Close

Default Transmission question1982 4 speed

I have a 1982 capri 5.0 L with the four-speed manual transmission. The car has 79,000 original miles on it.
    Under hard acceleration, I have started to get a noise (loud thumping) right underneath the driver seat. I brought it to a friends Who has a hoist and put it on the lift. I see that the transmission output shaft seal is leaking and that’s what was causing the spot on the floor. I grabbed the driveshaft upfront near the yolk and it has a slight but noticeable amount of play when moved up and down. It does not look like this is coming from the U joint but not positive. Is there a bushing just inside the output shaft seal that wears out or goes bad? If so, what is the difficulty in replacing this or do you have any other ideas what might be going on.
    During normal driving, starting from a stop and cruising down the road, there is no noise noticeable at all. Only when the back tires “accidentally“ start to spin from acceleration.
    Thanks for any help!
    Rick
    '82 Capri RS 5.0 Black - 76,000 miles.

Klotz Synthetic Oil Distributor

Yes there is a bushing in the tailshaft, not far back from the seal. Mine caused a strong vibration when I let off the gas.

How easy of a job is it to replace that bushing? Can I take the seal out and access it?
    Or is there some transmission disassembly required?

Thanks!
    '82 Capri RS 5.0 Black - 76,000 miles.

Klotz Synthetic Oil Distributor

Pull the seal, use a bushing puller. Main thing is expense in the tool. I bought one planning to sell it again after I used it. Decided to keep it

Bushing puller is what you need.