Close

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Default Ignition Tumbler

Has anybody replaced the ignition tumbler in their Four Eye? The tumbler works on mine, however the pot metal (outer) snapped off, and doesn't look very good. I know on the early cars, a paperclip is used, and its quite easy.

Second (this is another car), why would the ignition keys stop working? I have two sets of keys, and neither works right now (they worked last month). Is there something wrong with the column?? What can be done to remedy this? Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Bryan Knebworth; 05-22-2019 at 08:36 PM. Reason: added text

Have done the ignition lock assy. Easy.
    Steering wheel stays on if tilt or non-tilt.
    My manual trans, non-tilt 79 Mustang and 93 Ranger were the same procedure.

If key can be rotated: Disconnect battery, remove column trim shrouds.
    Key needs to be inserted, turned to run, then push pin with 1/8" dia wire or punch.
    Depress pin and pull out lock cyl. Reverse to install. Align and seat cyl tab into ignition switch gear slot.
    Turning key back to off permits cyl retaining pin to pop back into position.
    I think there was a wire for the key buzzer that slides off.
    Dealer can rekey lock code if desired.

If key wont turn, make sure the column lock is allowing wheel to move a little and not binding the wheel.
    If wheel is tight, key will not turn until wheel is rocked a bit to free it up from column lock pawl pushing on it.
    Last edited by gr79; 05-23-2019 at 01:44 PM.

ok, that sounds good gr79. Thanks
    Today, I removed the steering wheel to my T-top notch. I want to bring it to an upholsterer and have the leather wrap done. I might even bring my GT wheel to show specifically how I want it to look. Going back to the ignition lock assembly. I heard Ford still offers them @ something like 45 bucks, does that sound right? If not, I know they are available thru LMR. Looking forward to sorting that out, at last!

Paid 25.00 in 2001 at Pep Boys for the Mustang one. Works fine. Rather had Motorcraft but was in a hurry.
    Paid 56.00 in 2008 at local Ford dealer for the Ranger one, price inc. ign key code reset for one key- door and ign.
    They match the new cyl to old better than chain products and have code books, good machines, etc.
    79 Mustang has a different tumbler coding and procedure. Have not rekeyed that for one key.
    Dealer keys are the best. Official logo and proper metal, not aluminum that can twist or even snap in a frozen lock.
    House, padlock, mailbox, etc. keys included.
    I suppose a good locksmith can do same, but dealer is one stop shopping. Rather pay a little more and get the best.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ocked-ignition

Be sure its not the door chime/ignition interlock brass contact in the base of the ignition.

It really got me, it got me soo much I didnt know what I was doing...

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ocked-ignition

Be sure its not the door chime/ignition interlock brass contact in the base of the ignition.

It really got me, it got me soo much I didnt know what I was doing...
    Nice Kinks/VH reference!

It was a fitting tribute to just one of the most frustrating times Ive had in a driveway.

How that kink could end up in the base of the ignition only Henry Ford and HFII could possibly know....

At least you guys helped me out...

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    It was a fitting tribute to just one of the most frustrating times Ive had in a driveway.

How that kink could end up in the base of the ignition only Henry Ford and HFII could possibly know....

At least you guys helped me out...
    Miraculously I found a THIRD set of keys the other night, which worked like new! I think I even left the keys in the 'ON' position, just in case! (Don't worry the battery is disconnected).

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Knebworth View Post
    Miraculously I found a THIRD set of keys the other night, which worked like new! I think I even left the keys in the 'ON' position, just in case! (Don't worry the battery is disconnected).
    All lock cylinders only use one side of the key,. They are cut on two sides for convince. Sometimes keys can be cut uneven, just try flipping the key over it it does not work.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Interesting. Well, I was on ebay earlier. I found one item--Ignition Lock listed several different times. The price was all over the place!! So strange. The price ranged from $28.87 to $51.63! That's over a twenty dollar swing. I wasn't expecting that. I might call tomorrow, and see how much they are through Ford. Evidently, the front grille emblem is still available(E2GZ8A223-B).
    Seems too good to be true
    Last edited by Bryan Knebworth; 05-30-2019 at 06:00 PM. Reason: added text

Here are 3 keys. All from my 1978 Zephyr. The first one got to this point before it quit working. The second, not as bad. The third, I had to replaced the tumbler as it was working hit and miss. But by then the original tumbler was over 25 years old. And the car had over 300,000 miles on it.
    Lots of FREE F/Z info on my site.
    http://myzephyrs.com

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RED 78' View Post
    Here are 3 keys. All from my 1978 Zephyr. The first one got to this point before it quit working. The second, not as bad. The third, I had to replaced the tumbler as it was working hit and miss. But by then the original tumbler was over 25 years old. And the car had over 300,000 miles on it.
    That is cool! Thanks
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

Update on the ign. tumbler; Ford part, NIB, $38 bucks shipped. Took what seemed like three seconds to install, but really less than 20 minutes--easy street! Even had the wire for the seatbelt buzzer. Safety first!

FEP Power Member

There are 2 versions, black and chrome.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    There are 2 versions, black and chrome.
    That's right, went with the stock Black for the GT

FEP Supporter

Can these ignition tumblers be rekeyed? I have to replace a door lock on our 79 and got a used replacement set (two doors and ignition) from another 79. 1979 had the door and ignition key the same. I want to use the replacement door locks but use the current ignition tumbler due to much less use over it's life. The hope was to rekey it to match the replacement door locks.

Can this be done?

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    Can these ignition tumblers be rekeyed? I have to replace a door lock on our 79 and got a used replacement set (two doors and ignition) from another 79. 1979 had the door and ignition key the same. I want to use the replacement door locks but use the current ignition tumbler due to much less use over it's life. The hope was to rekey it to match the replacement door locks.

Can this be done?
    Good question. I bet a Locksmith would be able to hook-you-up, maybe fifty bucks or so, but worth it
    Last edited by Bryan Knebworth; 03-27-2020 at 10:47 AM. Reason: syntax

Smile

Last time i checked, a local Ford dealer parts counter still had the 79 code books to set tumbler to match door key.
    Said 79 keys like ours had a different rekey procedure than say a 90's key. Tumbler count?
    I guess if not replacing or no codes, the cyl (door? ign?) has to come out for rekey.

My notes say the 93 only needed a door cut added to the ign key. Been awhile. Maybe that was the diff.

Had my 93 Ranger done at the parts counter before i installed the new ign tumbler.
    New Motorcraft ign cyl assy was 56.00.
    They matched a code from the old ign cyl to a new one. A, B, C, D etc coded locksets used at factory.
    Adding the door cut to the new ignition key was 8.00 including a spare oe quality key in 2009.
    New ign cyl, one key for ign and door. Plus a spare.

The 79 was more involved he said. Not a rookie, but had not done that version in a while.
    Something about 79 had one less tumbler and could not simply add the door key cut.
    Or i needed the oem door key code metal tag and rekey the ign tumbler to that.
    Dunno if the door key itself could be used to rekey due to wear.

Was trying to call the dealer right now to follow up but are closed.