Close

Default Holley Sniper EFI Fuel Pump Install - 83 GT

Working through installing a Sniper EFI system into my 83 GT. I bought a Master system which includes the in-line fuel pump.

Instructions say to install the pump lower than the fuel tank and as close to the fuel tank as possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions or examples of good places to mount the inline fuel pump? Was curious what other people have done.

Thanks!

im thinking about one of these kits as well..

Most installs I have seen the pump is mounted to the back side of the metal rear bumper. Nothing says it can't go back first, then forward. My first thought is that sounds like a bad idea in case of a rear end collision but I've seen many, many installed that way. If you think about it, the OEM EFI cars fuel pump is only a couple inches further forward inside the tank. All of the aftermarket sump type fuel systems I have seen are all located in the rear of the tank as well so I guess it's not really a big deal.

Not that it answers your question in regards to your current fuel pump, but my plan with the Sniper setup is to install an in tank pump like the OEM fuel injection when I do mine. Just seems easier and cleaner install IMHO. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

New User

I'm also debating on the inline pump vs buying a 86 efi fuel tank setup.

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    Most installs I have seen the pump is mounted to the back side of the metal rear bumper. Nothing says it can't go back first, then forward. My first thought is that sounds like a bad idea in case of a rear end collision but I've seen many, many installed that way. If you think about it, the OEM EFI cars fuel pump is only a couple inches further forward inside the tank. All of the aftermarket sump type fuel systems I have seen are all located in the rear of the tank as well so I guess it's not really a big deal.
    I was thinking back there or perhaps in the front of the fuel tank cover. I'll make a decision sometime this week and go for it. Thanks for the feedback I'll post some pictures when I'm done.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

New User

I'm super curious to see your results! Are you using the carb sending unit?

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac509 View Post
    I'm super curious to see your results! Are you using the carb sending unit?
    I am. I have a build thread in the online car show and tell with pictures if you are interested.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

So here are some pictures of the route I'm going with the pump and filters. Seems solid and is about as close to and as low, relative to the tank, as you can go.
    Name:  Pump1.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  55.9 KB
    Name:  Pump2.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  64.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Not that it answers your question in regards to your current fuel pump, but my plan with the Sniper setup is to install an in tank pump like the OEM fuel injection when I do mine. Just seems easier and cleaner install IMHO. Good Luck!
    That's precisely what I did and why I did it on my 84 when I went FAST EFI.
    It just looks clean and the hardest part was adding the stand alone fuel pump relay and inertia switch into the wiring.

Easy breezy and can't tell there is anything there, plus it is as well protected as it can be.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Joergermeister View Post
    So here are some pictures of the route I'm going with the pump and filters. Seems solid and is about as close to and as low, relative to the tank, as you can go.
    Name:  Pump2.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  64.1 KB
    I honestly do not know if I would be comfortable with mounting the pump there.
    Being on the front side of the tank leaves it and the hose fairly exposed to getting hit by some kicked up road debris.

At a minimum, if you leave it there, I would fabricate some shielding to prevent it from getting hit and potentially causing all your hard work from going up in flames.
    Brock

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    That is mostly what I have seen also. If you wire the pump into an inertia switch, it at least lessens the chances of a catastrophe in the event of a rear end collision.
    Brock

Points taken. I'll need to do some more thinking on it.