GT nose, some might remember it as the old Dugan Racing station wagon.
    1986 FHP coupe, stock shortblock, TW heads, Holley SMII intake, 4.88, T5Z
    1990 Red LX, ported AFR heads, TFS-R box upper, weenie cam, 1 3/4 long accufabs, 3" exhaust, T5, 4.56

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry peachuer View Post
    I was just quoted 125.00 per wheel to restore original 10 hole

I'm close to going through with it but appears the difference is minimal for new set and my car isn't concourse but I respect the men and women who do chase that purity of level on a build

Isn't there a design difference from 85-86 and 87- up on the d hole style? Visually difference?
    We had a thread on here some eleventy-billion years ago about the subtle differences of 10-hole wheel finishes. Most of them were things like the circular groove having varying 'shoulders' or bevels to them as well as some being machined and others being cast. I'll see if I can dig it up, but who knows if the pictures are still there. This was one of those things I chased for a while for the heck of it because I thought it was a bit interesting.

....Annnd on edit:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...hined+10+holes

Alas, most of the pictures are gone, as expected, but there's discussion and part numbers regarding the differences found.

When I bought mine last year, it still had the original 10-hold rims and the original Gatorback tires. They only had about 7,500 miles on them. After hauling it home, I drove it on the original tires from my house to the nearest gas station. It felt like I was driving across boulders. I replaced them with some non-Gatorbacks so I can drive it. I see LMR has the Gatorback reproductions for $350 each and am tempted...but not too tempted.

Name:  IMG_6490.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  132.8 KB

1985 Ford Mustang GT, 8K miles, Oxford White with Stripe, Sun Roof
    US Air Force 1985 - 2015 (30 years)
    Past Mustangs:
    1985 Ford Mustang GT, Oxford White, T-Tops
    1976 Ford Mustang II, Cobra II package, Black and Gold