Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Anyone else sink way too much money in Fox body?

Any one else sink way too much money in a Fox body Mustang? I just need to vent.

I've got a super nice 86 GT convertible for sale. No interest even st $7000. I hate to say it, but I have twice that invested and I did all the work except for paint.

I guess It's my fault for getting carried away. The car was cheap to buy unlike classic muscle cars, the parts are cheap but do add up if you don't watch it.

Seems the only Fox body worth anything is a Cobra or a low mileage stocker.
    2000 Explorer engine with Edelbrock intake, Holley 600, TCI AOD, 3.73 gears, Max Mtr sport roll bar, subframe connectors, and rear control arms. /I]

First, sorry to hear you want to sell your GT.

Yes, I would say that many if not most of us have invested more into our Foxes then they will ever be worth. For most of us it's a labor of love, and it keeps us out of bars and chasing women!

Unfortunately as of late, the convertibles just don't seem to bring the $$ when selling. Not sure why, but yours is not the first that I have heard of or seen. The coupes, hatchbacks, T-tops, and Sunroof cars seem to fair better right now compared to the verts. I have never been a convertible guy, so not something that I generally search for, but I have noticed they do seem to be bargains lately.

Spring is here and summer is on the way, maybe the Universe is trying to tell you to enjoy the car a bit longer.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I haven't kept track of how much I've got in my Zeph. I really don't want to know how much. It's a lot though. I wasted a LOT of money on trial and error and going too cheap on things and finding them inadequate.

Luckily though, I don't have a need to sell it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Bwahahahahaahah!
    I'm into my Z7 for about ....15 years? When did I join 4EP? And well over 10K. And I don't even have an engine or a proper place to work on it.

It's a hobby, I enjoy it, and for an average under $100 a month it keeps me out of more expensive trouble. Just imagine how screwed I'll be when I finally put it on the road. :P

Dont get me wrong, I have had fun building and driving the car, I just realized there is not much of a market for nice completed fox cars.

I think most people get into Fox bodies because they are affordable and fun to build. (Just like me).

I first built it to go fast with the modified engine and supercharger. Then I built a 62 Falcon Gasser with a 347 and the supercharger to satisfy my need for speed. Now I am considering making the Mustang more of a stock cruiser by putting in an Explorer 5.0 engine I've found. Also quieter mufflers and fuel pump would help make it more enjoyable.
    2000 Explorer engine with Edelbrock intake, Holley 600, TCI AOD, 3.73 gears, Max Mtr sport roll bar, subframe connectors, and rear control arms. /I]

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    Bwahahahahaahah!
    I'm into my Z7 for about ....15 years? When did I join 4EP? And well over 10K. And I don't even have an engine or a proper place to work on it.

It's a hobby, I enjoy it, and for an average under $100 a month it keeps me out of more expensive trouble. Just imagine how screwed I'll be when I finally put it on the road. :P

One of my problems is when I get a car built, I start looking for another project. I can't afford to collect too many cars so I usually sell one to go to the next.

I completely agree with these guys. If you're not spending more to build them than they're worth, you're doing something wrong lol!

On the issue of verts, I'll admit I was never a fan. I owned one back in the mid 90's and drove it for maybe a year without ever putting the top down. One day during the summer, me and a buddy were on our way somewhere. He suggested putting the top down. I didn't really see a reason, but he kept pushing it so down it went. I had a blast driving that thing around the rest of the summer.

So I would bet that a lot more folks want a vert than we think... they just don't know it yet! Put the top down and take them for a drive on a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncojunkie View Post
    I completely agree with these guys. If you're not spending more to build them than they're worth, you're doing something wrong lol!

On the issue of verts, I'll admit I was never a fan. I owned one back in the mid 90's and drove it for maybe a year without ever putting the top down. One day during the summer, me and a buddy were on our way somewhere. He suggested putting the top down. I didn't really see a reason, but he kept pushing it so down it went. I had a blast driving that thing around the rest of the summer.

So I would bet that a lot more folks want a vert than we think... they just don't know it yet! Put the top down and take them for a drive on a nice day.
    I agree, I love verts I put the top down in spring and then only drive when there is no rain forecast for the day. The top goes back up in fall for storage. I also have more money into it than I could sell it for, but like most members on FEP I feel it is worth it.
    Last edited by Dave9052; 04-10-2019 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave9052 View Post
    I agree, I love verts I put the top down in spring and then only drive when there is no rain forecast for the day. The top goes back up in fall for storage. I also have more money into it than I could sell it for, but like most members on FEP I feel it is worth it.
    I have been driving mine this year with the top up. It's pretty hot in Texas to put the top down during the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezerstang View Post
    One of my problems is when I get a car built...
    You've FINISHED cars before? I'm sorry I'm not familiar with that concept.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

So those who have followed my 85 clone thread know a lot of details about going in WAY too deep on a car for what its worth. Oh well -- it will be like new once its back together.

I'm figuring these cars will eventually appreciate in value to a level where you can get out of them what you have in them or somewhere close. Or at least have gotten enough enjoyment by the time you sell to make up the difference.

I have no intention of keeping my 85 long-term but it may take a while to get that much enjoyment out of it. Lols.

I have been kinda in the market for a nice 85/86 GT vert for a couple years now. Not actively searching or needing but looking/browsing from time to time. Checked out a couple over the years that seem nice in ads and they are always a let down and the owners are oblivious to the problems/issues I and my father find with the cars for sale. After all is said and done the car is NEVER what is as described and they are NEVER willing to work on the price. They will just find another sucker to overpay for the car.

I am into not modified and original looking. Manual trans is a must. Dont want a white interior or top.

Peoples ideas/views of super nice are not the same.

I suffer from spending way to much on my own four eye (87tudorcv) and know I will never see anywhere near what I have into it if I would even try to sell it. That is okay though as I built it for me.

If one builds a car and intends to sell it in the future I believe you have to be really conservative in what you do. It pretty much should stay stock looking. Body painted moldings are unwanted by some and so are auto transmissions. Interior modifications can be an issue to. People buying the car would like to decide what to do with it and not have it decided upon by a previous owners.

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    I have been kinda in the market for a nice 85/86 GT vert for a couple years now. Not actively searching or needing but looking/browsing from time to time. Checked out a couple over the years that seem nice in ads and they are always a let down and the owners are oblivious to the problems/issues I and my father find with the cars for sale. After all is said and done the car is NEVER what is as described and they are NEVER willing to work on the price. They will just find another sucker to overpay for the car.

I am into not modified and original looking. Manual trans is a must. Dont want a white interior or top.

Peoples ideas/views of super nice are not the same.

I suffer from spending way to much on my own four eye (87tudorcv) and know I will never see anywhere near what I have into it if I would even try to sell it. That is okay though as I built it for me.

If one builds a car and intends to sell it in the future I believe you have to be really conservative in what you do. It pretty much should stay stock looking. Body painted moldings are unwanted by some and so are auto transmissions. Interior modifications can be an issue to. People buying the car would like to decide what to do with it and not have it decided upon by a previous owners.
    Well, I can see this isn't the car for you! 😀 I built it the way I wanted and realize that everyone's ideas are different.

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    So those who have followed my 85 clone thread know a lot of details about going in WAY too deep on a car for what its worth. Oh well -- it will be like new once its back together.

I'm figuring these cars will eventually appreciate in value to a level where you can get out of them what you have in them or somewhere close. Or at least have gotten enough enjoyment by the time you sell to make up the difference.

I probably won't
    I have no intention of keeping my 85 long-term but it may take a while to get that much enjoyment out of it. Lols.
    I don't think I will live long enough to see Fox Mustangs appreciate. Maybe my kids will.

Clean Foxes are getting harder to find. I kick myself in the teeth to this day for selling my 86SSP notch 10 years ago. Sand beige interior, zero rust and zero options. Only downfall was an automatic trans.

In the next few years, I think prices will continue to climb as nice examples become more scarce.

I'd be surprised if I spent 3k on my 86 since I've had it (bought it for 3500 in 2001), however a paint job will soon change that.
    Jeremiah

1986 Mustang GT 5spd, 3.27's
    PimpXS ECU/Android Single DIN Touchscreen
    SN95 Cobra Brakes/SN95 Front LCA's/Axles/S197 Wheels
    1998 Explorer Engine/Stock HO Cam 281rwhp/326rwtq

I have spent well over 15000, still have not have had it painted. Will i continue to spend money, yes it's more about the journey.

Quote Originally Posted by dtmilsap View Post
    I have spent well over 15000, still have not have had it painted. Will i continue to spend money, yes it's more about the journey.

Yes, it's about the journey. I'm just at a crossroads. What to do? How about a Coyote swap? That would be a fun money pit!

I think the better question would be is there anybody on this site who didn't sink way too much money into their fox body. Isn't that what you're supposed to do?

I'll add my tale to the growing list. I kept track of everything I spent on my car over the last 13 years. I have more than $7k in the motor and over $20k in the entire car. If I were to want to sell it I think I'd have trouble getting $3k for it. Good think I don't intend to ever sell it.

But I was able to bracket race it almost weekly for 7 years during which I had more fun than should be legally allowed and now it's retired to street cruising where I still enjoy it, so in my opinion it was all money well spent.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Quote Originally Posted by mmb617 View Post
    I think the better question would be is there anybody on this site who didn't sink way too much money into their fox body.
    That would be me.

My 2.3 85 notch I bought for $1350 in 2009. I maybe have $3500 in it since then, still mostly stock the most I spent on it was supplies for paint (did that twice).

My 88 5.0 vert I bought in 2002 for $5000. Again mostly stock, a paint job and 2 tops I might have somewhere in the $5000-6000 range keeping it running.

Of course both my Foxes have the drive train they left the factory with so big cost for engine or trans. And if/when I do a 5.0 swap in the 85 I'm sure I'll bargain hunt the crap out of it.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Quote Originally Posted by mmb617 View Post
    I think the better question would be is there anybody on this site who didn't sink way too much money into their fox body. Isn't that what you're supposed to do?

I'll add my tale to the growing list. I kept track of everything I spent on my car over the last 13 years. I have more than $7k in the motor and over $20k in the entire car. If I were to want to sell it I think I'd have trouble getting $3k for it. Good think I don't intend to ever sell it.

But I was able to bracket race it almost weekly for 7 years during which I had more fun than should be legally allowed and now it's retired to street cruising where I still enjoy it, so in my opinion it was all money well spent.
    I drag raced my vert some but found out about nostalgic Gasser races and decided to race a 62 Falcon. It has been great fun but has distracted me from the Mustang. Thinking about putting a stock Explorer engine in and making it a cruiser.

I have more than 30 K invested in mine. but I built it to drive & enjoy it and no plans on ever selling it. My youngest son told me I can never sell the car even though he has a 1990 gt because it was a father son project. I can drive it to cruise ins and car shows and win with it so I am completely happy with my fox. It is a labor of love. The only thing I have left to do to it this spring is to install my new carlite quarter window glass I bought ,then all glass is new, just not looking forward to tearing out the interior again. I think any car you restore any more you will have more money in it than someone wants to pay for it.
    1967 mustang coupe -sold
    1967 cougar GT - sold
    1984 Mustang L 5.0L - Totaled
    1984 Mustang GT 5.0L
    2007 Mustang GT convertible ( wifes car)
    1997 F-350 powerstroke
    USMC Retired 1981-2001

Yeah...FINISHING the car is the most expensive part. I finished my 300ZX and bought the 280Z. Finished the 280Z and bought the Zephyr AND a 1965 Volvo 122, both of which are unfinished. There are a few more in there, and some other people's cars, but it's about the project for me.
    On the other end of the spectrum, I bought a 275k mile F150 in Waco Texas back in 2004; I'm still running it and I've put maybe 5000 bucks in it and it's now closer to 385K miles. It's a working truck and looks like one. The most expensive thing I put on it was the plow.
    And the 1986 LTD Crown Victoria that is my new daily; it's going in the middle with new door seals and a light refresh of the body and mechanicals, but I'm MAYBE going to put $2000 in it between now and 2020 (brakes, tires, suspension, tune and fluids, door seals, re-key locks to match F150...)
    That one has 75K original miles so it doesn't need as much.

I’ve probably got more in to my car than I could sell it for, but that’s not the point, it’s a hobby.
    I’ve enjoyed owning and working on the car for 17 years.
    I have friends who probably spend $5k a year on golf and they don’t expect to get any of that back.

I still don’t understand what’s holding the value of these cars back.
    I remember my dad’s friend paying $40k for a ‘70 Chevelle in the early 2000’s when that car was just over 30 years old and you could restore them for that money.
    Almost 20 years later my mustang is older than that but not worth anything close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AldeanFan View Post
    I have friends who probably spend $5k a year on golf and they don’t expect to get any of that back.
    VERY good point! It is certainly a past time as much as anything.

I should add that I have not had mine painted yet either, although I did spend some of the money on supplies to shine up my paint.

And, I should add, if we're being honest, when I first started I was tempted by a fellow enthusiast telling me he had been offered $12K for a similar project. But I've long since passed that mark and my attitude about it has changed dramatically. Phase 3 is no longer "profit".
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

FEP Senior Member

I have two different Foxes. One was a $700 notchback that is my forever car. I don't plan to sell it, and if I did don't expect to break even or profit. It's my experiment that I tinker with and build to my taste. If someone one with the money and interest wanted it bad enough, I'd let it go. Until then it just keeps me out of trouble and gives me something to enjoy working on. My 2nd one is a $500 '86 hatchback that was pulled from a field. I'm just restoring it a little bit, and do plan to sell it eventually. I'm watching every dollar spent on it (minus the labor). The plan is to break even or make a little bit of money on it. I am not changing anything drastically to my taste. I'm keeping it pretty generic and bland so that someone can build it to their taste.