Close

Thread: Ignition setup

Default Ignition setup

Picking up all new ignition setup for my 84 with 91 302(converted to carb). Been doing lots of reading on here and other places and it seems like staying with motorcraft duraspark ignition module and coil is the way to go. Motor is stock other than intake and headers. Have a 85 OEM cardone select distributor to go with it. Just to be straight all I need is the module and coil?
    This is what I'm looking at.
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mof-dy893/

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/mof-dg470/
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

I am running the MSD Blaster coil and MSD 6AL ignition box on my carbd 95 cobra motor. They make a plug you can purchase that plugs the box into the distributor. If you are running a roller motor make sure it has a steel gear on the distributor or you will have a lot of problems destroying the gear and metal into the motor.
    1967 mustang coupe -sold
    1967 cougar GT - sold
    1984 Mustang L 5.0L - Totaled
    1984 Mustang GT 5.0L
    2007 Mustang GT convertible ( wifes car)
    1997 F-350 powerstroke
    USMC Retired 1981-2001

Quote Originally Posted by supercharged347 View Post
    I am running the MSD Blaster coil and MSD 6AL ignition box on my carbd 95 cobra motor. They make a plug you can purchase that plugs the box into the distributor. If you are running a roller motor make sure it has a steel gear on the distributor or you will have a lot of problems destroying the gear and metal into the motor.
    Yup made sure the dizzy had a steel gear. I was originally going to get the msd streetfire box and a msd blaster coil but read that people had problems with them and the best choice of action was good ol motorcraft duraspark. Price is right on them also.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Can anyone confirm that the parts I linked in my first post will work with my setup? Just want to make sure before ordering. Thanks
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

The exact same (look up for '84 302 Mustang) module should be less $ with shipping from RockAuto, and I don't believe you need a TFI type coil... it won't directly connect up with the 1984 car's wiring anyway... I guess maybe depending on what engine was in it originally (?). Anyway, for DuraSpark II, use whatever canister type ignition coil that was in the car, or get a standard canister type ignition coil... Motorcraft, or Accel SuperCoil, etc...
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 05-27-2019 at 09:17 PM.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Tall View Post
    The exact same (look up for '84 302 Mustang) module should be less $ with shipping from RockAuto, and I don't believe you need a TFI type coil... it won't directly connect up with the 1984 car's wiring anyway... I guess maybe depending on what engine was in it originally (?). Anyway, for DuraSpark II, use whatever canister type ignition coil that was in the car, or get a standard canister type ignition coil... Motorcraft, or Accel SuperCoil, etc...
    Ok thanks, can a guy use the msd blaster 2 coil or is that overkill?
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Quote Originally Posted by Sask84gt View Post
    Ok thanks, can a guy use the msd blaster 2 coil or is that overkill?
    Is overkill a bad thing? lol ... whatever makes good strong lightning

Assuming you've got coil 8200 or 8203 on hand already, and it checks out in the neighborhood of the specs of 0.700 ohms primary and 4.70K ohms secondary resistance with a multi-meter, hook 'er up, should work fine.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

FEP Member

I'm using the blaster2 coil too highly recommended:
    https://www.summitracing.com/int/sea...blaster%20coil

Thanks guys, duraspark 2 and msd blaster 2 coil it is!
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Anything else I should be looking at replacing that goes with this stuff? Ie: connectors, wires, brackets etc. Want to make sure I get all I need concerning ignition in one order.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

I ran the DSII distributor with a MSD Streetfire box. It was easy to hookup because MSD makes a harness that plugs into the DS and attaches directly to the MSD input. 12v and ground to the battery and connect the 12v switched to the old ignition wire or a 12v source that stays hot during crank and you've got a great ignition system.
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes