Close

Default Turning on the A/C kills the engine - 1985 GT T5

I have a 1985 Mustang GT with a new feature - when I turn on the AC it instantly kills the ignition. I disconnected the AC clutch and tried it again with no change. The engine wiring harness is not hacked up - I have reviewed the wiring harness diagram and can't really see anything which could cause such a feature (as we call it in the software world). Anyone have any ideas???

F2F

When you say it kills the ignition, do you mean that the power to the ignition circuit goes dead? Or do you mean the engine dies and has to be restarted?

If it kills the ignition, the car will not start or run with the A/C in the "On" position? You switch the A/C "Off" and the car will start up and run?
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Yes, basically whenever the air conditioning was receiving power, the engine would die. I have since been able to resolve the problem by addressing the connector which is just below the ignition module. It had several wires which were touching. Unfortunately the green wires seem to not have the greatest insulation. Thanks for your willing this to help.

Did you ever resolve this? I am having the same issue right now.

Thanks,
    Matt
    1986 Ford Mustang GT (5.0, 5spd) [current]
    2007 Mustang (v6, 5spd) [past]
    1989 Mustang Lx (4cylinder converted to 5.0, 5spd) [past]

Just in case anyone else has a similar issue, i found a loose wire in one of the connectors that are found behind the information module above the cigarette lighter. As soon as i fixed the connection no more issue.
    1986 Ford Mustang GT (5.0, 5spd) [current]
    2007 Mustang (v6, 5spd) [past]
    1989 Mustang Lx (4cylinder converted to 5.0, 5spd) [past]

Quote Originally Posted by mt541 View Post
    Did you ever resolve this? I am having the same issue right now.

Thanks,
    Matt
    Yes I did - after unwrapping the black tape the connector which the engine harness plugs into had 2 wires which were exposed and touching. I re-wrapped them and all is well now.