Close

Default New here, 1984 Thunderbird clean slate

Hey everyone,

I have been lurking here for some time. I own a 1984 T-bird Turbocoupe that currently has no motor or trans. I am toying with ideas of where I want to go with the car. The body and interior are really solid but it could use paint, I will probably prep and have someone else spray it when that time comes.

I am really toying with the idea of putting a newer 2.3 EB under the hood (former EB mustang owner).

What would you guys do? Do a SBF with a carb? H.O 5.0 w/ FI?

I am mechanically inclined, I can get the motor and trans in there and plumbed but I am a little intimidated by wiring.

I have a lot to think about, just wanted to pop in and say hi!

Dan

Welcome.

If the wiring is still good in the car, I would consider putting it back to 2.3T/5spd. Second choice for easier wiring would be a carbd 5.0. Either would be a good car. Good luck.

Another site I am on, with good Bird info and help.

https://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/index.php
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Hey Mike,

I do have an engine from an 86' TC along with an assortment of parts/ecu/wiring. The 80's mess of wiring and vacuum lines is a bit intimidating plus as I understand the older 2.3T's can be rather finicky. By the time I spend the money to go through the 2.3T I have and get it running I think I could go another route and have something more reliable. As far as getting the motor and trans in the car it would certainly be the easiest route. I'm going to be digging the car out of the garage in the next few weeks here and see where I am at. Appreciate the link too, have poked around over there in the past.

You're most welcome. Good luck with the build, however you do it.

The couple 2.3's ive had, were all dead reliable when l left them stock. My 5.0's have been reliable as well.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0