Close

Thread: Bought an 86 GT

Talking Bought an 86 GT

Not like I need another fox or project but this car really caught my eye and the price was good. It runs very well too.

Name:  20190605_161449.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  124.9 KB

What really intrigued me about it was that the original colour is light regatta blue. One of my favorites.

Name:  20190605_161419.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  162.6 KB

The interior is decent. Could use a cleaning and a few trim pieces.

Name:  20190605_161613.jpg
Size:  119.5 KB

Not sure about keeping the svo sail panels but the spoiler must go.

Name:  20190605_161511.jpg
Size:  138.3 KB

The worst part will be dealing with the half replaced ttop seals and the driver side A pillar has some odd damage that looks like something fell on it.

I think this car is at a point where if someone doesn't put the effort in it will end up needing major help. But I also think it is not really a major project as it sits either.

Most importantly she still pulls like a friggen freight train.

I hope you enjoyed checking it out.

Name:  20190605_161500.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  132.7 KB

Sweet.

Looks like a great starting point for a really nice Fox IMHO. Personally I like the SVO sail panels, especially on the 85/86 cars too. The 87-93 Aero rear spoiler NOT so much. Was never a huge fan anyway, but it just looks wrong on the Four Eyes IMHO. Can't tell if they swapped the entire hatch or just welded up the original spoiler holes to fit the Aero wing. Either way, I would swap back to the stock 1 piece deck spoiler if you want the original look or even a Saleen rear spoiler if you don't want to drill holes in the hatch. Besides the Saleen spoiler would go well with the rear spat(s) or at least the driver side.

The interior looks to be in very good shape and pretty clean for a car of that age. Regatta blue was never my favorite color, but its not bad and you definitely don't see them too often anymore either. If the price was right and you had the room, I would definitely buy it myself . . . . . BUT then again I do have a problem!
    Last edited by wraithracing; 06-06-2019 at 08:11 AM.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

The previous owner said the car had a Saleen spoiler. I am kind of hoping it is in the crate of parts that came with the car but I will be going back to the original spoiler. I have an extra hatch with a 3 piece that I might fit up just to see how it looks.

The spats will be coming off too. Hopefully I can sell the junk I don't want to put towards some side mouldings. Not sure if I will be able to find them in the junkers around here anymore.

Thankfully those two GT moulding pieces are in the hatch. That made me very happy.

Great find - love 86’s

Those look a lot like the elusive 84-85 Saleen spat.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by erratic50; 06-06-2019 at 11:49 AM.

Wouldn't that be cool if they are? It would be great to reunite them with a Saleen that needs them. I will be sure to remove them with care and take some good pics.

Yes it would be!

A small handful of 86 Saleens got the 84-85 spats and 3 piece front facia in Urethane .... the absolute rarest for the four eyed Saleen facias of them all, AFAIK.

There are getting to be less and less Saleens out there all the time that are wearing their proper 84-85 style facia and spats.

So many were "fixed" with 86 body kits a after mishaps that more than 1/2 the 85's I've seen at car shows recently are wearing 86 parts if they have Saleen parts at all.

There's rumor that there are a few "big wing" spoilers floating around out there. Unclear if they are new old stock or someone has found a way to reproduce them or what..... I've never seen one.

Most would suggest those should probably be reserved for preserving the original 84-85 cars. While probably true the same argument could have been made for the Racecraft suspension and spoiler and body kit on my 85.... so don't think for a second that I wouldn't put a big wing on my silver mystery build if I had the chance. And not because they look better. Because BIG WING.
    Last edited by erratic50; 06-06-2019 at 03:53 PM.

Very cool info. I've never done much research on Saleen Mustangs. Sadly the Saleen spoiler was not with the parts. Sent the previous owner a text about it.

Have to run back out that way again anyways to pick up an extra engine for the turbo Plymouth Voyager in the background of those pics. Would be nice to get that spoiler if possible.

I know this isn't a Dodge forum but I am surprised nobody mentioned it. You do not see many factory turbo minivans wearing Shelby wheels with Nitto drag radials lol. Might have to take some pics for the cool cars thread if it ever stops raining here.

Congrats on the purchase. Doesn't look bad at all. I noticed a Capri sitting back there as well.

My 83 Capri GS. That's my baby

Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI View Post
    The previous owner said the car had a Saleen spoiler. I am kind of hoping it is in the crate of parts that came with the car but I will be going back to the original spoiler. I have an extra hatch with a 3 piece that I might fit up just to see how it looks.

The spats will be coming off too. Hopefully I can sell the junk I don't want to put towards some side mouldings. Not sure if I will be able to find them in the junkers around here anymore.

Thankfully those two GT moulding pieces are in the hatch. That made me very happy.
    I really like the look of the 3 piece spoiler, that'll look great imho
    1984.5 G.T.350 had since 16y/o
    95 Cobra, Crystal White

I'd like an 86 spoiler but the 3 peice beats that aero gt spoiler on a budget.

Here are all the parts included.

Name:  20190608_100814.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  117.5 KB

There also looks to be a full set of weather strip in the hatch. I will never want for a map light again.

Check out the map light with the sun visor clips. I have never seen one in a Mustang. I would guess that's a Fairmont, LTD, or Thunderbird deal. Cool though! Nice stash of parts. Good Deal!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Nice score!

If you get rid of the SVO sail panels they could be sold easily. You can't make offers outside of the for sale forum but if a total stranger sent me an IM and offered me some SVO sail panels I would likely be interested in them. Not that I would buy yours because this is not the for sale forum of course. I was just speaking theoretically.
    That's a nice find. It does look to be pretty much intact and mostly all there. I think it's a nice find personally.

Great looking 86. Now more importantly, what color is it going to be?

I am thinking of sticking with the factory color but also have a few other ideas.

I am sad to report that the previous owner no longer has the Saleen spoiler. Oh well.

I have decided that I need to replace the passenger side fender. It looks like it may have been dented and filled with mud.

I also noticed that the very bottom edge of the rear bumper looks clearanced for some reason. Not sure how much that bothers me at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI View Post
    I know this isn't a Dodge forum but I am surprised nobody mentioned it. You do not see many factory turbo minivans wearing Shelby wheels with Nitto drag radials lol. Might have to take some pics for the cool cars thread if it ever stops raining here.
    I noticed it. My childhood friend that got me into cars, his mom had one of those when we were in high school. He said that thing was pretty fast. His dad had a transmission shop so it wasn't stock. Was a nice little sleeper grocery getter.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Check out the map light with the sun visor clips. I have never seen one in a Mustang. I would guess that's a Fairmont, LTD, or Thunderbird deal. Cool though! Nice stash of parts. Good Deal!
    It’s from a Pinto/Bobcat or a Mustang II
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

Thumbs up

Sweet! I would love to find a Bobcat to install it in.

Debating if this non cruise wheel (that I apparently stored in a ditch for the last decade) will increase my driving enjoyment. I wish it was the GT version. It would match my LX dash bezel...

Name:  20190610_155525.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  72.7 KB

I'm sure I can find the proper GT bezel in my stash of parts at work but damn this wheel with that LX bezel would be so nostalgic. My first car I bought was an 86 LX... hmmmmm.

I haven't done much work to the car (It has rained non stop for 30 days now) since my last post aside from tightening things down, eliminating rattles, ect but starting to think about paint. I have had a few different ideas but keep coming back to blue.

Name:  20190708_112555.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  122.2 KB

I cleaned a little patch off to match up some paint but one thing led to another and I got thinking... hmmm... what if I amped this up and made it look like candy?

Name:  20190708_125639.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  66.5 KB

Still undecided. It may well just end up charcoal or maybe a more modern color like leadfoot grey. I just don't want it to be to boring.