Close

Default Original 7.5 rear end with slapper bars worth hanging on to?

I need to clean out my garage and since I just bought a new 8.8, I have the old and still in good shape 7.5 taking up a lot of space.

Is there any demand for something like this? Not sure many people are rebuilding to original spec. Some people said it might be worth cutting the slapper bars off to sell, but not sure it's worth the effort if they're worth $5.

I hate to take it to the junk yard, but can't see myself ever going back to a 7.5.

Slapper bars are easy to remove, 4 nuts and 8 tack welds on the housing bracket. I used mine on my 8.8 until I did the MM lower control arms and Cobra Disk brakes. Since then, I installed them on my daughter's 83 Capri. I love the old school look.

Pitch the 7.5, too many of them out there and not worth the price of lugging it around.

Kenny

I had to give mine away to get rid of it. And it only took 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by mudgepondexpress View Post
    Slapper bars are easy to remove, 4 nuts and 8 tack welds on the housing bracket. I used mine on my 8.8 until I did the MM lower control arms and Cobra Disk brakes. Since then, I installed them on my daughter's 83 Capri. I love the old school look.

Pitch the 7.5, too many of them out there and not worth the price of lugging it around.

Kenny
    The "easy to remove" comment made me chuckle and then want to cry...nothing on the the bottom of that car has come off without fire, sweat and even blood. You would not believe what the rust belt can do to these cars. Those brackets are nearly one with the axel tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by mudgepondexpress View Post
    Slapper bars are easy to remove......I love the old school look.

Kenny
    What he says! The old school look is just simply too cool. Ditch that 7.5 It's 2019 and nobody wants the 8 inch stuff from the '60s.

What about the square pads that bolt to the lower control arms

I junked my 7.5 but pulled & sold the traction lok and gears out of it to someone who was looking for one. I never guessed that it had value to anyone.

I have a 2.64 open end 7.5 for sale lol.. going to give it to my brother as yeah they are worth scrap only as no one wants them.

Quote Originally Posted by tonysilver82 View Post
    What about the square pads that bolt to the lower control arms
    You don't have to have it, but if you can removed them, you should. 1/2 the ones I know the bolts twist off in them.

Kenny

Be careful what you throw away or scrap. Head over to the some of the vintage forums, and see how much it will cost you to replace things like "that smog junk".

Got space, who cares but, there is no value in that thing currently. We are still a good way away from this car being rare or rivet-counter stock restored. If it was a low number and mileage Saleen or something, maybe it matters more but a generic four eye GT? Not there yet.

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by MN_Stang View Post
    I need to clean out my garage and since I just bought a new 8.8, I have the old and still in good shape 7.5 taking up a lot of space.

Is there any demand for something like this? Not sure many people are rebuilding to original spec. Some people said it might be worth cutting the slapper bars off to sell, but not sure it's worth the effort if they're worth $5.

I hate to take it to the junk yard, but can't see myself ever going back to a 7.5.

PM sent

I'm in the same boat. Getting ready to install my 8.8 and will have my 7.5 sitting around taking up space. The only thing going for it is the Auburn carrier and the 4.10s lol
    1984 convertible 5.0 auto.