Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

The wagons are very popular with the racers. Fairmont, LTD, Zephyr....

I’ve got way more into my foxes than they’re ever going to be worth. Traded a messed up but mechanically sound 86 gt (5 spd and good original seats) and $800 for an all original 84 LTD LX that is currently still on jackstands ( going on year 2 of it being that way). It’s definitely a labor of love and a losing investment. It’s the smile it brings to my face to hear the old doors clunk shut and rumble down that road that makes it worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1984 LTD LX, 160k mile Explorer 5.0, Comp XE264HR-14 cam, Alex’s Parts springs on stock GT40 3 bar heads, Unported Explorer intake, 1 5/8 shorty headers, off-road H-Pipe, Spintech 9000 mufflers, Holley Terminator X Max, J-Mod 4R70W, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Tubular front and rear control arms, front coilovers, Turbocoupe rear coil springs

I keep track of mods/maintenance that I do, but not the money. I did that on the very first car I owned and seeing the total $$ spent actually kept me from doing the same type of thing to all my subsequent vehicles until recently. I mean, the maintenance is a given, but the mods i had to justify to myself; like putting the explorer crate engine in my '78 F150. The original engine was toast, so it had to be done and I didn't mind a step up in performance. Same with the Fairmont. I had a problem with the 3.3 so I replaced it with a 5.0. I've currently got the Fairmont, LTD wagon and a '89 Mustang, but I'm not tracking the $$. It would make me ill, lol. I try to do all the performance mods on a budget, but I don't mind working on them and driving them makes me smile.

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I would say that many if not most of us have invested more into our Foxes then they will ever be worth.
    Trey,

An "Investment" is an "Expenditure" that has expectation of a positive monetary return.

What most folks have when building, restoring or working on an old vehicle is NOT an "Investment but an "EXPENDITURE as they have LITTLE OR NO expectation of a positive return.

With an "Expenditure" your ONLY concern is how much "Moohlah" am I going to LOSE!

Welcome to the world of ownership of Old AND New vehicles!
    Last edited by vintageracer; 11-28-2019 at 12:04 PM.
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

Hobby spending, collections, no matter what kind, can get out of hand. Lionel trains, Hot Wheels, good examples.
    Can get in so deep, one day gets to the point of overwhelm and sort of dampen the original enthusiasm.
    Have seen overkill estate collections of ceramics, jewelry, art, bric a brac, that will never resell or recope price paid.
    Could open a store. Not knowing when to quit or cannot.

Mid 90's -mid 2000's, spent 100's of dollars too much for computers and upgrades till i got wise what was going on.
    Larger hard drives, more memory, faster machines, updating software. A good learning experience in many ways.
    As of 10 years ago, no more of that jazz or paying full retail price just to keep 'up to current speed' or go faster for whatever reason.

Same can be applied to cars. Too many mods can erase the 'pleasure of the hunt' or the enjoyment of the ride to get there.
    Like over seasoning or accidentally overcooking good food.
    Like the big backyard pool the served its purpose for only a few years then becomes a burden.

Here The Mustang and Ranger here are stock daily drivers. They get what they need when possible.
    For durability, correction of design flaws, improve efficiency, added enjoyment, comfort, looks.
    Have mods like different seats, added gauges, radios, accessories, shifters. powertrain parts.
    All money spent on them is cost of ownership. Changes due to personal needs or wants.
    Nothing is done that cannot be reversed to bone stock configuration, nor are they far from that.

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Like the big backyard pool the served its purpose for only a few years then becomes a burden.
    I had to laugh when I read that as I am very familiar with that story. It's even worse when you build a big expensive deck around the pool because then it's real hard to justify ripping it out even though you pretty much never use it.

At least with the car I knew all along that I would never recover the money I poured into it. I made it what I wanted it to be without regard to any future return on investment. So what if it isn't worth much of anything to anybody else? I had a blast racing it for 7 years and still enjoy cruising town from time to time and that's all the return I need.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

The value of your Fox Mustang has no relation to it's potential selling price. The first thing they teach car salesmen is that every purchase is based on emotion. Whether it fills a want for performance (GT-350) or reliability (new generic sedan) or recreation (RV/tow vehicle for boat) soccer mom (minivan) etc. They all bought out of an emotion.
    The real horror stories are people who buy new luxury cars (fill in the blank they all suck) and loose $40,000 in depreciation in just a couple of years.

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

I don't look at my Cobra as an investment. I look at it as a fun hobby and no matter which hobby you have, you're going to spend money to make yourself happy. Into boats? Yup, you're going to buy the boat, trailer, life jackets, water skis, tubes for tubing, etc..... And, when you sell it, you'll get half of your money back. Into golfing? Yup, you'll be buying the clubs, balls, bags, shoes, etc... and when you're done you have to give the stuff away. Guns? Yup, same thing. You can never look at a hobby as an investment. Only fools do that!

With that being said, I'm into my Cobra for $35K over the past 20 years of ownership. That includes buying it and rebuilding it from the ground up. Everything was brand new or rebuilt. Suspension, brakes, engine, transmission, rearend, cooling system, ignition system, paint/bodywork, etc..... It took me four years, to build it but it's been worth every single penny. Over the past 16 seasons of driving it, I can't explain how much joy this car has brought me. It's made me new friends, garnered a couple of magazine articles, been in a few calendars, and has won me close to 20 trophies. During the nice weather, I'll daily drive it! Whether it's to work and back home, to the store, to the cruise nights or car shows, or even to the race track to drag it. Again, I don't put a price on my hobby and it's the fun that I'm after.

Will I be able to sell it for what I've "got into it?" Not a chance in hell! But then again, I never plan to sell it and I hope to be doing smokey burnouts at the track for another 20 years.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

My 85. Yes. Don't know how much I've spent on it over the years. I never plan on getting rid of it so I don't care.

I'm overseas again and will be for a few more years. I bought a 88 LX coupe 5.0 AOD to fiddle with. Car is quite rare in the UK and I bought it because everyone else that wanted it did so because they wanted to race it or strip the car for the drivetrain. More or less the owner sold it to me because I was going to restore it and nor race or strip it. I did need a lot of work because of rust. New roof, drivers door, two patch panels and still needs a quarter panel. Going to be a full rotisserie style restoration. It would be in paint by now but I've been waiting for my quarter panel coming from the states for four months and it's not going to get here until January. I bought an electroplating kit and have been restoring every nut, bolt and piece of hardware that I can. It will be over restored but with some tasteful modifications. Keeps me busy.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

My 85. Yes. Don't know how much I've spent on it over the years. I never plan on getting rid of it so I don't care.

I'm overseas again and will be for a few more years. I bought a 88 LX coupe 5.0 AOD to fiddle with. Car is quite rare in the UK and I bought it because everyone else that wanted it did so because they wanted to race it or strip the car for the drivetrain. More or less the owner sold it to me because I was going to restore it and nor race or strip it. I did need a lot of work because of rust. New roof, drivers door, two patch panels and still needs a quarter panel. Going to be a full rotisserie style restoration. It would be in paint by now but I've been waiting for my quarter panel coming from the states for four months and it's not going to get here until January. I bought an electroplating kit and have been restoring every nut, bolt and piece of hardware that I can. It will be over restored but with some tasteful modifications. Keeps me busy.

Name:  IMG_4916.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  248.0 KB

Name:  IMG_5448.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  295.9 KB
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

I've spent WAY more than I could even dream of getting out of it. Doesn't really matter though as I'll probably never part ways with it. I don't know the actual amount spent as it would probably make me have a stroke...but I've spent over 15k this year alone. I've never worried about putting more money into than what it's worth, my goal has always been to make it what I want..not what I think I can sell it for.
    86 GT 363 w/80mm turbo-currently under construction
    19 F-150 Lariat Supercrew-DD

Not really. FAR MORE time than money.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

I am the king of spending way too much money on cars than I should. I know all about things adding up before you know it.

Trying not to spend too much money on my 85 since I am in the middle of building an LS swapped GMC Sonoma and also have a 69 Chevy C10 I am slowly working on restoring.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123