Close

Thread: Water pump

Default Water pump

Hey guys I’m building a 347. Going to install the water pump (flowkooler 1660) and the bolts on the backing plate seem to be too big and hit the timing cover and would keep it from sealing properly. I didn’t know if there smaller bolts I could get for that or grind the head of the bolts. Any input would be great. Sorry if this is a stupid question.

don't their kits come with bolts? Seems like they may have -- can't remember. Its been a while since the first time I've seen one.

Seems to me the one I saw installed had allen head bolts holding it on.

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    don't their kits come with bolts? Seems like they may have -- can't remember. Its been a while since the first time I've seen one.

Seems to me the one I saw installed had allen head bolts holding it on.
    It came with two bolts on the backing plate which hit the timing cover. I will post a picture in a few

Typically they come with 5/16 bolts that have a very thin head on the backing plate...about half the thickness of regular bolts in your pictures.

Would that be enough for clearance on your cover etc ?

Quote Originally Posted by at_the_junkyard View Post
    Typically they come with 5/16 bolts that have a very thin head on the backing plate...about half the thickness of regular bolts in your pictures.

Would that be enough for clearance on your cover etc ?
    I believe if it was half the thickness it would work. Thank you

FEP Senior Member

Wrong bolts, they should be larger diameter and about 1/3 thick.

+1 - those bolts need to have a much thinner head

Initially I guess I thought you were asking about the other bolts that are used to bolt the pump on.

Be sure to watch it on these bolts. I’ve had just as many water pumps push out this gasket as I have had pumps that fail.

Ive never played with stuff like high tack on this gasket but plan to the next time I put one together.

Do you still have the old water pump? The correct bolts should be on it...

Thank you everyone for your input, I ended up just grinding the heads of the bolts.

The old water pump is still on the car. Currently building an engine on the stand.
    Thanks guys

Related question, hope this isn't a hijack- it's been quite a while since I replaced one- seems like one needs to remove those two bolts and use a bit of sealant on the gasket between the pump and backing plate? In addition to the gasket between it and the timing cover? Ie- seal both gaskets with rtv.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

According to the directions that came with my water pump, you are supposed to leave them there. It tells you to check and tighten them if needed.

When removing the bolts from my old one, I broke one of them. Here's a new one with an old one.

I decided to grind down the head on the new one to match. I guess that's another one of those things you have to do that no one tells you about. Either swap in the old bolts or grind the new ones down.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Be careful with swapping bolts. Wanted to do that myself last water pump job but the threads were different. Had to grind down the new.