Close

Default 82 GT to mod or not to mod

Ok guys here is were I am at. I currently have a clean 82 GT 4 speed car stock other than 4 barrel and exhaust. I also have a 93 4cyl fox pretty much a shell. I had plans to leave the 82 alone and build a bracket car out of 93 ( 351w platform with and auto). However, kinda hate idea of dumping a bunch of money into a car to drive at track only. So i debating tossing the idea of track car. So now I debating building the 82 and maybe just slapping a vortech on the 302 (upgared from 302 later) and throw a tko or tremec into it.

I love the idea of making the 82 a bad ass street car but part of me wants to leave it as unmolested as possible.

So i guess if you had both cars what would you do..

1. Leave 82 alone and build 93 to be a street/strip or strip toy.
    2. Build the 82 to a fun street car and not worry about 93 for now.

What’s your budget and storage situation?
    If I had room and a sufficient budget then I’d have a driver, a track car, and a show car all parked in a climate controlled garage but most people can’t afford all that.
    I have a few friends who try but can’t quite pull it off so they have several mediocre cars parked outside and a garage full of unfinished projects instead of one really nice car in their one car garage.
    Just something to think about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually just bought a house with 2 car garage and when I sell my old house I have plans to build a 2-3 car garage with lift. Money comes and goes cause I have a family and obviously they come before cars. I mean if I do 82 I could do stuff in sections as it runs and drives now, 93 would have to be completely done.

I know how it goes though this is my first house with a garage. Growing up i did everything in my parents driveway, then a bought a house had no garage and an asphalt driveway which sucked big time.

I used to stress about keeping my gt350 all stock. I just decided the engine was so lame there was no way it could be enjoyed stock. Everything besides my engine is stock now, and unhurt in any way. That was my compromise. Now I have a fun car for autocross and it appears untouched unless you start digging in the engine compartment. Even then, you may not notice since I kept the cfi too.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Build the car you will enjoy the most. If you have a family then a street car with a backseat will get a lot more use than a track car.

Don’t forget that almost anything can be undone or put back to stock configuration.

My dad has an ‘83 Convertible that is completely stock and original except for one repaint in the original colour. The problem is the under powered v6.
    I think we’re doing a v8 swap next winter but it will be 100% reversible. I’ll box up the old engine and trans for storage incase we ever decide it needs to be returned to numbers matching restoration level.
    Nothing is permanent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, that back seat is a huge bit for me. I can take the family for ice cream. That goes a long way toward keeping it vs. being a responsible adult. If the family can't enjoy it... Gonna do the drive in this summer too.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Build a nice 300 hp to the wheels engine and have fun cruising it. I did that to my 84 GT350. I kept the body and interior stock and just updated the running gear. I installed the 87-93 11" Front brakes, 8.8" rear with 3.73 gears, and a complete 2 1/2" exhaust with dynomax ultra flow mufflers and shorty 1 58" headers. Then I built a little 306 with a E-cam and ported E-7 heads with a Air Gap intake and 650 Holley D.P. carb. Has a world class T-5 too.
    Anyways this car is my summer daily driver That I commute in 400-500 miles a week. Gets 20 mpg, runs 13.1's at 106 mph on regular radial tires and is a blast to drive for a commuter car. Still looks stock except for the wheels. I can drive it anywhere.
    85 G.T. All motor
    337 c.i.d 11.44-120 mph

1984 1/2 G.T. 350 (13.01-106 mph)

1984 G.T. (Daughters car)

1986 G.T. (Son's car) (12.99-105 mph)

I can tell you from experience that multiple builds generally means that both/all cars end up sitting and never really completed. If you have plenty of funding some of that can be addressed, but the time factor generally still gets all of us.

Track cars are awesome and can be fun on the street, but in my experience only in limited quantity. A dedicated track car often is too much for the weekly cruise night, Sunday drive, etc. So if you spend more time away from the track, then I would recommend more of a street car that occasionally sees track duty.

The other thing to consider in regards to your 82 GT, they are going up in value currently and hopefully will continue. I know most of us believe we will never sell our Foxes, but the truth is many of us do over time. Not saying you can't/shouldn't modify the GT, but you will want to factor that into your thinking. Modifications that can be reversed are no brainers IMHO, improvements such as brakes, T5, mild engine improvements again are easy to reverse and in most cases make the cars much more enjoyable and fun to drive. As long as you don't go wild and crazy you should be just fine with any choices you make.

My plans for my 82 RS are very similar to 306GT's above in simple improvements and power upgrades, but retaining all the stock exterior and interior look. I also plan on keeping the original parts that are removed so that the RS could be returned to original if wanted at a later date. Good Luck and start posting up some pictures of the GT!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I don't look at cars as an investment. Yes they can go up in value over time, but really, you could do much better in the market than holding on to some old car. That said, my family currently has 9 cars (for 3 of us). They run the gamut from plain ol' driver (2008 MKX) to pretty cool (1970 Boss 302) to semi exotic (1971 Pantera). None of these cars are stock, they were modified to provide a more enjoyable ride.

If you love it as is, leave it. If you want more, modify it. The value you would lose over time is nothing compared to your enjoyment over that same timeframe.

You put money in the market to make money, you put money in cars for the love.

Kenny

Well the 82 runs and drives amazing so it's really not a project. I came to the point I realize it's not a super rare car so as long as mods are tasteful I should be ok if I ever do sell. Just gonna have to decide if I want a dedicated track car or a fun Street car and go from there i guess. Thanks for the input guys here's a few pics. Currently restoring interior. It's red now debating a color change but think I might end up just leaving the red.

Wheels came with car not really my style but figured I run them till tires need replaced.

Name:  fr.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  115.4 KB
    Name:  si.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  120.5 KB

Nice looking 82. I think at some point in the 80's we all had a version of those wheels on something. Have fun with it!

Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by jfruauff View Post
    Well the 82 runs and drives amazing so it's really not a project. I came to the point I realize it's not a super rare car so as long as mods are tasteful I should be ok if I ever do sell. Just gonna have to decide if I want a dedicated track car or a fun Street car and go from there i guess. Thanks for the input guys here's a few pics. Currently restoring interior. It's red now debating a color change but think I might end up just leaving the red.
    With that being said, I would build the 93 as your track car. Leave the 82 as is and enjoy it. Once you get the 93 on the track it’s going to be a love-hate relationship. Awesome when it’s running but your gonna hate her when she brakes and continually need your time and money. Don’t let that happen to the 82. Just something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by saleen428 View Post
    With that being said, I would build the 93 as your track car. Leave the 82 as is and enjoy it. Once you get the 93 on the track it’s going to be a love-hate relationship. Awesome when it’s running but your gonna hate her when she brakes and continually need your time and money. Don’t let that happen to the 82. Just something to think about.

Thats kind of where i been leaning. I mean in reality both cars are pretty much in same spot as far as needed everything ( minus already having a 302 in 82). So ill probably take my time build 93 and enjoy the 82 in the process.

Deciding what motor is just as hard lol. Plan on doing a supercharger build but stuck between a 351w build or a coyote. Ill probably do the 351w as I just cant get past the old pushrod cammed out sound over the coyote advantages due to being newer.

How old are you ,? The older you are just a sweet street car is nice.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

I am 34. Always been into going fast. I have been around from camaros, to a jaguar, to a air bagged malibu, turbo hondas, a handful of srt4s. This is my first mustang.

Ill never race on street was never a fan of it even when younger. I never wanted to be that guy to possibly cause harm to someone else if an accident happened. One srt4 I had was built up and I probably raced it less than 10 times. I just enjoy doing the work and having a bad ass car.

The bracket racing idea I got from the guy I bought the 82 from. He has an aero foxbody with a built 408 all motor that runs right at 6.0 in 1/8th. Went a few times with him and just thought it would be fun.