Close

Default New drums and shoes too tight

I bought brand new drums from RockAuto. Same brand late model restoration sales. Also bought brand new Motorcraft shoes. I have tried to figure out why my drones fit so tight I even modified myself adjuster to go in smaller. I have no idea why it's so tight. Old drums we're trashed with marks on inside from rivets on old shoes. I even tried to put those on and they are too tight also. You can get the drums on butt they are too tight to turn Wheels by hand. Open to suggestions
    I would rather be juged by 12 than carried by 6

I just wanted to chime in and say "hi" from Barboursville.

Any chance you got shoes for a later model with bigger drums? Weren't there 2 different sizes?

FEP Member

I've seen where the shoes were a bigger diameter, assuming that you would get the drums turned. I had to have the drums turned to get mine fitting right.

I think it might be the emergency brake cable. It looks like if it would let back out about a quarter inch the crossbar would loosen up and let the drum go on easily.
    Hey broncojunkie what kind of 4 eye do you have? I don't know how many members are on here from this area I think you're the first I've talked to LOL. The drums I bought new are the same from late model restoration and the shoes I just double-checked for Motorcraft are 9 in shoes

Did you turn the adjuster back in on the bottom of the shoe assembly?

That needs to be adjusted from the access port after drum installation. Auto adjusters take care if it once it’s close but you need to back up swiftly then slam on the brakes

I have a 79 pace car, 79 cobra, two 86 coupes and an 88gt. And yes, you're the only other member I've seen from our area. PM me when you get time and I'll give you my contact info and some info on a local car club, if you're interested. We need more fox guys lol

Even though I tried every other way to find another reason and end up being the emergency brake cables are seized up. Any of you guys ever change these? I'm going to look and see if I can find new ones not even sure what they cost the right at the moment. But on a 5-speed they're kind of a handy tool

Man I miss the days when they would turn the drums and then measure them. Then they would arc the shoes to match.. Anyone remember that?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

Man I miss the days when they would turn the drums and then measure them. Then they would arc the shoes to match.. Anyone remember that?
    I worked for a brake parts manufacturer 20 years ago and we would do this on all our test cars. We even set the clearance between the shoes and drums with a big micrometer.
    Mike
    85 GT - owned since 87