Close

Default Anyone experimented with 1/4 wave resonator J-pipe on their exhaust ?

This topic has probably been covered before. I was just curious if anyone on this forum has tried experimenting with installing some j-pipes on their particular exhaust systems with what actual results ?

Seems like a pretty slick idea if you can get the lengths right and actually fit it under the car.

Nope never tried it and honestly wasn't aware of it until you posted this thread. Interesting, but definitely going to be a tight fit under a Fox Body.

Here is supposedly the formula for determining the correct length for the J pipe. Good Luck!

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...-drone-489463/
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thomas

1985 Mustang GT - Build Thread
    347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

Thanks for the link. I found there is lots of information on the net as well.

I got a bit of an annoying drone around 1800 RPM with my 2.5 tailpipes especially. I changed to some cheap 2.25" tailpipes just to try and this improved the drone a lot . Welding in some high flow cats in my X pipe also quieted it down a bit. Interesting that you can possibly tune your specific combo by adding the J pipes...although it gets a bit messy perhaps underneath. Obviously changing the components in the system will also change the dynamics...maybe for the better or worse etc.

I would like to use my 2.5" tails so I might mess around and see if I can figure out how to add a resonator to the system. Looks like the only place to get it done is to work with the area around the rear diff.