Close

Default fender mounted starter solonoid ?

how much output can it hold on the positive side i have a msd box and electric fans installed at the positive terminal im now looking at installing a mini toque starter wich has a positive wire hookup at the teminal also ...is that too much

FEP Power Member

Ford went to a mini starter later on. My 92 had it. I think it started in 91. You should be fine as they added another wire too.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

that i know ... but its the solenoid that has me worried on the positive(live) side how many hookups can it hold i have a msd ..electric fans and one other wire hooked and pluged on that side, is that too many..?

With clean connections, it should handle a ton (250 amps+). At that point it is just a post and has nothing to do with the solenoid's operation itself. If you have the desire, you can make a 90 degree bracket and use a bulkhead fitting instead.

Kenny

thank you

FEP Power Member

Verts added a relay as well. It gets pretty crowded. Flip the ring terminals over so they can butt up on each other. The other option is to add a fuse block like they do for the 3g alternator upgrade.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

My crown Vic had a small metal bracket with two holes that attached to the solinoid. There were two of them on there.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

I had all that, and an electric fuel pimp, wired to mine in the '83 and it never complained.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Personally I would dead short the heavy cable to the start cranking signal on the mini starter and make it so any time there is power at the output side of the fender mounted solenoid the starter runs. I’d make a metal bracket that bolts on the two leads under the heavy current supply lead

Makes the mini act exactly like the old fender mount + starter solenoid setup.

there is a limit to the amount of current you can get from the start signal that comes from the ignition switch. Do it the way I’m suggesting or Once it’s reached one or the other solenoid won’t trigger and the car won’t start

Id do that rather than eliminating the fender solenoid because having in-fused always 12+ cables down by the exhaust is hazardous and can lead to bad situations. Also it’s a lot harder to work on otherwise. Anyone who’s worked on a GM and has had stuff go wrong appreciates what I mean

Good luck