Close

Default New to me '84 Mustang LX Convertible

So I recently picked up this little mustang. It's a 5.0 H.O. motor with cfi and an AOD.

My mom works at a storage facility and got to bsing with a customer who paying his bill. He told her that he wanted to get his unit cleaned out and mentioned he had an old Mustang parked in there. She told him I might be interested and put me in contact with him. Turns out, he's a lawyer from San Francisco and had recieved the car as payment from a client in the late 80s or early 90s. He didn't need the car and put it in storage in 1991. (My mom checked the records of how long he had this unit) He removed the battery after driving it in and there it sat for the past 28 years.

The car has 37,5xx original miles. Original paint, convertible top and even the original TRX rims with some 30 year old Michelin TRX's with no cracks and still holding air.

It's not perfect but is in great original condition. I've been going through it trying to get it running again. I haven't got a lot of time to work on it but have been making some steady progress. If all goes well, I may have time this next weekend and hopefully get her fired up.

Thanks for all the great info available here. It has been instrumental to my success thus far. Thanks again and hope you all enjoy the pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by MadBret; 04-16-2019 at 11:14 PM.

Couple more pics
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Great find! That car looks to be in amazing condition. Good luck with it.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Nice! he must have spent a lot on storage over the last 28 years. Very nice find, congrats!

I don't know how much he paid in the beginning, but he was paying just shy of $200 a month for the unit until last month. Money does not seem to be a problem for the guy...

I have to do some more research to confirm, but I believe the car was originally purchased about an hour from where I live and has spent it's whole life in the San Francisco bay area. I've found some stickers on it from the local Ford dealership from services that donw there. I was going to try and give them the vin and see if they can tell me anything about it and if they originally sold the car. Fun project.

FEP Power Member

Nice find. Congrats. Are you in the Bay Area?
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Wow...... Your Mom hooked you up with a great fine. Have fun with it.... Congrats....

that's really clean! FYI, those came with flat tappet NON ho motors, was it swapped out?
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

All 1982-93 5.0L Mustang engines were "H.O." Yes, even the flat-tappet cam 1982-84 carb and 1984-85 CFI engines.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    Nice find. Congrats. Are you in the Bay Area?
    I am indeed. I was born and raised in Santa Rosa but currently reside on Cobb Mt. I believe the car was originally sold in Santa Rosa at Hansel Ford. There's a sticker on the sideview mirror that says city of Sausalito resident parking permit that expired May of '85. Also, a few Hansel Ford stickers from services done.

Quote Originally Posted by v8only View Post
    that's really clean! FYI, those came with flat tappet NON ho motors, was it swapped out?
    It's all original from what I can tell...

Nice car. Get it running and shine it up and enjoy driving a 35 year old low mileage car.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

Wow! What a great find and a cool story to boot.

That's the kind of cars I like to see on the show field.
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

Congrats on a wonderful find.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

FEP Power Member

If you go onlin3 and check the smog check history, sometimes you can get some history on where and when it was smog. Checked.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Absolutely intense luck and a gorgeous convertible. Drop the top when it warms up and GO.....
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

Great find! She’s a beauty! Love to see them all original. I am in the Bay Area also.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    If you go onlin3 and check the smog check history, sometimes you can get some history on where and when it was smog. Checked.
    I tried to do a little digging for info the other day. I called the local Ford dealership (Hansel Ford in Santa Rosa) and tried to find out if the car was originally sold there. The manager was super cool and tried to help me out but could not confirm. He ran a carfax on it and basically no information came up. The car is out of the dmv system and hasn't been on the road since the late eighties or so. He also tried logging into the ford system but couldn't find much info other than what I already knew. He recommended that I try contacting Ford motor company directly and said that they may be able to provide more info.

Thanks for all the kind words, gentlemen.