Close

Default Convertible water leaks through side view mirror handles

This has been bugging me for a while now. I had a local interior shop A&B Interiors in Baldwin NY look into this and they couldn't resolve it.

Look at these pics. Its been raining non stop here in NY for those that are on Long Island already know. Times like this I get these drip tracks along the doors just below the side view mirror handles. Yesterday I pulled both the side view mirror handles off to try to see how water gets behind them. I cant tell. The front windows are snug into the rubber weather stripping all around. and the weather stripping on the car is all new (or newish). This happens when the car sits in the rain not being driven. Anybody seen this before? Got suggestions?

The Third pic of the passenger side show the drip starts above the side view handle and works its way down.

Name:  driver side.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  21.7 KB

Name:  driver through side view handle.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  20.6 KB

Name:  Pass behind side view handle.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  17.3 KB

Name:  passenger side.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  19.3 KB

Name:  Resized_20190513_081745_7855.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  15.2 KB

FEP Power Member

That’s pretty typical. I think you will find the leak up higher and running down. I’ll take a look later today. I’m pretty sure my 89 does it.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Heres a vid I took last year. it runs down the inside of the weather stripping into the car. I found its pooling in the center of the passenger side front seat. my seat is out and I just sat theres to try to get a better look and the carpet is wet and now is my but.

I just took this one few minutes ago. the drip actually starts on the corner of the convertible top then drips down the run channel and ends right where the door weather strip should mush together with the rubber seal behind the side view mirror handle.

The only seal I have not replaced is whats behind the side view mirror handles. I have a sinking feeling nobody makes a repro for that

Sorry about the sideways video. Youtube seems to have removed the flip options.

Based on this blown up window diagram the part number for the Mirror filler weatherstrip. 214A62. But its an incomplete part number and Googling it brings up the same part for late model Mustangs 2005-09.

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-214A62/Must...strip-RH-05-09

Does anyone know the exact part number for an 84 convertibles side view mirror filler weatherstrip? Last year was just the passenger side but now I'm leaking same spot on both sides so I think this worn seal has to be it.

Name:  1980MustangWindowparts.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  51.4 KB

FEP Power Member

You might want to check the top latch guide/bushings. They cause the top to be loose as the latch hooks into them.

I don't think it is the mirror seal that is the issue. It looks to me from the older video that the door is not closing tight enough. Have you tried adjusting the striker post to get a firmer door seal compression?

As far a replacing the mirror seal, I used some thin craft foam I found at a hobby shop. I don't know yet if it works though as I am still working on the car.
    1985 GT owned since new

It's definitely leaking right between the pillar seal and the side view mirror handle. They are supposed to mush together and that's the spot where water is intruding and dripping down the door, into the carpet and leaving a wet spot every time it rains hard. I'm gonna try building it up with black RTV but it would also be nice to find out the actual part number for the side view mirror filler for our Foxbody convertibles so I can start searching for NOS.

If anybody can locate the actual part number that coincide with the 214A62 shown in the Ford illustration that'd be great.

FEP Power Member

The repro a pillar seals are pretty weak compared to the Ford product. I would suggest adding RTV where the a pillar meets the existing windshield frame seal. There is also a clip hidden inside the a pillar seal.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    The repro a pillar seals are pretty weak compared to the Ford product. I would suggest adding RTV where the a pillar meets the existing windshield frame seal. There is also a clip hidden inside the a pillar seal.
    typical with all Daniel Carpenter rubber and plastic parts. Maybe I should look for NOS Motorcraft?

I also noticed that when it rains heavy I have a wet spot in the middle of the front passenger side carpet. I don't think that's related to the slow drip along the door panels. When I google it I only find articles on drainage slots on 2005-2014 Mustangs in the vent below the windshield that clog up and cause water to route to the driver side floor pan. No articles on this issue with Foxbody's.

Anybody have suggestions for a remedy? I'll end up with rusted floor pans if I dont solve this soon.

I assume that you don't have covered parking, so would a good quality car cover be an option? Obviously, that would not help while driving, but would limit the accumulation while parked.
    1985 GT owned since new

Black butyl rubber sealant tape can work to stop drips.
    No wait to dry like RTV, removeable, molds like putty, sticky, durable.
    Not expensive.
    Good to have on hand for other tasks.

Look at these two pics and see the difference between the LMR car used in the video and mine.

The LMR car has A pillar stripping that runs the full length of the A pillar mine is short about 5 inches.

Name:  LMR weatherstrip video.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  101.6 KB

Name:  My car A pilar weather stripping close up.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  20.4 KB

Daniel carpenters crapper repro work strikes again. I submitted a ticket to LMR to complain about this but since I bought the convertible weather stripping kit in 2015 I dont expect they will be too helpful. Now I have to search for NOS to try to correct this.

This closeup on the corner is where water is intruding.

Name:  My Car water intrusion point.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  18.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    I ordered the passenger side NOS motorcraft from an ebay seller but they dont have the other side. I'm gonna have to keep looking for now. I see the car in the LMR vid isn't a 4 eye so the A pillar strips and different. But even for an 83-87 they should be longer that whats on my car right now. I hope the NOS part seats better and makes conttact with the door behind the side view mirror handles. This leak is all I have to deal with on my car's interior. After that I can say it's done. A new seal for behind the side view handles would be helpful too. Still looking for full part number for that if anyone know please share.

LMR offered me a 15% discount if I re-purchase but I'm not gonna use Daniel carpenter's again.

Heres another epic fail by Daniel Carpenter. I put this pair of door run channel seals in at the same time I did my weather seal kit for the entire convertible. These things never fit right and I had to slice them open with a razor knife to allow the front window to pass through it. It literally kept the window from coming up. Also notice the horrible gap between the run channel seal and the outer dew wipe. It looks like crap.

There's no adjustment for this part. it drops right into a squared slot in the door till it bottoms out. All the pop rivet holes lined up right but the overall effect was a huge disappointment. I actually have another set new in the package I was gonna use but if I get the same imperfections why bother right?

Name:  Resized_20190516_111343_3248.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  33.5 KB

Name:  Resized_20190516_111348_4159.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  30.0 KB