Close

Redneck Riviera, Fort Walton Beach Florida

Default Possible issues with brake component combination....

On this 1986 SSP, I converted to 4-wheel disc brakes, and instead of installing an SN prop valve, booster, and master cylinder like I normally do, on this one I've got an SN booster, gutted prop valve, installed adjustable prop valve, reman'd stock replacement master cylinder, all new soft lines, calipers, pads and so on. I've bled and bled this thing, get a nice steady stream of fluid out each time, but cannot get a firm pedal. Thinking I may need to put an SN master cylinder on it using this kit. https://lmr.com/item/MM-MMBAK17/Must...aster-Cylinder

Any ideas?
    1985 LTD LX, Mach1 brakes, 17" Mopar police car wheels. 302, T5, 4.10s
    1984 LTD station wagon, with 84GT nose, some might remember it as the old Dugan Racing station wagon.
    1986 FHP coupe, stock shortblock, TW heads, Holley SMII intake, 4.88, T5Z
    1990 Red LX, ported AFR heads, TFS-R box upper, weenie cam, 1 3/4 long accufabs, 3" exhaust, T5, 4.56

You need a larger diameter master cyl

1” bore is my personal preference

1973 Torino is a direct fit

M1858 requires one line adapter
    -- James

Favorite thing I’ve said that’s been requoted: “"40 year old beercan on wheels with too much motor"

My four eyed foxes:
    "Trigger" - 86 Mustang GT - Black with red interior. 5.0 T5 built as Z. Original motor ~1/2 million miles. 18 yr daily, 10 a toy
    "Silver" - 85 Mustang Saleen 1985-006? (Lol) Rare 1E silver GT / charcoal interior. The car is a little bit of a mystery. Current project bought as a roller, tons of Saleen / Racecraft pedigree

Also in the stable - my son’s car. 1986 Mustang GT Convertible. Black/Black/Black conversion. 93 leather. VM1 ECU. T5Z

past foxes -
    1989 Mustang LX Sport 5.0 AOD white/tan black top. Once I ran this one down I caught a wife.
    Wife also had a 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe in the 90's.

I'm a four eyed pride supporter, are you? Become one today!
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/payments.php

I though stock was a 1" bore, but just double checked and it's a 21MM, which is a 53/64. RockAuto shows them as 1"
    Last edited by David Claflin; 04-02-2019 at 05:54 AM.
    1984 LTD station wagon, with 84GT nose, some might remember it as the old Dugan Racing station wagon.
    1990 Red LX, ported AFR heads, TFS-R box upper, weenie cam, 1 3/4 long accufabs, 3" exhaust, T5, 4.56

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David Claflin View Post
    I though stock was a 1" bore, but just double checked and it's a 21MM, which is a 53/64. RockAuto shows them as 1"
    Which configuration were you looking at on RA? I'm assuming your SSP is a 5.0L car, right? I'm only finding 21mm for that combo. I'm curious which 1" one you stumbled across; always nice to have options (in case the '73 Torino option falls off the plate).
    '89 GT convertible - not a four-eye
    '82 Zephyr Z7 - future track car

I'm going through this now. Stock replacement brake booster since my understanding is you have to clearance the shock tower on '86 and older for the cobra/sn-95 style booster. '94/'95 gt master cylinder. I dunno if the mounting location for my proportioning valve is messed up but the lines in the kit you linked were way too long for my application. Hoping to have everything buttoned up by the end of week, can provide some feedback at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
    Which configuration were you looking at on RA? I'm assuming your SSP is a 5.0L car, right? I'm only finding 21mm for that combo. I'm curious which 1" one you stumbled across; always nice to have options (in case the '73 Torino option falls off the plate).
    They're all showing .82 or 21MM, even on Oreilly's site too, so I must have fat fingered something along the way. The brakes work, the pedal is just softer than I like.
    My 90LX has a 1" bore, using a 99 V6 MC, and the LTD LX has the MC from a 1994 Cobra, that one is 15/16, but it's also got the Mach1 brakes, I'm very pleased with how both of those work. I apparently just boogered something up while looking for info on the stock master cylinders of these cars. I've got a 99V6 MC on the way from rock auto so will get that on next week sometime when it shows up.

the 2000 v6 master cylinder is a 1" bore. that's the one I used with a fox brake booster on my 66 mustang
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

Quote Originally Posted by snavesa View Post
    I'm going through this now. Stock replacement brake booster since my understanding is you have to clearance the shock tower on '86 and older for the cobra/sn-95 style booster. '94/'95 gt master cylinder. I dunno if the mounting location for my proportioning valve is messed up but the lines in the kit you linked were way too long for my application. Hoping to have everything buttoned up by the end of week, can provide some feedback at that time.
    I saw the other day where a guy drilled a hole right beside the booster mounting hole (inside hole... closest to the middle of the car). Simply open up between the old and new hole...essentially making a slot. This will give you the clearance you need without beating on your shock tower.

You still have to beat the tower on the early cars unfortunately. The later years had more room
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

Yep, I definitely had to slot the hole AND clearance the strut tower.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Do stock master cyl to brake pedal push rods get reused when changing over to something else?
    Like the 2000 V6 m/c or Cobra stuff?
    Plastic tank style shows fluid level and color, bale style no. Interchangable?
    Soft pedal?
    https://techtalk.mpbrakes.com/how-to...r-cylinder-gap

Thanks guys for the posts. Gitting an idea what to change out and what not to.
    Learned facts i did not know:
    Larger m/c bore = less pedal travel & more effort
    Smaller m/c bore = more pedal travel & less effort
    A small difference in size can make a big difference at the pedal.
    Booster size pretty much changes with m/c bore size.

Rock Auto, as usual, provided basic specs like sitting on a stool with the books did. Cardone brand lists bore sizes.
    Found out differences between my 79 Mustang and 93 Ranger, which has a much better overall braking feel to me.
    Same 60mm caliper pistons, 9" drums, same engines.
    Truck weighs more, larger rotors (10.2 vs 9.2), larger m/c bore (1" vs 7/8") and booster (225.3mm vs 222mm).
    Truck has very similar sized parts like the 93 Cobra m/c and huge booster. No bottom m/c port either.

Also found a video that cleared me up on the basics of Ford mc types.
    What i have, whats out there, and what you guys already know.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyBaqmhIAkE
    Last edited by gr79; 04-04-2019 at 12:48 AM. Reason: answered my own questions

The push rod is part of the booster,
    New booster comes with the push rod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by v8only View Post
    You still have to beat the tower on the early cars unfortunately. The later years had more room
    Yeah, this one took some wailing on the back side of the tower to get it right it in to seat good. Have to do the same thing on the dugan wagon later this summer, but at least that thing is stripped. Need to do that before painting the engine bay.

Took longer to get a good test in. Stock booster, 94-95 master cylinder (1" bore). Pedal feel is decent, not as good as I hoped at first but got better as I drove. Its definitely a step in the right direction.

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

I'm going through this now. Stock replacement brake booster since my understanding is you have to clearance the shock tower on '86 and older for the cobra/sn-95 style booster. '94/'95 gt master cylinder.
    Took longer to get a good test in. Stock booster, 94-95 master cylinder (1" bore). Pedal feel is decent, not as good as I hoped at first but got better as I drove. Its definitely a step in the right direction.
    Maybe I'm getting myself confused on the different options, but I thought the '94/95 V6/GT master cylinder was 1-1/16"?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
    Maybe I'm getting myself confused on the different options, but I thought the '94/95 V6/GT master cylinder was 1-1/16"?
    That was my understanding.

1994-95 Cobra 15/16"
    1993 Cobra 1"
    1994-95 GT/V6 1 1/16"
    1984-86 SVO 1 1/8"
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller