Close

Default Two fox body Mustangs...one big dilemma.

I have a dilemma, I wanted some real input from you guys on what path to take with these projects. I purchased a 1986 GT T top hatchback from a guy about 4 months ago. I thought the car was nice, it runs great. It has low miles one owner, came with a box of receipts and even a car fax. It has nice paint, no bad lines and the interior is good everything works well. I was aware of the bottom of both doors being rusted and I was okay with that because of the price. I drove the car all over and I did notice the the T tops were not sealing against the glass so I got new seals. In the process of replacing the T top seals and the faded cowl panel plastic I started to notice more rust. I look even deeper and found rust holes on the A pillar where the passenger door attaches, both passenger and drivers floor pans are shot and inside the cowl panel there is rust but it hasn't made holes yet. I have not pulled the passenger fender to see just how bad the rest is but I am sure its bad too. The outside of the car is beautiful, all the suspension is tight it drives straight and I always get compliments whenever I take it anywhere. I have since purchased a very nice 93 GT roller that is all there except the engine and transmission all the interior is factory light Grey leather and beautiful. The body is straight the car is not chopped up the wiring harnesses are all there ect. My question is do you guys think the 86 gt is worth throwing money at to try and save it? Or should I just say to hell with it and rob the low mileage engine and transmission and part it out. I am having a hard time trying to figure out what to do because I love the 4 eyed cars, especially love the T tops and the car is just so pretty. I do not know body work at all nor do I know anyone in the state of Texas. I only moved here a few months ago from across the country. I am a welder by trade so that isn't the issue. I am sure I can replace the floors but I am afraid of the A pillar and for sure the bottom of the cowl panel. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially from paint and body guys. Anyone in the Central Texas area with resources too.

FEP Power Member

Cut your losses on the rusty one. You will get the most for it running and complete. Find. Cheap parts car to fix the other one or just replace the missing stuff. You will Never be happy with the rusty one.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

I hate rust! I think it would cost a fortune to fix all the rust on the 86. I agree with above, sell the 86 whole and buy an engine and tranny for the 93. Just my .02
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Depends on how much you like the car. Floor pans are not that bad to do. And any ttop car typically will get a leak and kill the pans. My 86 rs capri had both pans gone and pillers and cowl. But some sheet metal and a welder made it like new. And I got new floor pans for it. If you like it and dont ever plan to sell it just fix it. In mean time you can throw a motor and trans in other one and drive it while your fixing the four eyed

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

If the '86 still has the original engine and the original pistons and heads, it is pretty much the least desirable roller motor that was ever made. I would sell the '86 since it looks so nice. (Remember....YOU bought it so someone else will too) and cut your losses. Take that money and get a drive train for the '93. OR, if you just don't feel right about passing it along to another owner, Cut the roof off of it and put it on the '93 and have a T Top '93 since you love the T Tops. You will have to rob the glass and a LOT of parts from the '86 to do this so it will 100% be a part out at that point. Do what you think is best. I understand this website is here to ensure the preservation of the 4 eyed cars but if this one is too far gone to make good sense financially then you shouldn't kick yourself over it.
    As a side note, if you do decide to go that route, the roof trim on the T Tops does not match the aero cars roof trim. It FITS perfect and it WORKS perfect but the trim is not the same. They did sell T Top aero cars and they are not as rare as everyone thinks they are so you could source them. In fact, I have a set of aero Tops that I may consider selling if you really need them. Good luck no matter what you do!

FEP Senior Member

I'd sell them both and buy a complete rust free running and driving car.