Close

Default Use or not use these headers.

I got a set of unused headers.
    Probably they're the cheap Summit black painted headers.
    My doubt is caused by the flanges, see the pictures please. The tubes protrude so the flanges have a small edge to seal against the heads.
    What is your verdict: use it or lose it

Do you have any ideas about the fitment of these headers on a stock 1979 5.0 with C4 transmission?
    Thanks,
    Hans.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ALE-L21 met Tapatalk

I think those port area protrusions are to squish the gasket real good and seal well to the cylinder heads. Can't hurt to try them...
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Those look like some old school Hedman headers. Take a straight edge ruler and lay it again the ports just to make sure they are still flat. Even if they are new that doesn’t mean they were stored correctly. I learned that the hard way one time when buying a “new never used” set of headers. Never could get them to seal correctly.

No real way to guarantee fitment without a part number to check. If you have them and the time, then why not give them a try.

The one big change I would make is dump the collector flanges and install a pair of V band clamps in place of the leak prone flanges. Just my .02 for what its worth.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-X-Univers...MAAOSw1h5XP9r0
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

The protrusions work well for Hooker Headers, but these look like Headman / Blackjack. The biggest issue is not to over-tighten the flange to where it bends and you start to warp the sealing surface. The cheaper headers had a fairly thin flange (1/4 inch ish) where Hookers usually had 3/8+ thick flanges.

I would give them a try.

Kenny

Thank you all for the feedback.
    I"ll give them a try. Good tip about the V clamps. At work we switch to solely v-band clamps also for leakage and ease of assembly reason. Will weld in O2 sensor bungs too.
    Am concerned about the flanges bending and leakage there. But we'll see.
    I could place washers between the heads and flanges to prevent deformation?!

Look like hooker longtubes 169 dollar special. Good enough. May need to clearance for steering shaft. Use the actual header gaskets and bolts the 3/8" wrench heads are the best for more room and retorque often. Mine never leaked or came loose which is strange amd rare unless you run special header lock nuts which is not needed. I usually have my hood up before and after every drive. But it is a weekend car so..

Thanks, yes it does look like the Hooker headers.
    Hans.

Don't use crap paper gaskets. Use graphite gaskets and the header bolts will never come loose.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support