Close

Default Can I swap a 1988 hatch onto my 1980 cobra without too much trouble ?

This topic has probably been covered before. The hatch on my sons 80 cobra is really rusty and I was thinking it might be more feasible to find a hatch in better condition. It would also be really nice to be able to prep that piece separately as we plan on painting his car sometime in the future.

Anyone done this specific swap before and what difficulties did they run into ?

I find that even though the foxbodies are supposed to be the same for those years that sometimes there are slight differences to be aware of etc.

Thanks in advance !!

The Fox hatch is interchangeable from 79-93. This even includes the 79-82 Capri and even the 83-86 Bubble hatch.

The issue that you will have will be in regards to the latch and striker. The 79/80 use a different setup than the 81-86, 87-91, and 91-93. Those are the year model break downs on the different latche/striker combos.

The 81-93 generally are easy in that as long as you match your latch to your striker you should be fine. The 79/80 models use the bent wire setup like the coupes and verts do in the trunk, so swapping to a striker setup is a bit more difficult, but again still can be done.

I believe there are some slight differences in the latch area of the early hatches compared to the later model versions. I don't have a 79/80 to compare to a later model right now, but you should be able to verify it rather quickly yourself. That will be the area you need to concern yourself with in order for the swap to be a "bolt" on. If you can swap your 79/80 latch into the 88 hatch you are golden and shouldn't have any issues. I personally have considered swapping the OEM hatch off my 79 PC for a 91-93 hatch I have that uses the last version of the latch/striker combo that seem to be the best version out there in regards to less hatch rattling, etc. Essentially to do that, I will have to swap in the structural mount for the striker from a 91-93 and replace the structural mount in the 79 on the body.

Hope that helps, I am sure I forgot something in my stream of unconscious ramblings. God Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Perfect I will check out the latches closely and see. Thinking I can modify it worst case. From your info it sounds better to try and retain the newer latch arrangement. Good used parts are more plentiful for the 87-93 cars around here but even them are getting scarce.

Be sure to grab the wiring harness from the cargo area of the donor car. I have found that some of 87-93 defrost wiring has different connections in body of the four eyed cars, but other times they are the same connections.

Also, the 87-93 LX or GT hatch will be wired for a third brake light. If you plan on changing over the 1980 Cobra rear spoiler, then you will have to remove some wiring in the hatch and fill a few holes left by the aero spoiler. If you keep the newer spoiler with the third brake light, then you will need the harness that ties into the brake lights as well. Another option is to find a rear spoiler from an 84-85 Mustang. They use the same spoiler as the 87-93 LX, minus the third brake light, so you won’t have to fill any holes or do much wiring. If your donor hatch is from a GT, you can use a LX spoiler, but you will have to add some holes. If you keep the GT spoiler, you will have to add the harness to your car for the third brake light to be functional.

Hope this helps!

Yep thanks for the input. I would definitely be using the original cobra spoilers so I think I am good as far as any wiring mods although good point on the defrost connections.

I had a good look at my 80 and also found an aero car at the junkyard and the latches are very different indeed.

The 80 latch uses kind of a 2 bar system mounted on the rear structure with one grabbing the latch and the other one guiding it straight. The aero latch uses a door striker pin type (like the regular door) mounted on an angle on the rear structure as mentioned. He knows his stuff !!

Looking at it I think my best bet if I was to proceed would be to try and swap the hatch door latch assemblies from my 80 and remount/modify it to the good hatch etc.

Also I question whether my interior panels at the rear would still fit if I modded the rear structure area etc.

Quote Originally Posted by at_the_junkyard View Post
    The 80 latch uses kind of a 2 bar system mounted on the rear structure with one grabbing the latch and the other one guiding it straight. The aero latch uses a door striker pin type (like the regular door) mounted on an angle on the rear structure as mentioned. He knows his stuff !!

Looking at it I think my best bet if I was to proceed would be to try and swap the hatch door latch assemblies from my 80 and remount/modify it to the good hatch etc.

Also I question whether my interior panels at the rear would still fit if I modded the rear structure area etc.
    Thanks!

I would definitely look at just swapping your original 80's latch into the Aero hatch and see if that is possible as that will be the quickest and easiest solution if it works. If you were doing a full rebuild/restore then I might consider swapping out the mount on the body for the later style striker bolt as I do think in many ways it is a better setup.

There shouldn't be any real difference in the rear panels that I can think of either way. Even if there were, you can easily use any of the later model interior panels at the tail light area and other than maybe a mounting hole in a different location everything will work just fine. Obviously the 86-93 EFI cars will have the plug and opening for the fuel inertia switch access. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

If memory serves when we installed a 1993 hatch on my 1986 GT back in 1995 ....... already due to rust ...... the latch off the 86 went on the 93 along with the wiring harness and spoiler and it was a done deal. Just had to scuff it and paint it.

These days you'd never know I have ever replaced the hatch -- damn that thing is rusty!

Pretty sure that swapping the latch/striker combo for the 81-93 hatches is a bolt on affair. The 79/80 with the different latch and striker combo is the question. Unfortunately I will have to get home to CO to look at my 79 PC to verify what/if any differences there are.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Has anyone on here actually done the 79-80 hatch latch swap to work on the '81-'93? I found a perfect condition '79 hatch for my '86 which is rotted beyond repair and as everyone knows a good hatch seems to be very hard to find. Or is there some sort of kit available to make it work?

Quote Originally Posted by '86 T-TOP GT View Post
    Has anyone on here actually done the 79-80 hatch latch swap to work on the '81-'93? I found a perfect condition '79 hatch for my '86 which is rotted beyond repair and as everyone knows a good hatch seems to be very hard to find. Or is there some sort of kit available to make it work?
    We are wondering the same thing. Have to pull out the newer hatch tomorrow to compare it to the 80 Cobra's hatch that is unfortunately all rusted out. Hopefully the 80 latch can be swapped to the newer hatch.
    ~Paul

1982 Mustang GT
    1983 Mustang GT TTop
    1985 Mustang LX 5.0 Notchback
    1995 Ford F150 SVT Lightning
    www.cardomain.com/id/mustang4life1985

Another thing which isn't a big deal is filling the holes from the spoiler on a later hatch. I assume you'll use the 3 pc spoiler.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153

Did anyone ever figure this one out? I'll be doing the same thing, since I recently had to scrap the rusty hatch on my 79. I have a couple solid later model hatches, but didn't get time to mess with the latch assemblies before I had to leave town. I have another 3 weeks or so before I get back, otherwise, I'd run out and see for myself.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

The 79 uses a latch striker/wire more like the coupes than the later model hatches. That is the biggest issues. The later model hatches will fit the body, but the actual latch mechanism area of the hatch is different on the 79 than the 88. The simplest solution most likely to use the 88 hatch would be to remove the striker bracket/reinforcement on the body and replace with the section from the 88 model. That would allow you to use the striker for an 88 and the 88 hatch without any modifications to the hatch itself. The strikers and latch mechanisms are 79-80, 81-86, 87-early 91 and late 91-93. Hope that helps!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    The 79 uses a latch striker/wire more like the coupes than the later model hatches. That is the biggest issues. The later model hatches will fit the body, but the actual latch mechanism area of the hatch is different on the 79 than the 88. The simplest solution most likely to use the 88 hatch would be to remove the striker bracket/reinforcement on the body and replace with the section from the 88 model. That would allow you to use the striker for an 88 and the 88 hatch without any modifications to the hatch itself. The strikers and latch mechanisms are 79-80, 81-86, 87-early 91 and late 91-93. Hope that helps!
    This is what I had in mind. Just curious what is involved in swapping the striker assembly over. Would I need to cut one out of a later car and weld it in or is it a bolt-on deal? Any idea?
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

Quote Originally Posted by Broncojunkie View Post
    This is what I had in mind. Just curious what is involved in swapping the striker assembly over. Would I need to cut one out of a later car and weld it in or is it a bolt-on deal? Any idea?
    The striker bolt itself threads into a metal plate. Most likely you will need to drill out the welds of the reinforcement/mounting bracket from a donor car and then weld that into your car after removing your mounting bracket. That seems like the easiest option to me with the best possibility of success and no alignment or fitment issues. Unfortunately I only looked at considered this years ago with my own personal 79 PC, but never moved forward with it due to being able to get the hatch latching working properly and fitting correctly. Its possible you might be able to swap a striker bolt in with less work, but I don't think the current reinforcement/mount bracket will work without modifications. I would have to compare the inner hatches side by side to know for sure.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    The striker bolt itself threads into a metal plate. Most likely you will need to drill out the welds of the reinforcement/mounting bracket from a donor car and then weld that into your car after removing your mounting bracket. That seems like the easiest option to me with the best possibility of success and no alignment or fitment issues. Unfortunately I only looked at considered this years ago with my own personal 79 PC, but never moved forward with it due to being able to get the hatch latching working properly and fitting correctly. Its possible you might be able to swap a striker bolt in with less work, but I don't think the current reinforcement/mount bracket will work without modifications. I would have to compare the inner hatches side by side to know for sure.
    Ok. That's good info, Trey. It'll be a while before I get back in town, but I'll be addressing this soon. If I can get this figured out, I'll post it up here. Once again, thanks for the help!
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

Well, I finally got back in town lol! Actually, this car was put on hold while life happened. Since then, I've switched jobs at work, lost some loved ones, worked on several other projects, and I'm just now going back to the 79 Cobra (I've also been busy working on another pace car).

I figured I would update this thread for future reference. While it does appear that the striker assembly and panel could be removed from a newer model, I did not have the newer parts car available. What I did have was a later hatch of unknown year and the 79 latch assembly pulled from the old rusted hatch. I like the idea of keeping the original 79 style mechanism, which, although unique, is probably not as good in design as later models.

I laid the newer hatch on a foldout stand, upside-down and opened the new(er) pace car hatch so I could compare. For the most part, it appears Ford literally just modified the original hatch to accommodate the redesigned latch assembly. After some careful measuring, I could see the new latch was slightly off-center, compared to the old one. The cutout/opening was smaller, but I also see I was missing a piece of sheet metal where a bolt was needed. I can weld the small chunk in (approximately 1 1/2 in square, if I had to guess without being in front of it). An easier solution would be to simply install an L bracket a little wider, which would overlap an existing bolt hole. Just drill a hole in the bracket to catch the existing bolt hole.

Some of the extra sheet metal on the opposite opposite/driver's side of the latch mechanism opening would need trimmed, and then new bolt holes would need added. To bolt the old latch mechanism into the newer hatch, I decided to use a nut-set or riv-nut. Drill hole and pop a threaded rivet in to accept whatever size bolt you want. You could also probably reinforce the bolt hole areas with another piece of sheet metal, if you wanted. A couple plug welds or some epoxy/JB Weld should do the trick to hold those pieces in.

Another thing I almost forgot... the 79-80 hatch has a slot cut to accept a (approximately) 3 inch lip on one edge of the mechanism. Ford didn't bother leaving this slot in the sheet metalof the newer hatch, even though other unused holes and slots were left in (and also unused). A 3 inch cutting disc on a die grinder put it back just like factory and allows the old latch mechanism to sit flush. I imagine another way would be to trim the lip from the latch housing.

I realize none of this probably makes sense without context, but I'm bored and figured someone physically looking at this same situation might find it useful. It took a lot of staring, measuring, and head scratching to figure out, but it's actually an easy modification. I haven't actually completed it, but i have the new latch sitting where it needs to be and everything trimmed. I had been looking for an excuse to buy a rivet-nut tool for a while, so I picked one up. I should have time to finish it this weekend. I've just been too tired after work this week.
    Last edited by Broncojunkie; 03-22-2023 at 10:01 PM.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd