Close

Default Manual brake pedal vs. Power assist pedal. 1983

I've been reading and it seems as though the pivot points for a manual brake pedal and power brake pedal are different. Does anyone have a picture distinguishing the two? I'm wanting to convert my 83 over to manual brakes, but would like to use factory parts if possible, but I've never seen a non power brake pedal in the wild.

I have never seen a Four Eyed fox with factory manual brakes.

Maximum Motorsports has a kit for the conversion.

Rock auto sells a manual master cylinder with the pedal rod, so I assume it was an option for the older cars? But in another thread, someone said the pivot point on the pedal itself was different, so I don't know?

I would think I could relocate the pin up higher on the pedal for more leverage and I assume this is the difference between the two? I've seen early Fairmonts with manual brakes, so I'd think they'd work with mustang's as long as the master cylinder bolt pattern is the same.

With the manual brake pedal, you move the pivot bolt in the pedal box up to upper set of holes. If you can find a manual pedal, it will have a pushrod pin to pivot bolt distance of 1.875". You are also going to have to find the firewall block to mount the m/c. 95% of the aftermarket ones available are built incorrectly. Then you are going to have to make some new brake lines to go from the m/c to the combination valve.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

YEARS ago I had a 1980 Capri with manual brakes, and manual steering. Was a 2.3/4 spd car. Never realized how unique it was until years later. Unfortunately it died via an engine fire thanks to an engine oil leak and a stupid brother-in-law.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hidley View Post
    With the manual brake pedal, you move the pivot bolt in the pedal box up to upper set of holes. If you can find a manual pedal, it will have a pushrod pin to pivot bolt distance of 1.875". You are also going to have to find the firewall block to mount the m/c. 95% of the aftermarket ones available are built incorrectly. Then you are going to have to make some new brake lines to go from the m/c to the combination valve.
    Thank you Jack. That is awesome information and I really appreciate it.