Close

Default What year are these interior plastics from?

Hey guys, found a guy that's selling a couple of quarter panel interior plastics. Says they are from 79 or 80 but they are missing the speaker grills. Anybody know what these are from? They are in great shape but they would be going into a 84 and not sure what I would do about my hatch speakers.
    Attachment 127502
    Attachment 127503
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Those are 81-82 rare no rear speakers

Ok, would hate to cut them up but not sure what my options are if I still want rear hatch speakers.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

I agree -- those are indeed quite rare. Was there a radio delete -- not sure there was. Thinking perhaps AM radio cars that had those?

Some of the convertible cars had speakers towards the rear or the front doors instead. Not a bad option but depth is limited due to glass.

Would be a shame to cut those up. Speaker grills are available NOS on Ebay if you decide you want to/need to.

This is what we just picked up for my 85 build.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Ford-6x...S/232812476478
    Last edited by erratic50; 04-19-2019 at 05:39 PM.

i could not cut them either.
    Could use a speaker enclosure(s) or portable speakers.
    Will get more bass than panel mounted.

for what its worth, the old Realistic 8" bookshelf speakers fit snuggly between the two shock covers and sound good in rear fire or upward fire configuration once the bass ports are plugged with an expanding PVC pipe plug

It would not be very hard to build a box that fits right behind the seat that allows you to install an upward fire 6x8 or 6x9. You could wall them off inside the box and even install a pair of 10's or one 12 as well given how little space subs need these days. Easy enough to fasten to the seat by the latch or you could always bolt it through the floor, etc.

The actual box volume would vary based upon what speakers you selected and how you want them to sound. QMS, QTS, VAS, etc, all make a huge impact on sound output, 3db down point, etc.

You could narrow the lower chamber and give yourself a spot to hide amplifiers too -- would need fans to keep that area cool though.

This is very much the design I am thinking of building when I redo my 1986GT.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by erratic50; 04-19-2019 at 06:02 PM.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm going to pick them up and keep them around till I decide what I want to do. I offered the guy about 75 canadian( 50 american) for both and he accepted so I think that's a pretty good price.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Those are a cool find! I have only seen 1 pair in a car in all my years of dealing with Foxes.

I know FoxChassis has all the specific details, but from what I remember the AM and I believe AM/FM entry level radios at least in 79 only came with the single speaker in the dash. I believe the dual rear speakers were an option starting with the AM/FM, but again were not standard equipment.

Great buy! I would definitely not cut speaker holes in the quarters. Not a fan of speaker boxes, but I would go that route long before modifying those panels. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

100% agree -- not a huge fan of speaker boxes but definitely don't modify those!

the box I've always ran in my 1986GT is only deep enough to accommodate the 12" sub in it and is no taller than the back seat when its up and its no wider than the seat either. The space requirements of todays speakers vs the old school ones makes it very possible to add the full range speakers to the top and wall them off like I mentioned above. It never used to be a possibility

I just zip tie my box in so its easy to move if I fold the rear seats down. I HATE it when stuff like that gets in the way of actually using my car which is why I've done my the way I have.
    Last edited by erratic50; 04-20-2019 at 12:45 PM.

My 79 with AM radio (I guess, with the U,L,M buttons) has only the centre speaker. No rear grilles. But it was probably dealer installed.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ALE-L21 met Tapatalk