Close

Thread: 86 GT Seats?

Default 86 GT Seats?

I need some help, after a false start with a set of 07 seats I found a set of buckets locally which look to be “stock” for my 86 GT. Is that an accurate statement?

They are pretty dirty, any tips on cleaning them up? Should I remove the covers and wash them? They are in good shape but have seen better days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by michaelg10; 06-08-2019 at 01:10 PM.

Look like a set of Mustang/Capri Sport seats to me. Nice Buy!

Removing the covers is an option, but often the light grey fabric is very thin and can tear easily when trying to remove and or stretch to install. Check the material out before considering that option IMHO.

I have had very good luck with multiple upholstery cleaners over the years. The seats might not be perfect when done, but will be much better. Blue Magic Carpet Stain and Spot Lifter works very well for not only carpet but seats too. I buy mine at Walmart generally. I also recommend using tools like Bissel carpet cleaner with the hand tool for seats. Hot water alone helps to remove a lot of dirt and stains. We have one of the pet stain models that I steal from the house when the wife is not looking! Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Great deal! I've seen people charge a mint for those halo seats (even though later seats are easily converted). And it's awesome they're not ripped at all! I'll bet if you clean those up and throw some new foam in there, they'll look perfect!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Thanks guys, I suspected the fabric would rip if removed as its pretty thin.

I think I will give the blue carpet cleaner a try, I just don’t want to use anything too harsh which could discolor it any further. I have a steam cleaner here which should work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Spot Shot" from Walmart works pretty well too. I sprayed it on some really bad coffee stains in the carpet of an old Dodge Dakota a few years ago. I was standing by with a clean rag to start scrubbing on it. By the time the foam disappeared, I couldn't see anything that needed scrubbed because the stains had disappeared.

The seats in my 88 (grey gt "twead" seats), I cleaned them up in the summertime. I scrubbed them down with laundry detergent and hosed them off. Took a shop vac to them to get most of the water and then let them dry in the sun over the weekend. It was pretty hot out and they dried quickly. Look like brand new when I was finished. You could see the filth running out when I sprayed them down.
    Last edited by Broncojunkie; 05-19-2019 at 11:08 AM.

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Look like a set of Mustang/Capri Sport seats to me. Nice Buy!

Removing the covers is an option, but often the light grey fabric is very thin and can tear easily when trying to remove and or stretch to install. Check the material out before considering that option IMHO.

I have had very good luck with multiple upholstery cleaners over the years. The seats might not be perfect when done, but will be much better. Blue Magic Carpet Stain and Spot Lifter works very well for not only carpet but seats too. I buy mine at Walmart generally. I also recommend using tools like Bissel carpet cleaner with the hand tool for seats. Hot water alone helps to remove a lot of dirt and stains. We have one of the pet stain models that I steal from the house when the wife is not looking! Good Luck!
    Be careful, Trey. If your wife finds out that you're competent with the pet stain cleaner, she'll put you to work inside the house, instead of the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by darkd0r View Post
    Be careful, Trey. If your wife finds out that you're competent with the pet stain cleaner, she'll put you to work inside the house, instead of the garage.
    First she would have to let me live in the house and not always banish me to the garage! All I need is better Wifi and a refrigerator in the garage and I have no need to go anywhere else!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

After cleaning, you might try this: https://www.duplicolor.com/product/v...abric-coating/

I had fairly good results using the burgundy on my canyon red seats. Not a perfect match, but better than nothing at all.
    1985 GT owned since new

Interesting, thanks for sharing. I might make more of a mess trying to paint the piping red...

I actually masked off the piping as it was in decent condition, it was the field that was noticeably faded in areas. So it is possible, but tedious. Doubly so for you to dye both.
    1985 GT owned since new

One of the members here on FEP used a Red Sharpie pen to touch up the piping on the seats. Looked pretty good from what I recall.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller