Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

"670" is corporate marketing nonsense, by the way. Just sayin'. As has always been, is still, and will always be: 1-1/4" primary & 1-5/16" secondary venturi diameters; and 1-9/16" throttle bores = 600cfm Holley carburetor. Tune accordingly. I've seen and fixed enough dysfunctionally-calibrated street avenger (and other apparently "new and improved") carburetors now for a couple lifetimes, lol

Friendly suggestions for modifications/changes based on experience fixing a number of "670" street avengers that are dysfunctional, and/or oil-diluting, plug-fouling, stupid rich (usually needing to be so far into the primary transfer slots and with higher than necessary idle speeds) in general:
    - 0.028" primary idle feed restrictions, for stock/mild application (camshaft), too big... 0.026", better...
    EDIT - re-read original post, air gap intake... ^ probably better left at 0.028"...
    - 0.026" secondary idle feed restrictions, for any application, too small... ~0.030", better... *
    - 0.080" primary idle air bleeds, too big... ~0.070", better...
    - 0.045" secondary idle air bleeds, too big... 0.028", better... *
    - #68 secondary jets for bigger venturi throats than the primaries (that have #66 jets AND 0.046" power valve channel restrictions) are too small... ~#73 secondary jets, better...
    - * always standard fare secondary calibration in the past for with 1-9/16" secondary throttle bores, for a brief and adequately rich secondary transition (since there's no shooter back there), and that allows for trouble free (no flat spots, bog, etc) use of a quicker vacuum secondary spring, like a purple or long yellow... for much better go-baby-go
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 05-28-2019 at 09:03 AM.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Here is how I dealt with stud rockers interfering with valve cover baffles. I have not had any issues with oil blowing past them.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ht=valve+cover

W
    W

As always, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you, it's what you think you know that just ain't so."

I bought some fabricated ones and spent 8 hours with a disc and sand paper glued to a sheet of glass to get smooth enough so they would not leak. Oil poured from them out of the box new. They should be labeled something that almost resembles a valve cover for a 302. I would have thrown them out but did not want to risk wastng more money on more chinesium junk.

Not trying to derail your whole setup but you can buy a tfs topend kit from summit for about the same money that is rock solid.

Not going into the religious war of TFS vs AFR..... the valve guides on the TFS tend to wear out a lot sooner because of the angle they are installed at -- the twisted wedge.

I would run a TFS on an 86 rather than replacing the pistons in a heartbeat. In other applications I'd tend to avoid the twisted wedge if I'm planning to put a lot of miles on the car.

I strongly second that opinion.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

I appreciate the info fellas. I’ve read and read all over the place trying to get what fits for my needs with this car. I seriously considered scrapping my planned paint and body work (~$3000 at a local buddy of mine) to be able to just go lights out with this engine and so everything right from the start. But in the end I’d end up with a car that I couldn’t enjoy anyways due to the dents and burnt up paint. So I made the decision and placed the order at LMR. Also been chatting off and on for a few weeks with their tech Jay who seemed knowledgeable etc. I upgraded the gaskets through out the upgrade to try and stop any possible head, intake, exhaust leaks etc. Using all ARP fasteners etc to keep it all together. Hardened rods etc etc. My plan is in the long run is a possible custom cam if I have enough time and money to really drive the car a lot. The extra $500 or more for it now was simply too much for the budget. I still have to ship the car over to Europe where I currently live AND pay the taxes to get a tag etc. So this project is a huge investment for my family and it’s more about the realization of having my dads old fox here in Denmark in my driveway than making an extra 30 hp. But I want the fox as fresh and ready for cruising as it can be when it arrives. I hope I’ve made the right choices. Lol.

I’ll post up as parts arrive and get installed. I’m sure I’ll run into issues at some point and need your help again. Some things never change. Haha. Have a nice Sunday y’all.
    Joe E.

I really hope your build go well and you get to enjoy your car. I haven't been able to truly enjoy mine for nearly 20 years. We can all argue over our opinions but ultimately it's about you enjoying the car.
    1984.5 G.T.350 had since 16y/o
    95 Cobra, Crystal White

Thanks I hope it all works out as well. My dad is thrilled that I want to get it cleaned up. And my son loves the idea of his own race car. It’ll be fun.

Based upon the list of things you've put together, provided the upgrades go in without a hitch I know you will be VERY happy with your car.

I predict the next things you'll look at is stuff in the traction department. Maybe some 17x10 rear wheels with some 335/35/17 meats...... Oh-- and a sledge hammer. Guaranteed those won't fit without some hammering.

Haha. 335s? That’s one hell of a tire and maybe a tiny bit overkill for a fox won’t you say. I’ll stick to the setup I put together for it over the winter. 18x8.5/9.5 with 245/40/18 and 285/35/18s. If I try to go any faster than what they can handle, then I need a reality check (and I’m sure my wife will be there to bang it into my forehead). Of course everything has to be tried a few times to make sure the quality is there. Lol. With no toddlers in the car.

I really do appreciate the help tho. I’d never have take the chance without FEP.

The parts are shipping out from all over but I’ll try to keep updating here. I’m sure something will pop up that we (my mechanic buddy and myself) can’t figure out.
    Joe E.

Good luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12