Close

Default Replacing seats with something more modern

So for my '84 convertible I have set a goal of having more modern leather, power seats. I have a pair of gorgeous seats from an '09 Fusion and am ready to go except I have no idea of what the hell I am doing. Since the motors came installed on the seats I thought it would just be an issue of finding or making brackets to adapt them (something I am reasonably confident of being able to do) and supplying power to the seat (beginning to look like a nightmare). Physically the seats will fit and if I have to go without power it will not be the end of the world, but I want this. The airbags on the seat will not be used of course, but I would like to remove them for safety reasons.

So if anyone has done this, I would appreciate advice or at least tell me I am insane.

09 Fusion seats...

Name:  2009-ford-fusion-v6-sel-sedan-front-seat.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  74.8 KB
    1984 Convertible

Bottom comparison of the seats. Obviously the frame rails have a wider stance but they will sit in the car. My first though is to remove the mounting brackets from both the make adapters so the brackets from the old seats mount to the same position when welded to the new rails.
    Name:  20190330_180805.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  135.4 KB

Identified some of the parts. The heated seat option is probably out unless I can figure out some kind ofswitch.

Name:  20190330_180539.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  148.8 KB
    1984 Convertible

I have not done exactly what you are trying to do, but I have installed different seats into different vehicles over the years.

Obviously if you want the power seat base you will have to adapt the Fusion seat tracks to the Mustang floor mounts. That may be simple brackets and/or cutting/welding of the tracks to make it all fit. Unfortunately very difficult to gauge via the internet and couple of pictures.

The simpler option may be to get rid of the power seat base and adapt the Mustang seat tracks to the Fusion seat. Again welding/cutting/fabrication will be necessary. I know Ford in the past had used the same basic seat bottom mount dimensions between several models. So you might get lucky or the adapter might be just some simple flat stock with 2 sets of holes, one to mount to seat and the other to the tracks.

As for power to the seat for the seat tracks, seat heat, etc. First make sure you fuse any power lead going to the seat, especially if you pull the power from the battery, solenoid or any other non fused location. If using the power seat tracks, then you will most likely want that to be hot all the time. I would look at pulling power from the battery or solenoid, fused to the seat. That way you can adjust the seat with the car on or not, but you will want to make sure there is no drain on the system from the seat otherwise you will drain the battery.

The seat heater needs to be switched and should be ignition only power. That can most likely be pulled from the fuse panel. The switch can be installed somewhere in the dash, console, etc. I don't know on the Fusion seat heater if there are multiple heat levels or if it is a single on/off setup. That is something you will need to verify and that will determine what type of switch you need. The other option is to get a switch for a 2009 Fusion and the wiring harness to retrofit into your Mustang. A bit more involved, but can add that cool OEM look when done correctly.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Cool project! I sat in one of those seats for many years, and they are dang nice! Look forward to following this one!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Cool project! I sat in one of those seats for many years, and they are dang nice! Look forward to following this one!
    You wouldn't have a link to a wiring diagram, would you?
    1984 Convertible

For what it’s worth, select 1993 mustang seats were power base and are a direct boltin

you should be able to adapt the 93 power rails to the seat base

You will want to use a fused hot lead going to a relay and then use a switch off the ignition to kick the relay on.

An amplifier install kit is a simple yet near ideal basic setup for heavy duty power. Make the seat adjustment leads fused but always on.

good luck!

Looking into things a bit closer and it turns out the seats are from a 13-16 Fusion... My plan for mounting the is to take the brackets off of both seats, mount the 84 brackets in the car, the use a couple of strips of metal to make a template for the size, the use that to weld the '84 brackets to the '13 rails .Now if I could find a wiring diagram.
    1984 Convertible

the biggest thing you should keep in mind is seat height. It may sit way too high if you use the original frame with those motors
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

Quote Originally Posted by v8only View Post
    the biggest thing you should keep in mind is seat height. It may sit way too high if you use the original frame with those motors
    This had occurred to me, but they seem comparable. If nothing else, as mentioned I can get some Mustang seat tracks and adapt those. I think they are straight over swaps until 2000 or so.
    1984 Convertible

Till 2004 however the 94-04 seats sit really high on a fox too
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

Those are sharp seats well worth reworking for planned application.

Did similar in my Ranger. Installed Ranger STX sport bucket seat. Works great.
    Took a bit to actually do the conversion correctly. Was simple to do in the end after hours of fiddle learning.
    Took the SuperCab double level tracks off because the seat height was way too high in a std cab.

The new seat itself has power lumbar and side bolsters, nothing else was powered.
    The motors are mounted in the bottom seat frame, no motors mounted on the tracks.
    Installed the manual seat track from my truck to the new seat.
    The stock seat track in my truck is manual fore/aft. The new seat was manual adj too.

Any remote seat button controls would complicate activating those functions.
    If control buttons are seat mounted, all that is needed is to add 12v power for the motors.
    Mine are. Simply fabbed a new fused power harness to the power connector for the motors.
    The new 15a circuit extension also powers added accessories like the aux radio amp, 12v power points.
    Tapped into existing unused cigar lighter wire.