Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thermostat help

Default Thermostat help

Ordering a new thermostat housing(Ford performance) and thermostat(stant superstat195°) for my 91 302. Have the thermostat housing gasket already as part of my fel-pro engine kit but can seem to find the little gasket seal that goes on the actual thermostat. Tried looking on summit as that's where I'm ordering the rest of the stuff. Is there something I'm missing? Can someone link me to the proper seal I need?
    Thanks
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Most of the thermostats have a ring on them that gets clamped between the housing and the cut-in groove where the thermostat rides.

I prefer Gates gaskets because they are self-stick and let you put the thermostat into the housing, apply the gasket, and the gasket has provisions to hold the housing bolts too.

That particular gasket goes over the thermostat on the housing neck and does the same thing you are talking about with sealing the thermostat into the housing.

Quite a few of the gaskets do, but are a PITA if they aren't held on with a dab of gun grease, etc.

A few of the other setups simply don't bother to try to do anything around the thermostat itself. those are even harder yet to install unless the intake is stood up on its end before its installed.

Don't forget -- the air hole/management setup on the thermostat goes towards the top. Install as springs first into the intake.

Personally I always use the OE Ford 192 degree thermostats. They cause the temp gauge to show temps right where the car has always ran.

We recently fought temperatures like mad on my son's 86 and ultimately found not only was the Duralast thermostat from Autozone not opening far enough the pressure cap also wasn't holding enough pressure.

Needless to say the temp control was marginal at best. We swapped out the radiator for a fresh new one along with the fan clutch and still had trouble and that's when we knew it had to be coolant flow or pressure. It was both. GRRR....

If you plan to turn your timing up at all and have AC and live anywhere that gets above 90, I strongly encourage a 3 core radiator or a newer design all alunimum like the FB-169, etc.

Find one where way more cooling capacity than needed is just right.

Thanks for the replies erratic but I'm not sure that helps me lol. I know there is a little o ring that goes between the thermostat and the housing. The problem is the stant does not come with one and I cant seem to find one that fits it.
    Last edited by Sask84gt; 04-20-2019 at 09:57 AM.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    We recently fought temperatures like mad on my son's 86 and ultimately found not only was the Duralast thermostat from Autozone not opening far enough the pressure cap also wasn't holding enough pressure.

Needless to say the temp control was marginal at best. We swapped out the radiator for a fresh new one along with the fan clutch and still had trouble and that's when we knew it had to be coolant flow or pressure. It was both. GRRR....

If you plan to turn your timing up at all and have AC and live anywhere that gets above 90, I strongly encourage a 3 core radiator or a newer design all alunimum like the FB-169, etc.

Find one where way more cooling capacity than needed is just right.
    Thanks for the tips
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

I know what you're talking about. Go to the parts store and look at another T stat it should come in the box. I'm not sure if you can get the o ring by itself, but you should be able to in my opinion.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153

Quote Originally Posted by Sask84gt View Post
    can seem to find the little gasket seal that goes on the actual thermostat. Tried looking on summit as that's where I'm ordering the rest of the stuff. Is there something I'm missing? Can someone link me to the proper seal I need?
    Thanks
    The last time I replaced a thermostat on a 5.0 was awhile ago, but I don't remember a gasket on the thermostat. I think the only gasket used seals the housing. I looked on RockAuto at thermostats, and the pictures don't show any type of gasket for the thermostat, just the one for the housing. I don't think OEMs started using a gasket on the thermostat until the late 90s. Anyway, good luck and let us know how you fixed it.

I changed thermostats in both of my 302’s this year and neither had a gasket on the thermostat.

My ‘92 2.3 did have a o ring on the thermostat but that’s a totally different setup than a v8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only thing there is on these cars is the ring on the outside edge of the tstat as it sits in the indentation in the housing and the gasket material that goes over the housing and hold the tstat in while you are installing it.

If you look at the period SBF and BBF engines or even go back to the 60's or 70's pretty much none of them have had anything else.

So is it alright to use a little dab of gasket maker to hold the thermostat in place when installing the housing?
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Sure is,
    I used weather strip adhesive on the last one I did because I had it and it dries fast

Quote Originally Posted by AldeanFan View Post
    Sure is,
    I used weather strip adhesive on the last one I did because I had it and it dries fast

Perfect thanks!
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Contact cement is what I use. Easy to clean, cheap, and will com off when needed.

Kenny

Do you guys go all the way around the thermostat? I thinking that would also help prevent leaks if I did that with gasket maker.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

I just use a few dabs to hold it in place.
    The only place you need to worry about leaks is the seal between the thermostat housing and the intake.

Ok, thanks
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

The gates gasket is self stick. It has provisions to hold the thermostat in the housing and also hold the bolts while you are putting the housing on the intake. Best I’ve found

I have (seasonally, 180/195... clean both intake and housing sealing surfaces thoroughly, and block sand the housing surface if it has "cupped" some away from being flat...) changed thermostats on a couple SBF (yes, their vertical orientation can be a beeotch, lol) equipped vehicles for "a hundred years", and with the thermostat set into a thin "bed" of Ultra Blue in the groove of the thermostat housing, then finger swiped around with thermostat in it, the gasket set on and positioned with the bolts in temporarily backwards, then set the neck of the housing onto the radiator core so that it'll stand up that way for a while and cure the goo a bit... and then onto the intake manifold it all goes... and I've never ever had any issue.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Apparently many on here are not aware of a feature on a t-stat housing that I used as a tech. numerous times to hold the t-stat in place without using any type of adhesive.

When installing the stat make sure the bleed hole is up and it is flush with the housing, then give the stat a slight twist in the housing and it well hold or lock in place, I usually twist it clockwise and it doesn't move a great amount before it locks, then install the gasket with a slight amount of adhesive.

Quote Originally Posted by gt pony View Post
    Apparently many on here are not aware of a feature on a t-stat housing that I used as a tech. numerous times to hold the t-stat in place without using any type of adhesive.

When installing the stat make sure the bleed hole is up and it is flush with the housing, then give the stat a slight twist in the housing and it well hold or lock in place, I usually twist it clockwise and it doesn't move a great amount before it locks, then install the gasket with a slight amount of adhesive.
    Hmmm, well I tried what you said and mine does not lock into place no matter how many times around clockwise I turn it. Stock 91 housing and a stant superstant 195° thermostat.
    Last edited by Sask84gt; 05-08-2019 at 06:04 PM.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Hmmm, well I tried what you said and mine does not lock into place no matter how many times around clockwise I turn it. Stock 91 housing and a stant superstant 195° thermostat.
    I should have clarified my post better, a OEM Ford t-stat not an aftermarket one. If you look at a Ford t-stat housing and t-stat you should notice there is a raised portion on the stat where it sits in the housing and a corresponding indent on the housing so the stat is installed in the up position for the bleed hole. When installed properly you just need to give it a twist. If I had a picture you would see what I mean better, but I think you'll see what I mean when looking at the housing providing it's an OEM and Ford t-stat.

I need to clarify further that Stant t-stats are a good product but they are not manufactured the same as a Ford OEM t-stat when it comes to this feature.
    Last edited by gt pony; 05-09-2019 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gt pony View Post
    I should have clarified my post better, a OEM Ford t-stat not an aftermarket one. If you look at a Ford t-stat housing and t-stat you should notice there is a raised portion on the stat where it sits in the housing and a corresponding indent on the housing so the stat is installed in the up position for the bleed hole. When installed properly you just need to give it a twist. If I had a picture you would see what I mean better, but I think you'll see what I mean when looking at the housing providing it's an OEM and Ford t-stat.

I need to clarify further that Stant t-stats are a good product but they are not manufactured the same as a Ford OEM t-stat when it comes to this feature.
    So are the OEM Ford t-stats the motorcraft ones?
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

So are the OEM Ford t-stats the motorcraft ones?
    Yes they are.

On EFI cars I always stick with 192 degree Motorcraft thermostats. They consistently put these ol motors right on the money temp wise.

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    On EFI cars I always stick with 192 degree Motorcraft thermostats. They consistently put these ol motors right on the money temp wise.
    Would it be same for Carbed?
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast