Close

Default new battery for 84 GT 5.0

Well, the battery (dated March 2011) that came in the car when I bought it (May 2011) looks to be done. I'm surprised it's lasted this long. It doesn't get exposed to Houston heat in traffic very much, but I've been pretty busy with work and church lately and haven't driven the car much, which is a shame because we've had some really nice t-top weather. Maybe I should keep a trickle charger on all the time, but that's more hassle. I have had to put a charger on it a couple of times this spring to get it started. Anyway, I did drive the car last weekend, but the battery left me stranded for the first time. Luckily I was in the same parking lot as Auto Zombie. I almost bought a new battery there, but didn't want to spend the ~$140 (plus tax and core) without first doing some cost shopping. The guy was nice and just gave me a boost instead.

The cheapest group 56 battery that I found online was a 24-month battery at Walmart for $100. Other batteries at different auto parts stores were in the $135 range. It seems that group 56 battery choices are kind of limited? Surprisingly, I went to parts.ford.com today and ordered a Motorcraft (whatever that means these days) BXT-56-A for $104, plus tax and core. Originally showed up as $130, but when I selected my closest dealer, it knocked the price down. Hopefully it will be ready for pickup next week.

Any other ideas for new batteries?
    Last edited by Saturn V; 04-13-2019 at 03:28 PM.
    Present: '84.5 Mustang GT T-top, '06 Mazdaspeed6
    Past: '79 5.0 Capri, '86 Buick GN, '90 Mustang GT, '92 SHO, '95 SHO
    Browse cover pages of my Fox Chassis related library

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

I had the same dilemma last year. Went with a Motorcraft from Ford, cost something like $103.00 OTD. I bought mine in August. Highly recommend. Interstates are available too.
    Last edited by Bryan Knebworth; 04-13-2019 at 04:09 PM. Reason: text added

I just bought, 2 days ago a new battery for my 83 GT from AZ it cost me $134.99 it is also a group 56. The sales guy could hardly believe the old battery was dated Oct. 2007. The old battery was still working great until I started having slow crank. I think after reading this thread maybe I paid too much. Wow that Ford battery is a great deal, it has a 36 month warranty my AZ battery is only 24 month.
    Last edited by Dave9052; 04-13-2019 at 06:50 PM.

Got the new battery installed. Looks much better. Don’t know why I didn’t notice before that the negative battery cable is apparently a little too short ... have to route it over the battery to make it fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Present: '84.5 Mustang GT T-top, '06 Mazdaspeed6
    Past: '79 5.0 Capri, '86 Buick GN, '90 Mustang GT, '92 SHO, '95 SHO
    Browse cover pages of my Fox Chassis related library