Close

Thread: Engine advice

Default Engine advice

I have a 91crown vic motor that is super low miles. I'm going to put it my 85gt. From what I understand the crown vic motors were basically the same as 86 H.0 with a smaller cam? The pistons are flat tops no reliefs and the heads are e6's. Without changing the pistons my head and cam choices are very limited due to ptv interference. I'm planning on swapping in a stock 86 H.O cam to keep the car from being a complete dog and eventually rebuild the original motor . Is this a good idea or is there a better cam out there for this application?

I thought the 91 crown vic motors had e7's and large valve reliefs. I just gave one (not exactly sure on the year) to my buddy and that was the setup. I also thought only the 86 mustang had no valve reliefs... which would also explain the e6 heads.

I might be mistaken on the year. It has the e7te roller block and the e6 heads and flat top pistons. Motor is really nice for what it is. I also thought possibly using the explorer cam as well.

After reading and researching all day I think I'm going to order a set of forged pistons and be done with it. I think I still might run the same heads for awhile or snag some Junkyard e7s or gt40ps. Its a budget build but if I'm going to ever add any serious mods a fresh forged bottom end will be nice to have.

Fast forward a week....... I bought a tfs stage 1 cam for my stroker build and the guy gave me a 93 cobra cam so the the crown vic motor is getting a little love ,cobra cam and new valve springs. I'm not sure how long its going to have this motor in it but l'm guessing at least a year or more depending on how long its going to do paint and body.