Close

Default adjusting rear quarter convertible windows

While I have my interior out of my 84 vert I want to take time to try to fix the adjustment on the driver side rear quarter window. I have the convertible pamphlet that shows where the adjustments are. However it looks like I will have to remove the power window motor to get at the adjustments. So then I'd have to keep installing the motor to check the adjustment. Im sure its gonna take a few tries to get it right.

Anyone done this before? Suggestions on how to approach it? I really want to get this done. All three other windows open and close perfect. The driver side rear is the only one I have to mess with.

I finally got the determination to do my rear quarter window assembly. Took a good part of the day yesterday and today. I replaced the original plastic base that was cracked in half and put in an aluminum replacement from LMR. I also swapped out the guide bars and guide bar bushings with Motorcraft NOS parts I got off ebay like 3 years ago. Yeah I procrastinated on this one.

Anyway. i got it all assembled and the function is smooth and runs great. the thing is my driver side rear quarter is still way out of adjustment. The lower guide bar has slots that run left and right to tilt the assembly. All the way right and the window is crooked, as it was before I did this replacement. Tilt to the left and the window is straight but the glass is so far forward that the driver door glass overlaps it.

There's no adjustment I can play with the get the entire assembly to sit about 1/4 to a 1/2 inch to the left (back). The only thing I can think of is to remove the bracket that bolts to the frame and see if I can elongate the mounting holes to allow me to mount the assembly a quarter inch to the back. The bolt pictured in the lower right corner, thats the mount points I would need to get adjustment to.

Anybody had a problem like this with rear quarters? Also, LMR posts motorcraft instructions to making adjustments that dont pertain to how my 84 is set up. Their video is demonstrated on a 2 eye so I assume there's some differences to the assembly on a 4 eye. Thankfully the passenger side rear quarter is in perfect condition. The original plastic mount is intact and the window closes perfect so I'm not messing with it.

Name:  101-Resized_20190412_133146_8866.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  97.4 KB
    Last edited by fgross2006; 04-12-2019 at 07:28 PM.

Since nobody is getting in on this thread I thought I'd update it.

I found that the LMR kit is somewhat lacking. the bolt holes don't line up with the existing holes in the mount that the aluminum blocks fit into. I had to elongate one hole with a dremmel. Also I realized after a lot of trial and error that if the original rubber bumper stops are not still in place and in good condition you cannot even begin to try to adjust the rear quarter windows.

In the Mustang Convertible booklet that part is called a front up-stop bumper which when Googled turns up nothing. Luckily I have a blow up diagram of the rear quarter window assembly courtesy of Matt Lazaic from NPD (Thanks Matt). That diagram shows the part and it has a listed part number of 21762 which when I Googled that it comes up as a bumper stop for 64-70 Mustangs. That wouldn't be the first time an old part from classic Stangs were recycled into use in Foxbody's. I attached the diagram and strangely enough that part is circled with an arrow pointing to it on the diagram. Whoever had that pic before me was obviously in need of the same part.

Theres no listing for this up-stop bumper for 83-93 Mustang convertibles but I have a feeling the part for 64-70 Stangs is the same. It looks about right in the picture so I ordered a set from ebay. I also called LMR as a courtesy to give feedback and suggest they update their kit to include these bumper stops and to update their video which never mentions the bumper stops as well. How many people do you think struggled with the rear quarter window adjustments and never realized these bumper stops are what sets the stop point by bumping into a bolt head which itself can be adjusted to set the front to back position of the window when its closed. Without them its 100% impossible to adjust the rear quarter windows.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-1970-F...ss!11520!US!-1

Name:  1983-89 Quarter Window (1).jpg
Views: 27
Size:  56.9 KB
    Last edited by fgross2006; 04-16-2019 at 08:03 PM.

Have just finished replacing the inner and outer window rubber dew wipes on my 86 and had to pull the the rear quarters almost completely apart to get to the center pop rivet for the outer rubber. Fortunately, all went back together without to much trouble. I have a huge amount of back and forth movement in both quarters, which kind of allows them to self adjust, but not enough to get that pop rivet in the middle.
    Cheers

Another headache with adjusting the rear quarters. the passenger side doesn't go up all the way level with the front window like it shows in the convertible booklet.
    Name:  Resized_20190421_181956_8363.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  31.2 KB

The next pic in the booklet says to loosen the two carrier bolts and adjust the window then tighten the bolts. The picture they show in the booklet shows slotted holes behind the carrier bolts.
    Name:  Front Up-Stop Bumper.jpg
Size:  28.5 KB

Mine doesn't have those slots. Mine, as well as the junked rear quarter I picked up, have two exact sized mount holes to slide over the 2 studs. I need the passenger side quarter to go up at least 1/4 to 3/8 higher. I have no idea how else to adjust that.
    Name:  cropped_20190412_133139_19.jpeg
Size:  28.9 KB

Heres a junked part with glass removed. this doesnt have slotted carrier.
    Name:  Resized_20190421_183732_7267.jpg
Size:  32.2 KB
    Last edited by fgross2006; 04-21-2019 at 05:42 PM.