Close

Default rear tail light assembly

I was thinking of getting new tail lens from LMR but regardless I think I have to open mine up. The internal plastic in the driver side unit is marred up and doesnt reflect well. In the daytime it looks like driver side brake light barely lights. Upon inspection we found no voltage or ground problem. Both bulbs illuminate the same outside of the case but the driver side internally looks pitted and therefore no longer reflective.

I was gonna clean and re-paint the internal lens backing plates. Anybody done this before? Suggestions on the best color and best reflective paint I can use?

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...979-tail-light

I bet some of the newer version tails on early cars is because it is hard to find the correct version.

When repainting the bulb housing lens, white will reflect light differently than silver or chrome paint.
    Same with gloss, matte, flat.
    Like painting a room white vs chrome or silver. Reflection, diffraction, diffusion, etc.
    Most repaint whatever color that was there.

I just did this last week. I used Duplicolor Chrome (I think, I can verify later). The original was a dull, flat silver. The new paint is much 'brighter' and glossier. I haven't reassembly the lenses yet, but it is an obvious improvement.
    1985 GT owned since new

Quote Originally Posted by swearint View Post
    I just did this last week. I used Duplicolor Chrome (I think, I can verify later). The original was a dull, flat silver. The new paint is much 'brighter' and glossier. I haven't reassembly the lenses yet, but it is an obvious improvement.
    I see Rustoleum has a "reflective' spray but it goes on clear. Not sure if it should be painted flat white or silver first then apply the clear reflective. Also saw an mirror paint in rustoleum and kyrylon but that looks to be specific for glass and the backside is painted for the mirror effect.

I looked at the reflective paint as well. The reviews I found were not favorable. It seems it is highly dependent on the application technique. It appears it works by creating many little reflective droplets. Also, I don't think it would work as it would be behind the taillight plastic.
    1985 GT owned since new

Read that shiny mirror or chrome will brighten lights when viewing straight on, but is dark when viewing off center.
    The dull paint is to diffuse light to the sides. Soften 'hot' spots.

I like lights to look big and bright, not super bright harsh.
    Like led cop emergency lights or led tails at a red light- bright pinpoints- messes with the eyes- blinding with after imaging spots.
    Drivers are known to drive into bright lights like bugs.
    Take chrome wheels. If there is a black background, wheels mirror black. Car show background is multi colored.
    Luv my factory chrome wheels on the Ranger because the paint is dull....Mustang is black with Argent painted turbines.
    Eye focus is away from the Ranger paint, reverse on the Mustang.
    Just my penny' s worth...

I just restored mine as the lenses were faded almost clear on the sides. On my reflectors i used metal hvac tape. Didn't have to worry about masking or overspray lol worked a treat. Side note, the VHT night shades red paint turned out better than i thought it would. Name:  20190611_110411.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  149.5 KB
    1984 convertible 5.0 auto.