Close

FEP Senior Member

Default steering column swap?

I have a 79 zephyr wagon, needs a new rag joint. It is non cruise, non tilt. I also have a 82 capri body, with tilt and cruise. The capri is too far gone, I am thinking about swapping the steering column. Is it a plug and play bolt in? Or, is the wireing different from tilt and non tilt?

Both should be the splined shaft for the steering wheel. I believe the switches, etc are the same, but I am not an expert on the Zephyr's by any means.

Either way, you can swap all the turn signals, wiper switch, etc. from the 79 to the 82 column if you want/need to.

The switches, etc. should be the same from Tilt to NON Tilt. The steering column trim covers are different and unique between the two, but that's should cover it. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Careful to see if they are in fact the exact same length. I tried a steering column swap over to my sons 80 cobra several years ago from a junkyard 80's model Ford car (sorry can't remember which now) mainly because it had the ignition key in it and his was trashed.

I thought it looked almost exact same but turned out to be shorter and not useable or in your case may be the other way too long etc. It was then I also discovered the difference in the steering wheel mounts as Trey mentioned...so I must've had an 83 model.