Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally ....

Quote Originally Posted by mmb617 View Post

Them there's fight'n words to even suggest such a thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    Yea! And we get mean .....

Oh well.

I guess you can't blame a guy for trying.

Wow....just watched a 9.98 video you posted over on TF. What RPM are you trapping?

Since you've been there, done that...what do you feel is the power limitation of a stock 2.3t long block? What was your limitation on T5? What I'd really like to do is build a 10 sec 2.3t in my 85 and take it to drag week one year. Turn off the boost controller and cruise on to the track with the A/C on. LOL
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Quote Originally Posted by droopie85gt View Post
    Wow....just watched a 9.98 video you posted over on TF. What RPM are you trapping?

Since you've been there, done that...what do you feel is the power limitation of a stock 2.3t long block? What was your limitation on T5? What I'd really like to do is build a 10 sec 2.3t in my 85 and take it to drag week one year. Turn off the boost controller and cruise on to the track with the A/C on. LOL
    This machine is now a stalwart 9.82 @ 136.36 on the 1320 feet.....with less than 7 grand throught the first four gears.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdC7WNK_CuE

Quote Originally Posted by martin0660 View Post
    Where to start with all that ....

Transmission is a 3.13 1st gear G101a ...

It needs more gear to better 60’ times. In that test we went from 6200 to 6800, that video was 6800 .., there is no higher going from 4.10 rear gear back to 4.30.

There is no gear change up tip, bar is in 4rg before the 1/8th mile and there are no more gears.

If I dropped tire pressure it makes slicks into a ball, itsure isn’t spinning on a 28-10.50 stiff wall slick.

Car is on Renegade 110+ pro fuel. I can add more boost but I get nervous above 28#

Car has been 138 mph but it’s not happy. Study it this was, went 10.09 last time out with 1.38 60’ ... car had been 1.354 60’ with 4.30 gear ... I will go into the 9’s at 135 mph when I get the 60’ back

Got treed on responding, but to your questions ...

With the 4.30 gear is goes through at 6700 rpm (shifted at 6400 other gears).

The timing of block limitation is impeccable ... I’m down for the season because I split #4 cylinder open like a fat kid trying to get in the Oreos. Block was filled to 2” from deck, solicitation is 1 hp less than I. Making, lol ... in reality, 58 passes last season, 65 this season, all well north of 500 hp so they are strong enough for that.

T5 I went barely into the 10’s on a synchronized G Force T5 ... went into bottom 10’s on dog ring G Forces. Much like the block, my issues with them was more about reps than power. It would break a mainshaft somewhere between 50 and 75 passes.

I still do that, drive mine around on the wastegate spring, then have 2 other settings, one used to be my 10.50 index setting, the other “all out”. Those evolved this year into 10..00 index and all out, but same thoughts.

Aleem did drag week this year withone able to run 10.90-11.20 kind of deal. There was 4 other 2.3 out there that was slower but ran the entire week.
    Bob Myers ©

84 Capri RS Turbo - Only a 4 banger - 1/8th 6.29@110, 1/4 9.87@137

Picture of split #4 hole ....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/49sb9yiSL3LhdQ8z8

I posted this on TF, but best parts of best passes...

Best 60� - 1.34
    Best 1/8th ET - 6.23
    Best 1/8th MPH - 111
    Best 1/4 ET - 9.82
    Best 1/4 MPH - 140.36
    Last edited by martin0660; 09-22-2019 at 02:30 PM.
    Bob Myers ©

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    This machine is now a stalwart 9.82 @ 136.36 on the 1320 feet.....with less than 7 grand throught the first four gears.
    ]
    Thanks. Car duplicated the 9.82 several times but never bettered that. Killed the short block before I had a chance to make a few attempts to turn it up in fall air. Oh well, new shortblock build already started and I’ll be back next season with some improved items and everything fresh.
    Bob Myers ©

Bob, is your setup out of steam at 6400 because of the cam, the turbo, or head/intake?

As I said I want to build a low 10 high 9 turbo 2.3 and have been reading over your 'recipe' on TF.
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

I wish i knew the answer because I would fix it, lol....

Head is solid, shouldn’t be the issue... intake is pretty max effort, shouldn’t be the issue ... cam is generally small, but I’ve tested bigger and not gained anything ... turbo should be plenty, so likely my log header is the bottle neck, but it so damn durable I’m not changing it.

The bigger question in your quest isn’t about making the power, more about what your going to do for a transmission behind it
    Bob Myers ©

My brother has a big block toploader stashed at his friends house. Long story, his HS buddy has an incredible collection of cars and parts and never moved out of the house (55yrs old). We looked for it a couple of weeks ago and didn't find it. But there's a couple more sheds and piles of crap to look thru. So that's my plan for a transmission as I slowly work up a 2.3t recipe.

depending upon plenum and runner you might be running into induction velocity related RPM limitation. Might have to look up what you're running and see.

Not the same engine, but Tom Moss took an Explorer intake and shortened it 2 full inches in the running and increased the "nose over" point or RPM from 5800 to just past 6000 and duplicated what he was getting from a "cobra" upper on the same lower.

anyway -- I haven't read about your throttle body or intake or anything else in your combo lately but I mention because its an often overlooked detail.

basic info: https://www.enginebasics.com/Advance...%20Length.html
    Last edited by erratic50; 10-02-2019 at 11:30 PM.

I hate this site for pictures, but I have a substantially worked lower, plenum upper that is sized correctly, and a 65mm TB.

I’ve already started to upgrade my intercooler and 2 1/2” charge pipes to 3”. I’ve been suspecting the intercooler a while. When it was installed I never planned to go much better than 10.90’s, lol
    Bob Myers ©

I think you should go to a better header and step up to a T4.

Mike

Just sayin'

Turbo is a T4 .., it’s just in a AGP housing with a T3 inlet pattern
    Bob Myers ©

Your car has got to be one of my all-time favorite 4-banger turbo foxes. In the 9's is absolutely outrageous when you consider what you have to do to most V8 cars to get them there. And yes-- we know this 4 banger has been worked HEAVILY everywhere. Still -- love it. Change plugs in 1/2 the time.

Your car has got to be one of my all-time favorite 4-banger turbo foxes. In the 9's is absolutely outrageous when you consider what you have to do to most V8 cars to get them there. And yes-- we know this 4 banger has been worked HEAVILY everywhere. Still -- love it. Change plugs in 1/2 the time.

How about more pictures of this car please?
    1993 triple white GT
    2004 AZ Mach 1
    2003 zinc yellow Cobra
    1983 410 Windsor tko 500

Here are a few of it sitting....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MWA5L9kq29qhQcBo7
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/2JNgAUiyHNNrUoV47

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mrQikVx4Q569fatB8

No sure what you want to se. Have lots of pictures, just not a lot of current ones I can link. Facebook everything now, lol.
    Bob Myers ©

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    Thanks guys, it keeps me excited still ...

It’s been a hell of a season for me, car did more that I ever thought it would. Beside the good, I split the block on cylinder #4 testing for Bowling Green and ended my season.

I have a new core block at the machine shop already, working on a few durability upgrades over winter, and will be back at it for spring.
    Bob Myers ©

That split looks similar to what happened with my old 85 Ranger 2.3. One hole had multiple cracks.
    Had low oil pressure.. real low. Ignored it. Slow death. Had aftermarket gauges and have them in my 93.
    The white cloud eventually appeared behind truck. Coasted it back onto my driveway!
    Sold the truck to my Ford dealer parts guy who wanted it whenever i was ready. That event did it.
    Seen it torn down in the service bay. Was part of the sale to find out what happened.
    They put another engine in it, ran for years. May still be out there.

Thanks guys, it keeps me excited still ...

It’s been a hell of a season for me, car did more that I ever thought it would. Beside the good, I split the block on cylinder #4 testing for Bowling Green and ended my season.

I have a new core block at the machine shop already, working on a few durability upgrades over winter, and will be back at it for spring.
    Did you find an aftermarket block? I saw the pics of you filling a new one, but I'm not familiar with the 2.3 enough yet to tell. Also, I was wondering if you think the .030 bore had anything to do with your split?

Here are a few of it sitting....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MWA5L9kq29qhQcBo7
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/2JNgAUiyHNNrUoV47

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mrQikVx4Q569fatB8

No sure what you want to se. Have lots of pictures, just not a lot of current ones I can link. Facebook everything now, lol.
    That is one sweet ride for sure . I am sending those pics to my buddy . he is restoring his 1986 5.0 t-top Capri
    1993 triple white GT
    2004 AZ Mach 1
    2003 zinc yellow Cobra
    1983 410 Windsor tko 500

No way anyone would EVER suspect a 9 second ride at when they are giving you crap at a stoplight!

I think you hit the nail on the head on where your nose-over condition is at. It's like your motor was just back there talking smack.

Its sayin that Mickey Mouse called and he wants his air inlet tubes and inner-cooler back or something.

I run a 65MM on my Typhoon on my V8. Even in N/A form its large enough. Boost pressure does wonders for overall flow CFM too.

Still, knowing that when you double the tube size you 4x the air flow it seems like a good place to look for power.

Or maybe put a NOS jet in there. You know -- to make sure the air inlet temps are cool enough. Maybe a little 75 shot -- "just incase".

Did you find an aftermarket block? I saw the pics of you filling a new one, but I'm not familiar with the 2.3 enough yet to tell. Also, I was wondering if you think the .030 bore had anything to do with your split?
    I did not find just a block. Had some full tall deck stuff offered but mostly well beyond my budget.

Just filled a good core block, even if I find an aftermarket block, I want to move my rotator to a new block as a spare at least. Lots of value in the rotator anyway.

Regarding .030 ... yes/no/sort of, lol ... these blocks suffer from thin cylinders in the front of #4 and the rear of #1. Plenty strong on the thrust, but thin in those spots in particular. Some data, we sonic checked the block I’m building on now and it’s much thicker. We broke a piece out of my old block where it spilt and it was only .095 thick ... figure -.015 for .030 over so it was only .125 thick there to start ... new block will be at least that thick even with .030 over.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xkydPQ3HMhSMEuwM8

Keep in mind, although those numbers seem scary, that block went more than 120 passes north of 500 rwhp over 2 seasons before it split. Not a perfect situation, but the different between .020 over or .030 isn’t enough to make a difference and the “good rings” are only available like that.
    Bob Myers ©

Or maybe put a NOS jet in there. You know -- to make sure the air inlet temps are cool enough. Maybe a little 75 shot -- "just incase".
    Some years ago, I had nitrous on the car. A little 50 shot made 90 more hp, and like 134 ft/lbs. amazing stuff...

The problem with it and my deal is simple ... it’s all or nothing to have it. Car is geared for the stripe, I cross at 6800 rpm that is actually a touch high, but need that gear to 60’ well ... if I add spray it would either be silly rpm through the traps or change gear to something suitable for the spray. On the other hand, if I gear for the spray, it won’t perform without it,.
    Bob Myers ©

Quote Originally Posted by 2camsam View Post
    That is one sweet ride for sure . I am sending those pics to my buddy . he is restoring his 1986 5.0 t-top Capri
    Thanks. It takes better pictures than it really is. Paint is wonderful but starting to show it’s age
    Bob Myers ©

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast