Close

Thread: Wiring help

Default Wiring help

I just bought a 1980 2.3 turbo mustang that was in the midst of a 5.0 mass air efi swap. Seller has left me a list of what is left to do, ive attached the lists to this post. But i would like a complete description of what i need to make it work just so i can double check everything is correctly done. Also what would i need as far as all wiring goes if i wanted to run a stand alone ecu such as megasquirt and keep the dash original. Thank you for your help, this is my first mustang and project car.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

FEP Supporter

One thought that comes to mind is that if this car is going to go dual exhaust, be sure that the rear center brake line is swapped over to a center mount set up. If not, and the line comes down to the rear end on the passenger side, you run the risk of burning it on the passenger side tailpipe.

As far as the gauges go, the factory tach may pose a problem if it is a non adjustable 4 banger one. If you search the site for topics about making a 4 cylinder tach work with a V8 you'll learn the details. Some tachs will work and some won't. Getting a V8 tach shouldn't be that hard if needed.

I don't believe any of the other gauges will be a problem so long as you are using the correct sending units for temp and oil pressure. Unless the harness is really hacked up everything should still be wired up to work including the amp gauge. (BTW, there is a recent thread about swapping/converting the AMP gauge to a VOLT gauge if interested.) I'm not 100% sure but I don't think you'll have an issue with the fuel tank level sending unit either. I mention that because I'd guess that the tank has been swapped to a later efi style unit.

Welcome to the site! How about posting up some pics of the car?
    '85 GT

Thats what im mainly worried about, is the seller may have butchered things and maybe thats why he didnt want to complete the car. He said he installed an 86 body harness and converted it to maf but anyways here are some pics of my car. Its not much right now but ima get it to where it needs to be. Name:  C3C49DFA-DE5B-4027-BBF8-4574F8A4E656.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  77.3 KBName:  6B4E77E5-7F83-4111-A1B8-2C086CE12462.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  81.4 KBName:  F8944CAF-FD94-4082-A66E-C0E00B171CAB.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  129.9 KB

With all sincerity I wish you the best of luck. A project like this can be complicated enough to begin with, but taking over a half finished project may be even more difficult. If this is your first Mustang AND Project car, then you are truly a bit off your rocker. So . . . You will probably fit in well around here.

Hopefully the P.O. did use an 86 5.0 wiring harness as that will make things a bit easier than converting the 87-93 to work with the 79-86 dash. Hopefully the owner also used the correct fuel tank sending unit, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't. If your fuel tank ends up reading the opposite of what it really is, then they used the 87-93 sending unit and you will have to swap that out. Not a huge deal until you are ready to drive, but keep it in the back of your mind.

Before you really jump in, I would recommend reading all the post, information, etc. you can find not only here on FEP, but many of the other Fox Mustang Forums and sites that deal with this type of swap. That will help get you a basic knowledge of what is involved and what you will need to look for as you move forward on the project. We can start giving you a list of things to think about, do, consider, etc., but I would still recommend getting acclimated to the whole process my doing your research. That will help you to ask better questions and have a better understand of the answers and advice.

Good Luck and I am sure the great group of Fox Owners we have here on FEP will be able to help you get this all sorted out.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Yea i know im way out my element right now with this project but i gotta start somewhere haha. I would definitely appreciate a list of things to consider or do and ill be searching forums and reading books myself for all the info i need. Thank you guys again for the tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuitasi32 View Post
    Yea i know im way out my element right now with this project but i gotta start somewhere haha. I would definitely appreciate a list of things to consider or do and ill be searching forums and reading books myself for all the info i need. Thank you guys again for the tips.
    The first tip would be just to read any threads, articles, etc. about doing the swap. That will give you a basic idea of the process and what is involved. That alone will help to answer many of your initial questions on what to check and what to look for. Here is one to start with.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-gonna-have-to
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Afaik 4 cyl front springs are much lighter duty than V8. Those are dangerous as heck to take out and put in. I would buy the specific tool Ford used as a generic spring compressor is the wrong darn tool for the job. Way wrong and hazardous to try to use - speaking from experience on this

Lots of go needs a lot more woe. Upgrade your brakes. It may save your life, on mine it sure did and I was only going down the interstate at the time.

The only bigger joke on a good running V8 powered four eyed fox than the 85 mph speedometer is the brakes.

My 86GT with T5Z and 2.73’s buries the old 85 mph gauge and then some in 2nd gear...... and it doesn’t stop pulling in the other 3 until I take my foot out of it. Been on gps at 163 in 4th before the intake swap.... threw it into 5th when it was running 5800 rpm in 4th, took it up to 177 on GPS before I took my foot out of it.

A BBK 170 mph speedometer or a FMS 140 is a nice addition while working on the cluster.

The first time I wound mine up and every time there after it sure as heck didn’t want to stop.

Like the old cartoons. Woe woe woe you stupid horse woe. Aw come on, woe

When I say woe, I mean woe
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by erratic50; 04-08-2019 at 08:13 PM.