Close

Thread: Granatelli MAF?

Default Granatelli MAF?

I bought a Granatelli MAF sensor from a swap meet awhile back. I’m trying to see if anybody can identify if this is a 24# injector or not? The Granatelli website doesn’t even have a numbering scheme like this. I attached a picture below hopefully one of you guys has enough knowledge of these to identify? It was sold as 88-93 mustang sensor. Thank you for any help!

Name:  F73D757F-22CD-468A-8B9C-3A2CE8F1F668.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  36.5 KB

Sorry, Just realized its hard to read once I uploaded. I believe the number inscribed says 07c01702-24

"Recalibrated" MAF sensors are *junk* for the most part. They lie to the ECU to make it think the air is uber ultra thin so it gives less injector pulse which then in-turn delivers the same amount of fuel a 19 lb injector would have with a stock MAF.

Where things go sideway is on stuff like timing advance. I've seen it so many times where a car that's a literal parts catalog can't keep up with a turned up stock everything car with 19's and the reason ends up being lack of timing advance delivery.

If the car were mine, I would NOT run a "calibrated" MAF.

You are much better off locating MAF from Ford that has a well known signal curve to it and using injectors and ECU to match. The 89-93 MAF sensor in a 70MM MAF housing then either programming the ECU to run the Cobra MAF calibration or swap to a 1993 Cobra ECU are examples.

I assume you are after both a larger MAF and bigger injectors. If you swap to the Cobra ECU that one is already tuned for a 302 CID motor with 24 lb injectors and the Cobra 70 MM housing. You can of course tune a tune like the A9L or A9P to use an injector strategy that's based upon having a 24 lb injector connected rather than a 19.

The cheapest thing I've seen done is Cobra MAF, 24's and a swap to a Cobra ECU. There are things about the 93 Cobra tune in terms of timing that makes it softer -- less aggressive -- than tunes like the A9L and A9P, but that can be more or less compensated for. A slight increase in base timing and a small bump in fuel pressure often get back everything it ever dropped.

I have been told but have never confirmed on my car that some ECUs like the Cobra are programmed to kill the timing once the car is going over 85 MPH in 5th too. If it is done in a given tune the signal to do that comes from the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) which could be put on a switch that toggles it on/off. Things like cruise and that just backed off the gas and in neutral or clutch pushed in idle do tend to use VSS signal.

This thread title starts off in a bad way. Just the name Granatelli has a bad sound to the ears. Known for low quality copies of performance parts and low reliability. Hope that you aren't into this one too deeply. Strongly consider prior to putting this on your car.

Nope, was grouped in with a bunch of parts when I bought my A9L and other pieces for the MAF conversion. I have a stock MAF 55mm housing and sensor that I will be using on this car thanks to your advice. It is an 83 TBird that has a 87 5.0ho motor in it. Nothing too fancy just putting an explorer intake and 70mm throttlebody on it was supposed to be 65mm but when I got home I realized it was a 70mm. Thanks guys I did find out this is “calibrated” for 24lb injectors and has no use for me on this car.