Close

Default 1986 Mustang Ford Racing / Hurst Shifter

Hello

I recently installed the ford racing hurst short throw shifter in my T5. It’s very smooth and works fine as far as putting it into gear. I adjusted the stop threads as directed in the 3rd and 4th gear area on the boot rim. No issues going into gear.

when I am in 1,3, Or 5 I noticed that if I push the clutch in the shifter likes to slip into neutral on its own. If the clutch pedal is pushed in just as I hit a bump the shifter pops into neutral. If I’m shifting into 5th on interstate and I take my hand off the knob after shifting and before letting my foot off the clutch pedal it can and will slip into neutral. All these scenarios occur only in 1, 3 or 5 and if the Clutch pedal is pushed in. The shifter does not make its way into neutral when driving normal locked in gear

ideas?

I don't have a Hurst shifter, but I assume it is similar to the SVE unit that I installed. When I first did it and followed the instructions it seemed good, but a simple test drive showed that it would not stay in gear at all without holding it. I simply backed the stops out a bit and all was good.
    1985 GT owned since new

Quote Originally Posted by swearint View Post
    I don't have a Hurst shifter, but I assume it is similar to the SVE unit that I installed. When I first did it and followed the instructions it seemed good, but a simple test drive showed that it would not stay in gear at all without holding it. I simply backed the stops out a bit and all was good.
    I’ll have to try. When I did the stops I put the shifter in 3rd and then pushed it a little more - butted up the stops at that point then backed a 1/4 turn or so. Same for 4th