Close

Thread: New Capri Owner

Default New Capri Owner

Hey all,

New to the forum. Just picked up a '79 Capri RS. It's a 2.8, auto car. Car has been sitting since '99 and needs some love. Motor is locked up, apparently the trans was slipping which is why it was originally parked.

I'm considering options for a new drivetrain. Not sure I want to go the V8 route.

I'm looking for a good source for original parts. The interior is falling apart and I'll need a bunch of the plastic stuff from the interior.

Also looking for an original 3 piece spoiler (yes I know it's not 'correct' for the '79).

Are there any good sources for parts?

Thanks.

Welcome to FEP! Congrats on the new to you RS!

Original parts for the Capri will be limited in regards to new availability. You are going to have to find good used replacements for much of what you need most likely. You can check out National Parts Depot https://www.npdlink.com/1979-1993-mustang , https://lmr.com/1979-93-Mustang , https://www.foxresto.com/Default.asp They will carry most of the currently available replacement parts and pieces. There are differences between some of the year models, but much of the interior is interchangeable from 79-86 for both the Capri and the Mustang. So there are options to find the parts you need. Some of the 87-93 Mustang interior parts and pieces can be swapped in too generally with simple modifications too.

Personally I like the 3 piece rear spoiler on ALL Capri and think the car looks naked without it! Ebay, Craigslist, and a WTB posted here on FEP are your best options for finding a good rear spoiler. Again a Mustang rear spoiler is the same.

Drivetrain swaps can be a bit involved, so I would recommend doing some research and think about what you really need and want before committing to anything. Personally I love a SBF in any Fox body, but depending on what you need/want rebuilding the 2.8 may be an option. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Welcome! any pics?

depending on where you live There are lots of people with parts and people with Capri only stuff. And I'm one of them
    1 of 3 1985 Silver Grand Prix Capr's
    My first New car and still own 1986 Capri

welcome...... and yes PICTURES are a MUST! and there are plenty on "US" old capri dudes here
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Quote Originally Posted by NAVYCAT View Post
    welcome...... and yes PICTURES are a MUST! and there are plenty on "US" old capri dudes here
    True statement. I've seen his current project. TOTALLY IN DEPTH. Poor Capri was gutted...... Joe, you have a rare case of OCD. NO WONDER WE CLICKED.
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

Quote Originally Posted by conmech View Post
    True statement. I've seen his current project. TOTALLY IN DEPTH. Poor Capri was gutted...... Joe, you have a rare case of OCD. NO WONDER WE CLICKED.
    HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dont tell people about my Problems with loving Capri's LOL
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Quote Originally Posted by NAVYCAT View Post
    HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dont tell people about my Problems with loving Capri's LOL
    Oops, sorry. Lol.
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

Thanks for all the replies!

This car is amazingly complete. It looks like the owners just parked it in ‘99 and never touched it again. I found the original owners and operators manual in it, the registration from ‘84 on, even the title transfer receipt from when they bought it in ‘84. A real time capsule.

Here are the only photos I have. The awful photos from the Craigslist ad.
    Name:  90d3ISb.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  286.8 KB
    Name:  6iFhkOF.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  133.5 KB

And one more with me mocking up the spoiler from the ‘89 GT I grabbed for $15.
    Name:  94B10A52-1AA8-4FA4-BCBF-DC5773F11A6F.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  119.0 KB

Pull the spark plugs and put some penetrating oil down the holes. Let it sit a week and add a little ATF in the plug holes and leave her a few more days. See if you can bar her over.

Regardless of what you ultimately do, having an engine that turns over opens doors to getting her to a place where the car can be enjoyed.

V8 swap is a big job. Sounds like a winter project really, IMO

Buff that old gal out and touch up the paint in a few places or cruise it as is.

Looks like she will clean up great for the most part

I put some Marvel Mystery Oil down the cylinders. I’m going to let it sit a bit longer and see if I can get it to free up.

It’s a big project to do a swap, I agree. But I’m not afraid to do a big project. Have a few restomods under my built. Unfortunately it’s 3rd down the list of my projects at the moment so it doesn’t get a lot of attention.

As a fellow Capri Owner resurrecting an ole' left for dead Capri too! I wish you nothing but good luck!

Hope you are able to get the engine to free up, I am doing the same thing with a 351W right now myself.

Oh and not to be a major PITA, but your rear spoiler is not an 89 GT version. That could be a 1986 GT rear spoiler, otherwise its a 87-93 LX rear spoiler. Looks good either way and personally much better than the 87-93 GT spoiler does on a Capri IMHO.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Not a pain. I actually appreciate the correction.

U-Pull had the car listed as an ‘89 GT. Didn’t know they were wrong.

Congrats on the purchase. Nice pics. Best of luck with it.
    conmech - aka Marshall

Good looking project!!!!