Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Basin Motorsports View Post
    I have two different Foxes. One was a $700 notchback that is my forever car. I don't plan to sell it, and if I did don't expect to break even or profit. It's my experiment that I tinker with and build to my taste. If someone one with the money and interest wanted it bad enough, I'd let it go. Until then it just keeps me out of trouble and gives me something to enjoy working on. My 2nd one is a $500 '86 hatchback that was pulled from a field. I'm just restoring it a little bit, and do plan to sell it eventually. I'm watching every dollar spent on it (minus the labor). The plan is to break even or make a little bit of money on it. I am not changing anything drastically to my taste. I'm keeping it pretty generic and bland so that someone can build it to their taste.
    I have doubled my money on two fox bodies in the past. Both were 4 cylinder notch backs that I bought for less than $500 and sold for $1100 each. My 86 Convertible was bought for $1100 (no engine or trans) then I dumped money into it including $4000 paint job.

Around here, Foxes get no respect at shows or coffee and cars. The Mustang guys are divided into classic 1964-1973 and late model Coyote and Shelby. Foxes are step children ( not as bad as Mustang II).

Drag racers love them but you will see many LS engines.
    2000 Explorer engine with Edelbrock intake, Holley 600, TCI AOD, 3.73 gears, Max Mtr sport roll bar, subframe connectors, and rear control arms. /I]

I could've bought a brand new Shelby and had gas money left over for what my 79 cost to build. But my car is one of a kind and I have no expectations or plans to sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Rider View Post
    I could've bought a brand new Shelby and had gas money left over for what my 79 cost to build. But my car is one of a kind and I have no expectations or plans to sell it.
    Love your car
    2000 Explorer engine with Edelbrock intake, Holley 600, TCI AOD, 3.73 gears, Max Mtr sport roll bar, subframe connectors, and rear control arms. /I]

Quote Originally Posted by Geezerstang View Post
    Drag racers love them but you will see many LS engines.
    This is the main reason I bought my rust free 2.3 85 notch. Another guy was trying to buy it and cut it up into a drag car.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

after building many cars in the past, and now with my 69 falcon and I told myself...... no more! I found another Capri that I felt sorry for I had to save it but the cost is a lot but it is my hobby Attachment 127393Name:  thumbnail (7).jpg
Views: 278
Size:  126.8 KBName:  thumbnail (9).jpg
Views: 278
Size:  134.4 KB
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

One cost my buddy over $50,000 (three different power-trains over 5 years) and finally his marriage. And he lost the car.
    Last edited by 85_GT; 04-12-2019 at 03:27 PM.

1982 Mustang GT in progress

Geez, that's awful. I'm grateful for my wifie who gets it!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Geez, that's awful. I'm grateful for my wifie who gets it!
    mine is the same way, im navy retired so my pay my play.....lol (as long as the house bills are paid) I can do what ever I want lol
    Past 4 eyes-
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

I'm embarrassed to say how much I have into my RS Capri! Let's put it this way, I could be driving a REALLY nice newer Porsche for what I have into my car!

I didn't build my car as an investment nor did I build it with the intentions of selling it. The car was a gift to me when I was 21 from my Father and he bought the car new in 1984. I never intend to sell my car and that pretty much sums it up. I am building the car I want to drive and unfortunately for me I have expensive tastes ROFL! When I first started to build my car I didn't really know what I wanted or how to get it to where I wanted it to be, so I ended up buying parts 2 or 3 times because I didn't like the quality of a part or the way the part I had bought had changed the way the car performed, also let's face it, some of the first parts I bought were cheap and I wanted to replace those parts (even though they were new) with something better.

The bottom line is you have to assess what you want out of a car when you start to fix it up and if it's not a car you "LOVE", there has to be a price cap of what you are willing to spend to get where you want to be.

It is ALWAYS cheaper to buy someone else's labor of love then it is to build your own!

Robert
    Last edited by Hemlock; 11-19-2019 at 11:52 AM.
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

What a beautiful and unique ride. who cares as long as you love it. I honestly have not yet to date overspent on a project. YET. My day is coming I think. I've got a real, real nice SN95 5.0 that I've gotten bored with and have Coyote/ T56 dreams currently swimming through my head. These Fox cars will continue to appreciate for the time being. The bottom has come and gone for the reasonably foreseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by mmb617 View Post
    I think the better question would be is there anybody on this site who didn't sink way too much money into their fox body. Isn't that what you're supposed to do?
    Couldn't agree more!

Out of the three mustangs i've owned, only one was sold and brought a profit (still have the other two). It was an '86 LX vert 3.8 c5. Paid $300 for it with a half-torn down motor that blew head gaskets and owner gave up. Put it all back together and sold for $1500.

I don't want to know what I have in the other two... probably 4-5x what they're worth. Heck, who cares? It's part of the hobby.
    84.5 GT Convertible Build Thread
    86 LX Coupe

Its simply the cost of the hobby. It's a losing proposition right from the get go. I have never kept track of my builds and there have been many. Just as I finish one I let it go and be enjoyed by another I realize that I lose some kind of money on a car but I really hope to keep this Pace car till I can give it to my 3 yo grandson.
    For a fox body a coyote swap will bring strong money for a top notch build but I still think they are losing coin.
    I have so much fun working on cars. It's always been a passion. I try to not think of the downfalls.
    Other hobbies really dont make you money. Look at the cost of golf. Shooting sports. Motorcycles. You name it you are losing money.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by brian.aughe View Post
    Its simply the cost of the hobby. It's a losing proposition right from the get go.

I really don't agree that this is true. I certainly do not blame anyone who spends more on what they WANT to do than the car is worth. It's your car and it's your money, do as you wish. I was the first one to reply to this thread with that statement. I respect everyone for doing what they want. But to say there's no way around losing money right from day one....seems like a stretch to me. I do all my own work aside from paint and body so maybe that's the difference. I can rebuild engines, replace clutches, install springs, suspension and big brake kits etc. I guess if you are paying someone else the entire way, maybe it is a losing proposition from the start? Never looked at it that way before. I am not a big buyer and seller but the ones I've sold I've at least broken even on personally. I refused to paint my Turbo project just for that exact reason. I knew it would push the cost way over the value. I painted only the bad spots and just enjoyed the "character" of the aged panels. I was patient and waited to find nice used parts for good deals. I made money on it. and it was a TURBO, which everyone on the planet SAYS they love but very, very few actually want. I certainly don't consider myself real smart or anything. It was no where near as nice as Hemlock's ride of course but it was pretty cool and I had tons of fun with it.

so the term is sink money? well I just blu 1500.00 on 4 new cats so I could be cal state legal and get my new plates
    Past 4 eyes-
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

I have spent well over 15000, 2nd custom engine being bulit (builder covering), money to buy hard to find T top parts (extra set of door glass), third brake light 1st yr. required. Car is stll not painted and need to work on brakes and suspension. Will I give up. No.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    I really don't agree that this is true. I certainly do not blame anyone who spends more on what they WANT to do than the car is worth. It's your car and it's your money, do as you wish. I was the first one to reply to this thread with that statement. I respect everyone for doing what they want. But to say there's no way around losing money right from day one....seems like a stretch to me. I do all my own work aside from paint and body so maybe that's the difference. I can rebuild engines, replace clutches, install springs, suspension and big brake kits etc. I guess if you are paying someone else the entire way, maybe it is a losing proposition from the start? Never looked at it that way before. I am not a big buyer and seller but the ones I've sold I've at least broken even on personally. I refused to paint my Turbo project just for that exact reason. I knew it would push the cost way over the value. I painted only the bad spots and just enjoyed the "character" of the aged panels. I was patient and waited to find nice used parts for good deals. I made money on it. and it was a TURBO, which everyone on the planet SAYS they love but very, very few actually want. I certainly don't consider myself real smart or anything. It was no where near as nice as Hemlock's ride of course but it was pretty cool and I had tons of fun with it.
    I never look at putting money into the car as whether or not I am going past the value of the over all vehicle. I always do my own work short of electrical. Building the car is what I want to do. I never specifically build a car with an eye to resell.
    So maybe that's where I differ from you. I just play with a particular car till I feel it's done. I get bored and move on to another.

<-----My latest money pit, problem with this one is, it was expensive to start off with lol.

Been driving these cars since 1988, probably had 20 or so and modified them all. Some more than others, but it all ads up.
    Saleen 86-0177

I dont ............because I dont have money..or else I will

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk
    82 Capri BM, 84 Mustang Gt, 88 T-Bird TC, 93 Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by 84zorro View Post
    I dont ............because I dont have money..or else I will

You don't have any money because you have the 2016 Shelby GT350 and the 2019 F150!!!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    You don't have any money because you have the 2016 Shelby GT350 and the 2019 F150!!!
    thats so true Trey.

82 Capri BM, 84 Mustang Gt, 88 T-Bird TC, 93 Mustang

My 86 has been in and out of the garage for awhile the other half complains that I spend more time with it than her.

Quote Originally Posted by brian.aughe View Post
    I never look at putting money into the car as whether or not I am going past the value of the over all vehicle. I always do my own work short of electrical. Building the car is what I want to do. I never specifically build a car with an eye to resell.
    So maybe that's where I differ from you. I just play with a particular car till I feel it's done. I get bored and move on to another.

Okay I guess. I was just responding to the single sentence I quoted from you. That buying a car automatically means you are losing money. I don't think that's true. I am not real smart which I freely admit. i have gotten bored with a few of my cars and still have never lost money on them if that matters. i still think it's possible if you are not trying to build a magazine car to build a serious ride that is dependable with heat and AC and handles good and not lose money personally.
    Last edited by homer302; 11-25-2019 at 06:49 PM.

Think it's bad with Stang or Capri, try an LTD.
    Have more in just the motor than I will ever get.

What does everyone think the highest price sold for
    a fox LTD has been, ever??
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

Quote Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
    Think it's bad with Stang or Capri, try an LTD.
    Have more in just the motor than I will ever get.

What does everyone think the highest price sold for
    a fox LTD has been, ever??
    You guys are lucky. The price/cost/value equation with Foxes has always been constant...the press has always given the speel that its basically the lowly Fairmont platform, and that in the eyes of the majority, it even had four cylinders and snake skin decals.

In truth, it has awesome steering, a great list of perfect chassis upgrades, and latent strengths in all its engine combinations that make it just like the Opel Commodore/Monza and the Holden Commodore/Calais/Statesman/Caprice/Monaro and later G8/ GTO.

And Ford was first with the Fox, its basically a Opel V car with a proper engine and better dynamics for the lowest price/cost with the greatest dynamic value per dollar. Don't complain about lack of recognition...that is changing

The Fairmont/Zephyr's stock is slowly rising because so many guys are racing them. It doesn't help the LTD/Marquis's case that there are just fewer of them, the name confusion with the Panthers, and they never came in a 2-door.

Although, I'll tell you, if I had no project and were choosing one today, I would choose an LTD over a Fairmont all day. Better looks, much nicer interior, and so on.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast