Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Since I have been busy dealing with the G-Force rebuild then then TKX swap I hadn't made time to adjust my valves (solid roller cam) but I knew I had one valve that was getting slightly louder than the rest. Solid roller cams/lifters and full roller rockers tend to make a bit of a racket but one didn't sound right so.....after getting back from the Bring A Trailer Alumni Car show I pulled the valve covers off, pulled the rocker arm girdles off and started going through the valves...I use the base circle method...I was almost done with the RH side head when I noticed a shiny spot on the rocker arm....

[IMG][IMG][IMG]

Fortunately I caught this impending doom early enough so the rocker arm didn't fully grenade and fortunately the rocker arm girdle held it in place...subsequently a new set of Scorpion rocker arms has been purchased and installed, just waiting on a adjuster set from Jomar to replace the boogered adjuster bolt. Oil and both filters are getting changed as well as replacing all the oil lines...upgrading to -10 line from the -8 that came with the Amsoil dual bypass filter kit...

This sh*t is getting expensive!

A few pics of the fabricated crossmember...TKX had trans mount pad farther back than on a T5 plus early Fox has narrower body mounts.
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    Relocated wide band 02 sensor to vertical position

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Do you ever Road-Race this Capri, Mer331? Its sad seeing references to MM&FF since this magazine has since folded.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Knebworth View Post
    Do you ever Road-Race this Capri, Mer331? Its sad seeing references to MM&FF since this magazine has since folded.
    I started off doing track days then got hooked on wanting to run the Silver State Classic/Nevada Open Road Challenge after we built a 96 Mustang Cobra to compete in the race. That plan got scrapped so I ended up running SCCA Time Trials events, much cheaper, safer and honestly, I should have built a dime a dozen Mustang for the American Iron Series instead. Too risky to go door to door racing with a Capri!! Now the mission has been to make this car more "driveable" for road trips, car shows etc but still be able to do the occasional track day...

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Merc331 View Post
    I started off doing track days then got hooked on wanting to run the Silver State Classic/Nevada Open Road Challenge after we built a 96 Mustang Cobra to compete in the race. That plan got scrapped so I ended up running SCCA Time Trials events, much cheaper, safer and honestly, I should have built a dime a dozen Mustang for the American Iron Series instead. Too risky to go door to door racing with a Capri!! Now the mission has been to make this car more "driveable" for road trips, car shows etc but still be able to do the occasional track day...
    That's fantastic! I also like that you went w/the 331. Definitely overshadowed by the 347, but more-stout and will last longer. If I ever do a custom build, 331 for me

https://youtu.be/AsLejbCViTY

Another quick cell phone video of the Capri on a bright sunny day but the soundtrack is oh so good...and the valves are all nice and clacking away in harmony versus one valve constantly yelling for attention! Can't wait to take the Capri up to Whistler B.C. next month...look out Moose!

I remember seeing the capri all those years ago fell in love with it and it made my capri look bad lol
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Major Capri goal achieved!!
    The slow and expensive road to making the Capri road trip worthy again has finally seen the light. Installing the Edelbrock ProFlo-4, Tremec TKX, new rockers, new horns, new wiper switch and putting blades back on, etc. The Capri just completed a flawless 400 mile roundtrip from Washington State up to Whistler, B.C. Canada and back. Fortunately no issues crossing the border (having Nexus helps), no mechanical issues and no speeding tickets!!! But the wife and I were having so much fun that these were the only pictures we took!

The Sea to Sky Highway is so much fun to drive, especially in the Capri and I can't wait to do it again...preferably when fuel isn't $5.29 a gallon and 213.00 per liter...ugh

Remote oil filter line upgrade. Ditched the Amsoil supplied -8 lines and upgraded to -10AN lines and hose...only $20.00 bucks a foot but gained 10psi of oil pressure due to better flowing lines and fittings.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Merc331 View Post
    only $20.00 bucks a foot but gained 10psi of oil pressure due to better flowing lines and fittings.
    I wouldn't have thought that. And yet again this thread (and car) delivers... Never gets old looking at any part of your Capri!
    '85 GT

Been doing a little decluttering around the house and found some cool pics of the Capri when I first bought it...even found the original AutoTrader ad!!
    [IMG][/IMG]

And the color version
    [IMG][/IMG]
    And a few Polaroids from the day I drove it home...33 years ago!
    [IMG][/IMG]

This Capri was my daily driver for many years and then I met Brad from Brad's Custom Auto and we started the evolution from looking fast to being fast!
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    And yeah, I used to drive it in the snow...once it was unburried. I've even taken it skiing...in the spring!
    [IMG][/IMG]

And many years later...when I blew up the 306 V-8...this happened...in preparation for the 331...Many thanks to Brad for letting build this car there when I was employed at the shop.
    [IMG][/IMG]

it appears that the freeimage.host site has **** the bed...kinda of a lame thread without pics!!!

FEP Supporter

That stinks. I love the pix in here.
    '85 GT

and magically they're are back...freeimage must have been doing some maintenance, oh well at least the the pics are back up

https://youtu.be/ntgPyiDhG2o

Too many noisy electric whiny cars in my neighborhood so a little exhaust modification was in order! Need to make a few adjustments but I was itchin to hear it.

FEP Supporter

Diggin' those oval's! Sounds great!
    '85 GT

https://youtube.com/shorts/yeAmiIcz0n8?feature=share

Short video, the wife filmed this from our deck, first blast with side exhaust...holy crap it's loud!!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234