Close

New User

Default 1981 Notch Back - new dew wipes don't fit

Hi,
    I have a 1981 Mustang coupe Ghia that has many problems but this one is about the door exterior belting or dew wipes.
    The original ones have rotted down so I bought a set from Fox Resto. - part no. 1179005 for 79-86 models. They only come assembled in a black steel trim where as mine were in a chrome trim but I didn't see any problem changing the trim over.
    When I came to fit them last summer I was annoyed to find that I had to modify my chrome trims slightly to get them to fit and then found that the felted rubber section that seals the window were short.
    The originals were 38-1/2" long where as the new ones were 38" long which means that I have a gap at each end as shown in the photos.

Name:  IMG_0361.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  78.4 KBName:  IMG_0362.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  67.5 KB

I have looked at many suppliers that stock these parts & emailed most about my problem but all the available dew wipes for this year seem to be the same with a 38" wipe in a black trim!
    Why are my doors different?
    Has any one had this problem and is there a solution?
    I have already spent ages repairing the bottoms of the doors, I don't want to do it again because the windows aren't sealed.

Unfortunately this seems to be the case with the reproductions today. The OEM weatherstripping would often shrink over time too, creating the same issues. I don't really have a good fix for the problem, I generally will slide the weatherstripping back as far as I can to try and close up the game at the back of the door, hoping the gap at the front is less noticeable due to the mirror.

As for the bottom of the doors not rusting out, there are drain holes in the bottom of the doors that need to stay clear of trash and debris. That allows any water that gets inside to drain away. I would also recommend painting the inside of the door with a quality rust preventive paint to protect any bare metal and any rust from starting. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

most of the repro parts look good in pics, until they go on the car. I bought a set of 85-86 door belt moldings. $75 each and they had more waves then the ocean once on the car. best to find good condition oem parts.