Close

FEP Member

Default Touching up thin paint

Hey guys,

I've had my '85 GT since 2001, and in that time there have been a few years recently when it needed to live outdoors and the factory Oxford White paint has really thinned out in some areas. I'm not interested in doing a full repaint at this point, and it's garaged and will be for the future, and I am looking for input on the best ways to touch up the old factory paint to make it look more presentable from 5-10 feet away. The areas that need touch up are a bit bigger than could be handled by a touch up paint pen. If I could get a very close match in a rattle can I'd be ok doing some sanding and primer/spray touch up in a few areas but I'm really hesitant to do that if it will be obvious I went that route.

Just interested in options to make things look a bit better. It's not driven in rain or bad weather and is garaged.

You can use the Duplicolor cans, you just need to sand/blend with fine grit and then buff/polish it out. I have done this to good results with Oxford White. I'm not sure how other colors would behave.
    1985 GT owned since new

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by swearint View Post
    You can use the Duplicolor cans, you just need to sand/blend with fine grit and then buff/polish it out. I have done this to good results with Oxford White. I'm not sure how other colors would behave.
    Perfect, thanks swearint. This is exactly what I was thinking of doing, and I even have the Oxford White Duplicolor. I'm just a bit nervous to actually take a shot at it because I'm afraid the paint color won't match the old original paint. I'm going to give it a shot on a less visible spot (under the hatch) first.

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by 85gt View Post
    Perfect, thanks swearint. This is exactly what I was thinking of doing, and I even have the Oxford White Duplicolor. I'm just a bit nervous to actually take a shot at it because I'm afraid the paint color won't match the old original paint. I'm going to give it a shot on a less visible spot (under the hatch) first.

Thanks!!
    The odds are the paint color will not be a perfect match. That is due to age, wear, tear, sunlight, etc. That is the reason you have to blend the paint into the old color. That helps to fool the eye so you can't tell where the "touch up" is. Blending is not one of my strong points I will admit since I don't do it very often. I have gotten better over the years, but generally I will just repaint everything. Then again NONE of my cars are nice enough to start with that I can leave the original paint alone.

If you don't have any experience blending paint, you might try practicing on an old fender, door, etc. if you have one. I am sure there are some YouTube videos that show the process. Nothing super complicated, but it does take some skill and attention to detail. Luckily white is more forgiving then other colors so that can help. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

If the paint isn't worn through to the primer you might try a claybar polish. I was concerned about my paint a couple of years ago from using cleaning waxes. I got a Mother's claybar kit and was shocked at how well it turned out. It's more like a 10,000 grit polish. Removes the oxides and leaves a near glass like shine. Pure wax finish after that and ready for show. It's worth a try before getting into trouble with paint.
    W

As always, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you, it's what you think you know that just ain't so."

FEP Member

Thanks guys.

WilliamCapri, I have a number of spots where the paint has been worn through to the original primer, unfortunately. This car has been in Northern California and then Salt Lake City sun for pretty much its entire life, so there's no real rust but the paint is pretty thin.

Wraithracing, I removed the plastic cowl cover and I'm testing the Duplicolor underneath it so I can get a direct comparison between under the cowl and the factory paint right next to it. After I'm done I'll give that whole area under the cowl a new coat of close to factory gray paint as it could use it anyway. I'll have to post some results comparing the old and new paint right next to each other.