Close

Thread: 1993 to 1979

Default 1993 to 1979

Hi all,
    I just picked up 93 Mustang GT 5-speed an wondering what interior parts will swap to 79.
    This is going to be my last never ending project...
    Thanks,
    Ed

Well . . . . That's a bit of a loaded question. Simple answer is almost everything can be swapped into a 79. How much work and how many modifications do you really want to make is the BIG Question.

I will assume you are keeping the stock dash. If not, there are plenty of threads on swapping an aero dash into a 4 Eye to check out.

The quarter panels can be swapped, there are some differences in screw hole locations and the quarter window area needs to be trimmed down @ 3/4" to fit properly, but they are essentially bolt in and provide better speaker locations. Oh the seat belt mount on the B pillar is different, so you will need to drill the panel to match up to your mount and then a grommet or cap to fill the original hole.

Door panels can be swapped, but your low mount inner door handles have to be moved up and the door latch mechanism and rods from the 93 will need to be swapped over for the different door lock and handle locations.

Carpet can be made to work, but the floor shape is slightly different between the 79-81 and the 82-93. I also assume this is a hatchback and not a convertible as that is different all together.

Headliner can be swapped if both roofs are the same, solid or sun roof. Although the dome light locations are different. Trim over the door openings is the same as well as the front/rear metal headliner pieces too.

Door sill plates swap, kick panels will swap although the mounting hole is different. Seat belts can swap, rear shoulder belts are different, but you can weld in the rear mounts to your 79 if so inclined. I did that to my 82 GT to use 91 rear quarter panels and seat belts.

Obviously dash and center console are essentially a matched set with major modifications (check out my 82 GT thread if you want to see what I mean)

Sunvisors can be swapped, but you will have to drill the holes for the inner mounting clips as the early cars don't use them. A pillar trim is unique to the 4 eyes.

Front seats can swap right over, the rear seats are different. The seat bottoms mount differently than the 4 Eyes, but you can pull off the cover to replace your original. The upper seat backs are split where yours is a single piece. You can swap in the split setup with nothing more than having to mount the bottom hinge pivot on the drive shaft tunnel in your 79 from the 93. I have done that too. Not a big deal, just measure twice and drill once.

The rear hatch latch and striker are different than your 79 setup, but actually much better. You will have to swap as a pair, but worth the trouble IMHO. You can swap the whole hatch if you want, just make sure to use the striker from the 93. The 79/80 use essentially the same latch/striker as the trunk setup so its a bit more work to make the swap, but with the parts from the 93 its not too difficult.

I am sure I have missed something, but that should cover most of it. If you have specific part questions then please post them. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Or are you looking to 4-eye swap the '93? That's what it sounds like to me.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Thanks for info,
    Now the fun begins.
    ed

FEP Power Member

Seats is about all without getting into a never ending cascade.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

agree -- nearly all can be made to work without a ton of effort. some is harder than others.

Seats -- the brackets bolt up but the brackets for 87+ are actually taller. The seats in my 86 are from an 89 and are taller in the base than a 1993 seat on 86 floor brackets (which is in my son's convertible) Pre-91 (?) seat backs are 26" vs later front seat backs are only 24"

The cowl panel on the hood and by the wipers is more narrow on the 79 than 83-93.

Metal at the rear supporting tail light buckets is different 83-93 vs 79-82

Exhaust is different, true duals for the 86+ is a better setup but the brake line and routing setup is different

Clutch on 86 and up V8 is 10.5" where-as pre-86 is 10"

79-82 were 4-speed. 83-85 were non-worldclass T5 (mostly). 86+ were WCT5, but 86 was not as strong as later years.

86+ had 8.8 rear vs 7.5 for earlier cars. Much better setup

trans cross-member is different

headers are different as is mid-pipe, etc.

kick panel area of passenger footwell on 79-85 is different. Its very difficult to cram an ECU in where the 86+ cars have them. Some of the ear EFI cars actually had their EEC under the passenger seat.

entire fuel system is different.

Tank and floor area of the trunk is completely different 79 vs 93.

87-93 cars had different spindles and calipers to accommodate larger brakes.

Windshield washer fluid and overflow tank setups were entirely different.

I am certain I'm missing about 100 differences at least.

Would be fun to see or even make a list of revisions showing actual chronological order of production revisions for these cars. For some I know I've always been like WTH.

Headliner board is a little different. The dome light hole off from 83-93 cars, but can be fixed if it's being recovered. Carpet is different then 82-93 car the floor pan is shallower in the 79-81 cars. the later carpet will work just a lot of extra trimming.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153

Thanks again guys,
    Starting with drive train then to interior.
    Last edited by ThunderStruck; 04-30-2019 at 01:43 PM.