Close

Default Clutch & trans mount suggestions

Got a new Speedmaster flywheel for my mildly modified carbed 302 (headers, cam, 4bbl) '83 Mustang and figured I'd grab a new clutch too. This will be a daily driver so I figure a stock type clutch will work well enough. I don't race but I do occasionally vigorously "test" the acceleration. What's a decent 10.5" clutch for this set-up with a T5? Not looking to spend more than $150 or so if possible.

Also going to junkyard soon to find a dual hump tranny cross member. Local yard has 94, 95, and up Sn95 Mustangs. Will they have usable cross members in them?

Valeo made the Cobra clutch originally. That is a very good choice.

Zoom makes a kit as well -- again very good choice.

I know some have had good luck with RAM but their poor customer service in situations where they've shipped out an incomplete kit, etc, is the reason I absolutely refuse to do business with them ever again.

For 10.5" clutch assembly you do need a 10.5" compatible flywheel. Pre-86 cars had 10". Pay attention to imbalance on the flywheel you are replacing or you'll trash the engine in almost NO time. Factory stuff is 50oz 1986-93 for sure. Pay attention though -- as you go earlier the odds of running into a car with an older 28oz shortblock swapped into it go up. Also the stroker kits all run a 28.

I've had good luck with the AutoZone 86+ 50oz flywheel. Its 22lb where-as factory was 30. Have one in my 86GT and my son's 86GT - both cars with T5Z (2.95:1 low gear) and 2.73:1 rear gears. Its basically worst case scenario on likelihood to bog off the line, etc, and I find it to be very live-able. Both of us do OK launching without bogging or spinning. Just know we're talking about an 8:1 low vs ideal which is around 12:1 so its tough on clutches and you have to really be on the stick when you drive it.

The 8lb reduction in rotating mass helps GREATLY on acceleration.

For example -- my son shifts his car at around 5400. We swapped to T5Z and a light flywheel both at the same time. With his car 1st gear takes the same amount of time it always did but he's going about 10MPH faster when shifting into 2nd now than he was with the 3.35:1 low gear. Other benefit is 1-2 and 2-3 and 3-4 are all closer together with the Z too. The combo of the light flywheel and Z makes it quite a bit more fun to drive IMO.

My 86 is much the same except I've done some intake tract and intake and exhaust work to my car and it has a mild (old school SD friendly) cam so I'm rolling 60 MPH when I make my 1-2 shift right near the 6250 rev limiter.

This tendency can be easily replicated with 1.7:1 rockers and similar intake and exhaust work -- stock heads are just fine if all you want is RPM range and its a 302.

Another piece of input -- most clutch kits provide a clutch, pressure plate, throw-out bearing. Take any cheap looking throw-out bearing and do EXACTLY what the name says to do ---> throw it out.

I always use National. Other guys have had good luck with Timken. Pick your poison in terms of reliable bearing supplier, but don't use a cheap piece of crap -- it will come back to bite you.

I'd stick to the same thought process on the pilot bearing. The first time mine was ever replaced was at 200K miles and honestly I was just in a wanting to do it right. Well - that cheap replacement is what failed and the bearing inner pushed into the crank destroying a T5.

While you have it apart its a good time to consider a 1 piece steel input shaft bearing retainer. Astro performance makes them. If you go that route just be sure to get the input bearing shimmed correctly again following the detailed service instructions on Tremec's web site.

The retainer is a good upgrade. It guarantees smooth clutch release/engage for year to come. The steel in the retainer adds a fair amount of additional strength for better torque handling at the input shaft too.
    Last edited by erratic50; 04-20-2019 at 12:24 PM.

Thanks Erratic50!,

I found a decent Zoom 30048 Street clutch kit at RockAuto ($100) and a National throw-out bearing ($17) that should do for my needs. Your advice is excellent as I read a previous post after searching that you wrote. The flywheel I bought fits a 10.5" clutch and has both bolt-on plates to let you run 50 oz or 28 oz. Since I built the engine some years ago and it hasn't destroyed itself the E1ZR-6380-AA flywheel it used turned out to be a 50 oz unit. I haven't driven the car in several years but have been slowly fixing and upgrading things. I am also getting a cheapo LMR dual hump crossmember ($50) to clean up the wacky dual exhaust set-up it has. I'll definitely grab an Astro performance bearing retainer. I've watched "50tussin" do the swap on you-tube several times and it looks pretty easy. I noticed he is very picky about setting the bearing pre-load on the cluster gear which makes sense to keep everything lined up under load. He also pays attention to the input shaft end play. I added a steel bearing retainer prior to initially installing the T5 and it is still nice and snug on end play.

BTW I've got a '73 351-C 4 bolt in the basement and some '74 4 bbl heads (not quench) that would be fun in a Foxbody. Maybe someday.... but parts for it get pricey ($500 swap headers, $3K trans, $2K aluminum heads, $250 swap oil pan, etc.) in a hurry. For now the ole 302 is fine.

I think I found out the SN95 crossmembers are not usable in Foxbody cars. But replacement units are pretty cheap brand new so no worries!

Thanks again for the great advice and reply.

valeo makes clutches for most companies..king cobra, ram, autozone etc.

Best kept secret is the autozone 5 spring 1993 cobra clutch..grab one of those. Make sure the disc has 5 springs, not 4
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

Quote Originally Posted by v8only View Post
    valeo makes clutches for most companies..king cobra, ram, autozone etc.

Best kept secret is the autozone 5 spring 1993 cobra clutch..grab one of those. Make sure the disc has 5 springs, not 4
    Kinda bringing this back from the dead, but are you referring to their cheapest duralast kit? I think it's $114.
    Last edited by bkm; 06-02-2019 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bkm View Post
    Kinda bringing this back from the dead, but are you referring to there cheapest duralast kit? I think it's $114.
    They used to be Valeo. Unsure if that's still the case. You would have to go look at one
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

I wouldn't say it's a secret and it's not just Autozone. NAPA or Advance or whoever do not manufacture clutches or alternators or motor oil. There is no Advance Auto clutch factory or AutoZone oil refinery. There's only so many people that make clutches and they will sell them to anyone who will buy one. The NAPA clutches are usually Valeo. When I say that, literally open the box right there at the counter and it likely has a Valeo sticker right there on it. I've also seen them from RAM as well.

Well the Zoom clutch certainly has more pedal force than the stock clutch I had. Almost too much for my taste. I finally got it back on the ground today and moved it around the yard a bit testing brakes etc. With all the stuff I fixed and replaced it ought to do well for awhile now. Just a few more little things and some tires to go.