Close

Default Alterrnator Overcharging

I have an 81 Capri that I drag race and spent this winter removing weight which included all unneccesary wiring. Everything in the car works fine except now it is overcharging. The engine and trans are out of a 70 Torino so the alternator is externally regulated. When we first fired the car up, it was only charging to 12.04 volts at idle or reving, car has always produced 13.8-14.4. Did the usual checks and the F terminal is connected to the Field on the alternator, the S tab is connected to the Stat on the alternator, the ground is direct to the engine and the A is on the Alt tab on the alternator. The only one that had nothing hooked to it was the "I" terminal on the regulator. Found some info that said that was the ignition tab and needed to be supplied 12 volts. Hooked 12volts to that and now the car is 18volts at idle and higher on reving. Any info is appreciated.

What are the chances your vr is just bad? I have an 86 coupe sitting in my driveway right now with a new alternator and crusty old regulator. The previous owner didn't replace it. It's now overcharging.

But on a more important note, what's the skinny on that old torino setup you put in a fox? I need to hear more about this!