Close

Default 86 full exhaust question(s)

I have an 86 (5.0) Capri, that is fully stock at the moment. I want to change exhaust this summer and am trying to plan out my build so I can start gathering parts. Here are my questions:

* Headers: short of full? Last time I had full length headers on my old 88 I would scrape them going up and down driveways and such, I would like to avoid that unless something has changed.
    * Headers: recommended brands? I've been reading good things about BBK, I have no preference though
    * Headers: wrap or ceramic coat? Ceramic is new to me, I've wrapped headers in the past but am intrigued with this ceramic coating stuff
    * Headers: bolt locks? Last time I had headers on a car I would be tightening header bolts every once in a while, would prefer a good locking bolt. I've read good things about stage 8

Stock heads are currently on the car, I need a header that will work with them AND the twisted wedge head I will get when budget allows. Ie, I need them to be future proof.

I plan to run an H pipe over X. I plan to go no cats.

* Header back: Is there a benefit to having an exhaust shop MAKE me an exhaust vs buying the pieces? If pieces, brands or recommendations?
    * Mufflers: I read that old flowmaster 40's will give the typical mustang sound I grew up with, is this true? any other recommendations?
    * Chrome/stainless tips: will be LX style straight tips needed, any recommendations?

Thanks guys! I appreciate any input so I can start gathering parts

I prefer the lx straight tips, I think I've seen them in 3 inch if that pleases you. Not a fan of the super loud muflers( dynomax pleases me). When I have wrapped headers it really shortens the life span. They get brittle and crack/break. I have a set of bbk shorties on the shelf for mine. There that gets the ball rolling

I am running ceramic coated shorty headers with a off road h-pipe and flowmaster 2.5" exhaust on mine with the 2 chamber mufflers.the 1 chambers were to loud inside car and the 3 chambers to quiet for my taste. I have had the ceramic headers now for 10 years and they still look great. I think the H-pipe is a pacesetter 1 piece.
    Bob
    1967 mustang coupe -sold
    1967 cougar GT - sold
    1984 Mustang L 5.0L - Totaled
    1984 Mustang GT 5.0L
    2007 Mustang GT convertible ( wifes car)
    1997 F-350 powerstroke
    USMC Retired 1981-2001

Yeah, I think I am leaning towards shorties so far also.

Bob,
    What kind of header are you using and did you buy it already coated or did you get the ceramic done?
    Last edited by 7ftbill; 05-14-2019 at 08:02 PM.

FEP Senior Member

The best sounding old school "Flowmaster" sound I have ever heard of late are the Jones brand mufflers. I believe they are a knock-off of the original 40 series muffler. The muffler Flowmaster makes now called the original 40 is not the same as the original, despite the name. I have been told this by Flowmaster themselves. The Jones brand is also very cheap..I hope they are made in America.

Quote Originally Posted by noac View Post
    The best sounding old school "Flowmaster" sound I have ever heard of late are the Jones brand mufflers. I believe they are a knock-off of the original 40 series muffler. The muffler Flowmaster makes now called the original 40 is not the same as the original, despite the name. I have been told this by Flowmaster themselves. The Jones brand is also very cheap..I hope they are made in America.
    Maybe I will go with Dynomax like 2nd choice recommended, I had those on a mustang and they sounded pretty good, if they are the same style

I’m going to run spintech mufflers on mine (currently waiting on the trans and motor to go back in before I get to it). A little different and good sound from everything I’ve heard about them. Oh running shorties and an h.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1984 LTD LX, 160k mile Explorer 5.0, Comp XE264HR-14 cam, Alex’s Parts springs on stock GT40 3 bar heads, Unported Explorer intake, 1 5/8 shorty headers, off-road H-Pipe, Spintech 9000 mufflers, Holley Terminator X Max, J-Mod 4R70W, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Tubular front and rear control arms, front coilovers, Turbocoupe rear coil springs

if you're doing this for power gains, the original 2.5 dual exhaust flows plenty for that motor..imo just change out the mufflers.

however, the american thunder exhaust by flowmaster will get you that sound that every other mustang has. Couple that with long tubes and an offroad pipe and you're set. No reason to go custom, everything is catalog order and bolt on.
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

I didn't think about this, with a convertible I think the old flowmaster sound I was looking for will be too loud. I might have to look for something quieter but still have a throaty sound =/

FEP Member

You might look into the Walker SoundFX series. The comments on Summit's site suggest quieter. I just replaced a rusted-out generic turbo 19 in. with a 26 in. on one side of my pickup, and it's quieter than the other old one, but that may be because it's longer (and newer). Lengths I listed are overall, not body length.