Close

Default LMR Taillight replacement

So I finally got around to getting new taillight lens for my 84 convertible. Results were spotty but good enough. The big problems are that the lens covers have a slight warp to them which wont allow them to fully seat in the housing. The corner closest to the licence plate is lifted up more then the rest of the assembly. I'm debating putting a dab of clear silicone to keep moisture out.

so here's pics of what I did.

The main reason for doing this was the reflective paint was dull and people kept telling me my brake lights were out on sunny days. So i painted the black parts flat black and the reflective surface chrome.

Name:  Resized_20190602_135742_9777.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  28.4 KB

I got my new tail lens weather stripping from CJ Pony parts because they sell it 9 bucks cheaper then LMR and it's still a Daniel carpenter part. The fitment wasn't great on these. The round and oval shaped ones fit okay, but the oblong shaped one does not seat very well. I used two layers of butyl tape to get it to sit but after installing on the body the oblong ones slipped into the hole they are supposed be seated firmly around. No way to remedy. Have to live with it.

Name:  Resized_20190602_154027_2069.jpg
Size:  39.2 KB

Here is a close up of the corner that wont seat all the way down. Look at the reviews of the 83-84 two piece kits on LMR and one guy complained of the same thing. It's another case of Daniel Carpenter using cheap plastic with original Ford tooling. It does this on both lens's despite my removing the lens and placing a second layer of butyl tape into the channel. I even lifted the corners just enough to stuff a third layer of butyl tape into the corners but the warp is too profound and lifts right up as soon as I released hand pressure. I feel maybe an extra clip might pull it down but there's only 5 pads that take clips on my 84. You can't just place clips anywhere you want to on the housing.

Name:  Resized_20190602_161123_9938.jpg
Size:  37.0 KB

I must say they do look nice once installed. Besides having had a cracked lens on the passenger side I also had two mismatched lens's. Looked like I had an 83-84 on one side and an 85 on the other. Slight difference in the red and more then slight difference on the amber lens. So uniformity looks good.

Name:  Resized_20190602_182231_2332.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  27.0 KB

So besides the lens warp, and the oblong tail light weatherstripping not sitting right my last observation is that the butyl tape kit from LMR (and other aftermarket sources) is a waste of money. They charge 20 bucks and give you about 5 or 6 feet of butyl tape and a set of clips. My original clips were better than the ones they supplied and I didn't need theirs. Since I needed extra layers of butyl tape what they give wouldn't have been enough. I got 40 feet of 1/4 inch butyl tape at Home depot for $4.95 so 20 bucks for 6 feet is a ripoff. Sorry LMR. Dont be so cheap. Some people might need new clips but you need to double even triple the butyl tape you give.
    Last edited by fgross2006; 06-04-2019 at 08:01 AM.

Wondering if you could take the warp out by warming the lenses while fully taped down?
    1985 GT owned since new

I have no experience with the new replacement lenses. I will say that I have seen the exact same issues with OEM lenses and housings over the years. Unfortunately I think much of this goes to 1980's engineering and design. Not quite the same fit and finish that is more common on today's vehicles, very annoying to say the least. I personally have not found a good way to fix it easily or effectively short of actually bonding/gluing the lens to the housings. Not even sure that is a good idea either as it may cause one or both to crack due to expansion and contraction with temperature changes.

Although you were prefer better quality, I am not sure Daniel Carpenter is to blame for any of this other than using the OEM Ford molds to manufacture the parts. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I put a bead of black silicone around them rather than the butyl tape, then clamped them together for 48 hours. No gaps anywhere!

This does nothing really to help the cause here but it's still relevant. Ford never intended the lenses to be removed. If you damage the lens you replace the whole housing. Lazy people pry off the lenses to change bulbs. That is not the intended method. Bulbs can easily be changed inside the car. The set on my '84 has never had the lenses pulled off and it's very easy to tell. They fit perfectly. No warping. I have 3 sets I specifically collect over the years this way as that was always a peeve of mine. They never, ever press back even like they were from the factory.