Close

Default The best interior paint for 85 mustang GT interior that is not the dark grey SVO colo

I purchased paint from LMR for the interior of my '85 mustang GT. On the website they advertise that is for the 85 SVO... I spoke to a salesperson who assured me it would be correct for my 85 mustang GT... after painting the back panels I have come to realize it is too dark. This paint is so stinking expensive (and I bought 4 cans of it) so it sucks to be painting right back over the top of it but this is a nicer car and I would like to make it correct if I can. Has anyone else found a lighter gray than what LMR sells?
    Last edited by foot2floor; 04-19-2019 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by foot2floor View Post
    I purchased paint from LMR for the interior of my '85 mustang GT. On the website they advertise that is for the 85 SVO... I spoke to a salesperson who assured me it would be correct for my 85 mustang GT... after painting the back panels I have come to realize it is too dark. This paint is so stinking expensive (and I bought 4 cans of it) so it sucks to be painting right back over the top of it but this is a nicer car and I would like to make it correct if I can. Has anyone else found a lighter gray than what LMR sells?

I bought this, I think it was recommended on here. I haven’t tried it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The interior color (Charcoal) for 84 - 86 was the same for the GT's and the SVO's. The only differences were the seats, headliner and the carpeting. If the paint that you bought didn't match, chances are it won't match if you purchased paint from someone else that advertised it was for GT's, if it came from the same paint supplier.

NPD sells an interior paint from SEM that they say is for the 84-86 cars with the charcoal interior,,,

https://www.npdlink.com/product/inte.../170014/150785

I would assume it has been mixed using SEM's interior color code chart. I don't know if anyone else here has used it and can say whether or not it is a match, but it might be worth giving it a try.

What I would do is before you do any painting, paint the backside of a panel to see how closely it matches, before you paint the finish side of the piece you're working on.
    If they take my stapler, then I'll set the building on fire...

85 Mustang GT